Waking Up At 3,4 Am With Loud Heart Beats

Tourist

i have cheese and oj at my nightstand and I think they've helped me get back to sleep only twice. I go to bed tired and having eaten a protein and sugar and like clockwork I can't sleep through the night.

I'm 52 so it's likely menopause symptoms going on but not clearly evident to me what they are. The waking starred slowly maybe a test ago and got progressively worse 6 months ago.

No thyroid but recently added t3 to levothyroxine to optimize levels.

Any ideas what's causing me to wake so prematurely and then u able to fall asleep? First thing that happens is I hear my heart beating --not fast just loud.

Ingenol

I experience this sometimes as well. For me it's not so much loud as "strong" (but no faster). I'd say I experience it an average of once a week, and it usually takes me an hour or so to get back to sleep.

I'm male so I doubt it's menopause in my case, but perhaps its estrogen-related? I have varicose veins and some other symptoms of high estrogen.

Last edited:
M

marikay

Hi. I used to have this problem. It's a liver-doesn't- store-enough-glycogen thing. The pounding heart is adrenaline trying to squeeze the last bit of glycogen out of your liver. It's fixable, but it takes a while. You'll need to make sure you get over 100 grams of Peat quality protein and 400 grams of sugar/fructose and plenty of salt. I also tried using the high level of caffeine and k2 approach but to no avail. The high protein, high sugar, no PUFA approach is what worked for me. It took about a month to get results. Now I never wake up before 7:30, which is a relief. Good Luck.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

This post makes the most sense and gives me something that seems likely to be impacting me. I'm deeply appreciative for your insights. Thank u!

Hi. I used to have this problem. It's a liver-doesn't- store-enough-glycogen thing. The pounding heart is adrenaline trying to squeeze the last bit of glycogen out of your liver. It's fixable, but it takes a while. You'll need to make sure you get over 100 grams of Peat quality protein and 400 grams of sugar/fructose and plenty of salt. I also tried using the high level of caffeine and k2 approach but to no avail. The high protein, high sugar, no PUFA approach is what worked for me. It took about a month to get results. Now I never wake up before 7:30, which is a relief. Good Luck.

tara

I've occasionally had waking with loud heart beats in the night, though not usually. I think I've usually been able to put it down to one or more of:
- hunger
- thirst/dehydration
- overheating (eg accidentally left electric blanket on)
- emotional distress
- hyperventilation (incl mouth-breathing), quite possibly triggered by one or more of the above

M

marikay

This post makes the most sense and gives me something that seems likely to be impacting me. I'm deeply appreciative for your insights. Thank u!

You are very welcome. And one last thing. Everything that I have ever tried that worked for me came directly from Ray Peat, either by personal advice or by his writings and interviews. I'm grateful to have found him and this forum. Cheers.

jet9

This.