Waking Up In The Middle Of The Night Since Peating

ebs

I noticed when I stopped taking so many supplements, I slept better. Are you taking many?

I'm taking several high quality supplements that are generally recommended on this forum (magnesium, glycine, taurine, etc.) I'm currently in the process of elimating or replacing the few that contain titanium/silicum dioxide. However, I was having these sleep issues long before starting these supplements and ironically the ones that happen to contain these ingredients (zinc and magnesium) improve my sleep quality and wellbeing.

Cirion

I'm having this problem really badly as well.

So far the only solution has been to eat obscene amounts of calories at night / total for the day (IE, I did pretty decently when I ate 5000 calories in one day). Plus, I can't seem to do well unless fat is really high (I woke up hungry last night even with 150g fat for the day, and 4200 total calories).

Is eating all the fat a Band-Aid, or is it a sign I truly need a lot of fat in my diet (mostly Saturated, with some MUFA, and almost no PUFA).

Makes me think the problem is simply due to not eating enough food in general maybe? I will say that going to bed hungry is a big mistake. I only seem to do well when I go to bed well sated from food.

I guess my ability to store glucose in my system is compromised too which doesn't help.

brocktoon

Eating fatty things like eggs, cheese, or red meat should alleviate this. If it doesn't, it means you're consuming too much insulin spiking foods throughout the day (juice and milk for example), you'll need to start scaling back and removing them systematically until you find you can sleep through the night.
Wouldn't simply eating fatty, protein-based foods like eggs/cheese/meat inevitably drop your blood sugar and, per your post, cause your insulin to spike? Should one not combine protein from such sources with some carbohydrate in order to preempt this from happening, especially before bed?

GreekDemiGod

I'm a 23 year old male. I'm of normal weight. 5'11 , 165lbs. I've recently had a hormone panel and everything came back normal besides testosterone, which is on the low side at 410 ( 360-1100)

Since I began Peating (increased calories and consuming sugar and milk) in the beginning of the month I've been waking up in the middle night feeling very hot, hungry, and thirsty.
Wow, my experience is very much similar to yours in multiple ways, ever since peating, I wake up at midnight needing to both drink water and urinate. I'm sweaty and feel a surge of adrenaline when this happens.
It is absolutely sugar-related, possibly prediabetes, but then how do we solve it from a Peat prism?

I'm eating 400g + of carbs / day.

If I reintroduce oats, I bet my money it will fix this problem, they're a slow digesting carb, but then again, oats are not Peat.
The Paleo folks would advise to get some fat at dinner to slow down the insuline / sugar cycle.

somuch4food

Wow, my experience is very much similar to yours in multiple ways, ever since peating, I wake up at midnight needing to both drink water and urinate. I'm sweaty and feel a surge of adrenaline when this happens.
It is absolutely sugar-related, possibly prediabetes, but then how do we solve it from a Peat prism?

If I reintroduce oats, I bet my money it will fix this problem, they're a slow digesting carb, but then again, oats are not Peat.
The Paleo folks would advise to get some fat at dinner to slow down the insuline / sugar cycle.

If you think oats will fix the problem, go ahead and try it! [Perceive, think, act] They are not the Peatiest, but they are not garbage either. It might be better to gradually reduce starches instead of cutting them out entirely, or you might function better with starches in your diet.

Night sweats in my case were related to too much carotenoids.

Runenight201

At the end of the day the body needs proper energy and nutrients to last the whole night with sufficient needs to repair itself, maintain metabolism, dream, etc...

Just pure sucrose is energy but no nutrients, and it’s a short lived one. In my experience sucrose in itself won’t give sustainable energy, and cannot fill up the energy stores in the body sufficient enough to last the whole night. What’s worse, is that it’s very hard for the body to switch from taking sucrose as a fuel to using its own fat stores (which is why fruitarians need fruit and sugar all the time or else they get moody or tired). Instead of relatively peacefully switching over to catabolizing its own tissues, the body FREAKS out and says I NEED energy gaaaaaaahhh WAKE UP WAKE WAKE UP and TAKE CARE OF ME.

So anytime there is a lack of energy and an inability of the body to properly fast, subpar sleep is had. A solution but unoptimal is to restore the body’s ability to fast and then the optimal solution is to provide the body with sufficient lasting energy AND have it be able to fast.

tara

If you think oats will fix the problem, go ahead and try it! [Perceive, think, act] They are not the Peatiest, but they are not garbage either. It might be better to gradually reduce starches instead of cutting them out entirely, or you might function better with starches in your diet.
+1.

GreekDemiGod

Been taking taurine and glycine past few days (supposed to support glycogen tank). Finally got a decent good night's sleep last night.
My last meal was a mix of fats, sugars and protein.

I always considered myself a very insulin sensitive guy, I'm in top shape, why would I be having such issues?
Probably 4 months on the Carnivore Diet did some damage.

blabla123

This happens to me if I remove starch, to me it always seemed like a problem of eating too few calories but I never tried to count

GreekDemiGod

@blabla123 I'm 6ft, 160 lbs, 12% BF and currently eating 3500 calories / day on a lean / slow bulking phase. Lift weights 5 times / week.
I wonder if I need up to 4000 cal on Peat:angelic::angelic:

I woke up twice feeling very hot, hungry, and thirsty.
wow you are so lucky! i wake up an avarage of 4 times per night, on this last week iam waking up at 4-5hrs of sleep and not being able to go back. right now iam feeling like a zombie ;-;, i also have broked a record: waking up more to 10 times in a night of sleep, i even lost the count but it was 10-15 times