Vortioxetine VS Lithium Carbonate For Depression?

bionicheart

I've been prescribed Trintellix (Vortioxetine) for treatment resistant depression (after the nightmare mood swings with amps.) Vortioxetine - Wikipedia
It's not really talked about here (just one thread) but it's a newer drug that my doctor said is not an SSRI but a "serotonin modulater" and a 5-HT1A agonist. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it not act on similar SRT receptors that MDMA does...? And it sounds like it IS an SSRI, which I want to avoid. She said if this doesn't help, we could try a low dose of Lithium.
I've had depression off and on throughout my life but I gave up self medicating almost 3 weeks ago. And have been tapering off benzos for anxiety/OCD. I tried mirtazapine in the past but it ended up making me more irritated and groggy... I know pharmaceuticals are generally a bandaid and not a cure, so with this in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on which route is safer...if safe at all?
I've read a lot of great things about lithium but also a lot of bad, along with everything else on the web. I feel I need a "kickstart" out of this dark place as I've had Anhedonia for a while now.
I'm 28 and my TSH is 1.27.
I supplement with progesterone, taurine, magnesium, D3, and B vitamins.
I'm going through some major changes in my life and I have to be able to function, I've missed 2 days of work in the last 2 weeks and can't eat much other than liquids and ice cream. Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.

DaveFoster

@bionic heart

Did you ever up taking vortioxetine, and did you have a positive experience?

Frankdee20

Lithium isn’t really great for unipolar depression. It’s got a good track record for preventing suicides, but it’s not really an antidepressant.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

@bionic heart

Did you ever up taking vortioxetine, and did you have a positive experience?
no, I never tried it. A lot of the side effects include headaches, nausea/vomiting and GI issues, so I figured it raises serotonin too much. its a very new drug so I was hesitant to try it. If my depression does not improve through other means, I may research vortioxetine more and try it, since I still have the RX. It also raises questions when I had more than one doctor try to put me on it.... :shrugs::

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

Lithium isn’t really great for unipolar depression. It’s got a good track record for preventing suicides, but it’s not really an antidepressant.
yeah, and my doc said she thinks it would "kick my butt" sense I'm so sensitive to pharmaceuticals.

DaveFoster

no, I never tried it. A lot of the side effects include headaches, nausea/vomiting and GI issues, so I figured it raises serotonin too much. its a very new drug so I was hesitant to try it. If my depression does not improve through other means, I may research vortioxetine more and try it, since I still have the RX. It also raises questions when I had more than one doctor try to put me on it.... :shrugs::
I came to similar conclusions. I even noticed serotonergic effects from trazodone (its mCPP metabolite most likely.)

Tianeptine, cyproheptadine with caffeine, and mirtazapine all have antidepressant effects, but mixing TCAs (although mirtazapine's a tetracyclic antidepressant (TeCA,) it has many of the risks associated with TCAs) can increase the concentrations of both drugs and lead to some very serious problems (particularly with mirtazapine in the mix,) the most notable being a lengthened QT interval, also known as torsades de pointes.

Caffeine (or coffee) acts as a very powerful antidepressant, but there's the matter of insomnia as well as its anxiogenic effects, (which diminish only to some extent.)

Lithium has been shown to be effective for a wide range psychiatric conditions, but even with regular testing to ensure a proper blood level, certain medications (or dehydration) can increase blood levels, where you'll quickly find yourself in the ER.

Frankdee20

Does anyone know if low dose occasional Lithium is serotonergic ? Seems as though it’s anti manic action comes from its ability to influence Glutamate. Interestingly, it also seems to work on DA function by sensitizing receptors that otherwise get down regulated during mania, which is postulated to cause the lows of bi polar. That may explain its antidepressant effects

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know if low dose occasional Lithium is serotonergic ? Seems as though it’s anti manic action comes from its ability to influence Glutamate. Interestingly, it also seems to work on DA function by sensitizing receptors that otherwise get down regulated during mania, which is postulated to cause the lows of bi polar. That may explain its antidepressant effects
Did you ever from anyone on this?
I saw a medical article recently that said lithium was serotonergic, but no more details than that.

dukesbobby777

Did you ever from anyone on this?
I saw a medical article recently that said lithium was serotonergic, but no more details than that.

I'm sure it probably interacts with many receptors, but essentially it's action is to stabilise. So like Frank said, it takes away the lows, but it will also take away the highs (the joys of life). Like any mood stabiliser. Personally, I prefer to keep the joys of life if it means darker moments here or there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals