Vtamin D - Topical Or Oral, And Whether You Need To Adjust Dose With Either Method

jaakkima

I'm not making sense of the information out there. Do you all prefer one way or the other? Does one need a higher dose topically or vice versa? I have the Carlson liquid one in mct.

mirc12354

After trying both I think Ray is on the money with the topical approach. I notice a big difference when I started using vitamin d and then after a week all the vitamins topically again after not using them for several months; mood, energy,strength etc. Haidut has posted a lot of interesting info about effects of vitamins topically vs orally.
How do you apply it topically? Do you mix it with olive oil or just rub a couple drops of it alone onto the skin?

Rickyman

How do you apply it topically? Do you mix it with olive oil or just rub a couple drops of it alone onto the skin?

Maybe using coconut oil would be a better option. Some studies suggest vit d + aloe vera

Our study shows that our formulation of vitamin D3 can safely and effectively be delivered by dermal route reducing the incidence of non-compliance of oral route. Most common routes of administration of VD is either oral or recently invasive injectable route. For any drug large proportions of oral prescriptions are never taken at all (14). Recent estimates for noncompliance range from study to study with ranges of 62 to 84 percent using electronic monitoring (15, 16) hence we believe that in the young and elderly oral route can be by passed by the use of transdermal route.

Topical Delivery of Vitamin D3: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study read more here.

Dan W

Maybe using coconut oil would be a better option. Some studies suggest vit d + aloe vera
I'd agree with this. Rubbing a few drops of it into my skin was not enough to prevent me from having low levels. Although I think I burn through vitamin D faster than normal for some reason, so it's possible it'd work for someone else.

I haven't been able to find exactly what the "Top-D" product used in the above study involves, but they mention, "we used a composition of aromatic oils [maybe in addition to aloe?] and glycerine as permeation enhancer."

Wilfrid

@Dan,

I found that the use of a good hydrating hand sanitizer could greatly enhance the transdermal absorption.
The protocol that I'm currently using is this: I put between 15000-20000 IU of D on my skin then I add a few drops of olive oil as well as few drops of a hand sanitizer.
For the hand sanitizer, I use the following brand: GEL ASSAINISSANT Neutral - Alphanova I dunno if you can find this brand in the U.S.....
The ingredients are: Alcohol, Aqua, Glycerin, Aloe vera leaf extract, Xanthan gum.
Unsaturated fatty acids from the olive oil, alcohol, water, glycerin and aloe vera extract from the hand sanitizer as well as the MCT oil from the vitamin D product are all well known very safe transdermal enhancer.
I could feel the difference when using this combination on my forehead and/or neck ( top of feet are great too.). For other skin location, a slight dermal abrasion before the application is also very helpful ( thanks to a forum member for the tip.)

Last edited:

Wilfrid

You could also prepare, to enhance further the percutaneous absorption and then probably approaching the " Top-D" original formula, a mix of some olive oil and some drops of D-Limonene oil ( here is a good one: Limonene | Premier Research Labs | Premier Research Labs | PRL ) in a dropper and then use a few drops with the D / hand sanitizer combo.
I used this combo ( olive oil + limonene ) during the darkest days of the year and stop using it 1-2 months before the summer time.

Last edited:

Dan W

Thanks Wilfrid, I've been really curious about this kind of thing. Someday when I'm independently wealthy, I want to get before-and-after bloodwork when testing different approaches to transdermal nutrients. I suspect it'd really help people to know what amounts seem to work, where to apply them, and with what carriers. And also to know which ones just sit there uncooperatively on the skin (I'm looking at you with suspicious eyes, magnesium oil).

Rickyman

Do you add twice the recommended amount if doing topical? I thought topical vit d had a very high absorption %

REOSIRENS

I prefer taking orally ... I take D3 dry yeast form... 3000ui a day is fine as long as you take only 5000ui vitamin a day or not at all

Waynish

I don't get side effects from D3 if I use it topically... But maybe that is due to much lower absorption. I wonder if the ratio of K:D in Estroban is still good when considering how well K is absorbed through the skin (how well is it?)...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals