Waking Up In The Middle Of The Night Since Peating

ballomar

It depends on the day. My eating schedule and the foods I eat change on a daily basis. But yesterday here's what I ate and I woke up in
the middle of night yesterday, feeling very hot and thirsty

10 am: 2 eggs and potatoes (300 calories)
2 PM: 12 inch italian sub (1200)
6 PM: Rice and some chicken ( 600 calories)
10 PM: 10 sugar cookies ( bad choice, I know lol) ( 400 calories)
1 AM: 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (240 calories)

I had the olive oil because someone suggested I eat some fat before going to bed to prevent waking up through the night.
Didn't work yesterday.

My first reaction was that you are not eating enough. But you're 23 and 5'11, you might need more than 3000 calories per day perhaps as much as 3500.

When I wake up in the middle of the night a sugar snack fixes it. My advice is to get up and have a tablespoon of honey, or a warm mug of milk with honey dissolved in it. That should fix any stress hormone issues for the rest of the night. I'd ditch the olive oil at 1 a.m. and have honey or something sweet, (e.g dates, mango) before going to bed. Works for me.

I no longer wake up in the middle of the night but I do pee a lot. My bladder is extremely small

I've had this problem in the past, I think it's low potassium. Try a quarter teaspoon KCl once a day dissolved in a cup of water. Make sure it's dissolved properly because it can irritate the stomach, and have it right after a meal for the same reason. You can buy KCl at most big supermarkets, I've seen it sold as "Nu-Salt".

Don't do this if you have a history of kidney problems, because then potassium can be fatal. In fact you should probably get a chem panel done first just to make sure there are no issues.

And dude lol at your diet. Are you trying to Peat? Because that's not very Peaty.

brocktoon

My worst sleep was on the milk diet. I would wake up with an adrenaline surge shortly after going to sleep, then again at 3 am. Sometimes every 2 hrs. I get the best sleep by balancing blood sugar throughout the day. I don't drink milk anymore, but I do eat quite a bit of haagen dazs (which is 58% fat) in the evening, and then sometimes a snack before bed like a piece of fruit and cheese. I can sleep through the night if I get it right. I disagree that sugar causes the drops though, I think milk is a powerful insulin spiker.
High glycemic foods like table sugar and highly refined carbs do make insulin levels surge upward, setting up an inevitable downward surge/crash. Fruit juices are highly glycemic (much more so than milk), so I don't understand why so many here suggest chugging OJ before and even during sleep -- it does seem to set one up for a self-defeating crash (and an onslaught of cortisol)...

Risingfire

High glycemic foods like table sugar and highly refined carbs do make insulin levels surge upward, setting up an inevitable downward surge/crash. Fruit juices are highly glycemic (much more so than milk), so I don't understand why so many here suggest chugging OJ before and even during sleep -- it does seem to set one up for a self-defeating crash (and an onslaught of cortisol)...

Are you hypo? Have you read any of Ray's work?

brocktoon

Are you hypo? Have you read any of Ray's work?
Yes, after reading info here, I realized I am hypo and that my liver issues (NASH) are tied to being hypo. But I'm having difficulty understanding the reasons why drinking OJ at or during the night would help me. I'm correcting my hypo symptoms with TyroMax, but getting my liver to work correctly is a befuddling challenge.

DuggaDugga

The suggestion to eat sugar right before bed (I do a tablespoon of raw honey to minimize liquids) is to replenish glycogen stores with sucrose/fructose which has a buffered insulin response relative to pure glucose. I think a majority of people when they begin stimulating their thyroid also have poor liver function and subsequently poor hepatic glycogen storage. So, they're burning faster through glycogen that they're less capable of storing, wake up hungry and needing to urinate and often a bit agitated. Sleeping is effectively an ~8 hour fast.

I had the exact same experience. I never woke up to urinate when my thyroid function was poor. As soon as I started "Peating" I was always hungry (especially for fruit) and struggled getting through the night without needing to eat at least once. A tablespoon of honey stopped that for me. I would definitely advise it to anyone in similar circumstances.

brocktoon

Thank you, DD. I had forgotten the point about how the body metabolizes fructose/sucrose/glucose, so I do better understand how things like OJ and honey are not metabolized like say crappy HFCS fruit punch is. I'm one of those people who are hypothyroid with a poorly functioning fatty liver that can't store glycogen very well. So, while I can address the hypothyroid issue with supplemental thyroid hormone, I'm at a continuing disadvantage by the problems my impaired liver presents. Will experiment with honey -- thanks.

ebs

Eating fatty things like eggs, cheese, or red meat should alleviate this. If it doesn't, it means you're consuming too much insulin spiking foods throughout the day (juice and milk for example), you'll need to start scaling back and removing them systematically until you find you can sleep through the night.

I thought eggs were very powerful at spiking insulin, so how does that makes sense?

I don’t wake up anymore until morning. Eat dinner, sometime dessert, and am fasting until breakfast. I think liver and glycogen stores are better. Or perhaps free fatty acids are doing their job.

MrThyroid

more eating would just surpress the symptoms by stoping fatloss (pufa,toxins).
Your liver, gallblader, kidneys or in general your organs re overloaded they re working so hard. I had the same thing like you try to reduce the toxic overload on your detoxing organs (liver, kidney).
Take some aspirin , vitamin e, eat high fiber or take AC once or two in week. You can also try take liposamal glutathion in reduced form, but i would just try take more fiber and AC.

ebs

I don’t wake up anymore until morning. Eat dinner, sometime dessert, and am fasting until breakfast. I think liver and glycogen stores are better. Or perhaps free fatty acids are doing their job.

Any key components that helped you manage this? I'm still dealing with this annoying problem.

Any key components that helped you manage this? I'm still dealing with this annoying problem.

I think it's just going back to what worked in the past. As @James had said. Don't sweat free fatty acids late at night. Let them do their work. I stopped eating past 9 or 10 at night. I go to sleep around midnight or 1 in the morning and sleep soundly until 6 or 7, which is plenty of sleep for me. I often nap during the day for an hour.

I was so worked up about eating before sleeping that it messed me up.

Risingfire

yeah maybe they stimulate you too much more adrenalin and more DHT defenitly leads to worse sleep
I doubt DHT leads to worse sleep. I did notice when I took magnesium oil with the supplements, it fixed the adrenaline surges

MrThyroid

I doubt DHT leads to worse sleep. I did notice when I took magnesium oil with the supplements, it fixed the adrenaline surges
yes because you wont fall asleep try high dose of DHT in evening cya sleep DHT is like thyroid it pushes you. But thyroid makes you also fall asleep fast and correct ryhtmus

Vinero

+1... all pro-metabolic supplements negatively effect my sleep...
Try eating food before going to bed, without any supplements.
That is a much better recipe for getting the body relaxed and ready for sleep.
DHT and thyroid are better to take during the day, when you need to be active.

ebs

I think it's just going back to what worked in the past. As @James had said. Don't sweat free fatty acids late at night. Let them do their work. I stopped eating past 9 or 10 at night. I go to sleep around midnight or 1 in the morning and sleep soundly until 6 or 7, which is plenty of sleep for me. I often nap during the day for an hour.

I was so worked up about eating before sleeping that it messed me up.

Interesting. Unfortunately I depend on mirtazapine to fall asleep but as a side effect I have difficulty falling asleep on an empty stomach. However, I have noticed on the rare occassion I was able to fall asleep on an empty stomach my sleep was more refreshing and deep. I now only eat a small banana for sleep though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals