Vitamins/Minerals One Needs To Supplement On a "Peat" Diet?

Dr. B

I think that zinc is insufficient in the classic „Ray Peat Diet“.
I think the diet is the recipe to get histapenia (low histamine) with all the dairy (calcium lowers histamines), vitamin D, coffee and beef liver (copper lowering histamines via DAO/HNMT) and on-top the low red meat recommendation (one of the only sources of zinc with a lack of copper)
I think the copper:zinc ratio should at least be 1:10, and up to 1:15.
poor thyroid makes it more likely to get copper overload i think

Marcine

What do you think of chicken liver? It seems to be the better option for weekly liver aside for a higher pufa content.
I make a chicken liver pate and use loads of butter. (onions, red wine, parsley) and I hate liver so you know its good. Accordng to Peat if you cook pufas in saturated fat it cancels out the pufa. He uses coconut oil to fry his bacon.

changeling188

if the situation is not that severe it's more meaningful to enact metabolic change by changes to your food, activity, mindset and unlearn the medical 'pill for everything' attitude tbh. psychosomatic effect seems to be lost to much of this forum

Dr. B

I make a chicken liver pate and use loads of butter. (onions, red wine, parsley) and I hate liver so you know its good. Accordng to Peat if you cook pufas in saturated fat it cancels out the pufa. He uses coconut oil to fry his bacon.
i thought he skims off the fat from the bacon first before using coconut oil. he did mention its the ratio of SFA to PUFA that matters more than the total intake of either. but then the lower you can get pufa the more the ratio improves. it may be better to do mostly milkfat, ghee, tallow, butter etc and leave a small amount of pufa allotment on a bit of black seed oil or something...

mostlylurking

yeah, magnesium is the one!
I would add zinc, but i just read a study where zinc may cause macular degeneration... I better stick to liver once a week and oysters once a month :)
Some people like high doses of thiamine but I think it is just another fad ... on a normal diet you should be fine with thiamine
I don't think that it is safe to assume you are fine with thiamine; it depends on what you are eating and calling a "Peat diet". If you are eating sugar or sugary foods and you are avoiding a multitude of sources of thiamine because they aren't particularly "Peaty" I think you could be surprised at how low your thiamine supply is in relationship to the demands that you are putting on it. Thiamine gets used up when processing glucose into ATP. It also depends on how healthy your gut is and if you are taking any prescription drugs, including antibiotics. Does your gut have the kind of bacteria that makes thiamine? Or is it high in the bacteria that makes thiaminase instead? Thiaminase - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
and: Causes of thiamine deficiency

Here's Ray talking about thiamine:

View: https://youtu.be/rGPvNwrnRAI?t=2414

Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: https://lifegivingstore.com/ray-peat-on-vitamin-b1-thiamine/

Diet sources for thiamine include all the refined grain products (like bread, pastries, etc.) because of the legal requirement to "fortify" them with thiamine; also legumes, pork, red meat, tofu, flax seeds. You get the idea. Thiamine is in a lot of the things that people tend to avoid when following a "Peat diet".

Dr. B

I don't think that it is safe to assume you are fine with thiamine; it depends on what you are eating and calling a "Peat diet". If you are eating sugar or sugary foods and you are avoiding a multitude of sources of thiamine because they aren't particularly "Peaty" I think you could be surprised at how low your thiamine supply is in relationship to the demands that you are putting on it. Thiamine gets used up when processing glucose into ATP. It also depends on how healthy your gut is and if you are taking any prescription drugs, including antibiotics. Does your gut have the kind of bacteria that makes thiamine? Or is it high in the bacteria that makes thiaminase instead? Thiaminase - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
and: Causes of thiamine deficiency

Here's Ray talking about thiamine:

View: https://youtu.be/rGPvNwrnRAI?t=2414

Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: Ray Peat On Vitamin B1 - Thiamine

Diet sources for thiamine include all the refined grain products (like bread, pastries, etc.) because of the legal requirement to "fortify" them with thiamine; also legumes, pork, red meat, tofu, flax seeds. You get the idea. Thiamine is in a lot of the things that people tend to avoid when following a "Peat diet".

good stuff, those natural sources of thiamine, seems like they have that thiamine to balance out their high PUFA content i suspect the pork is maybe higher in b1 due to the widespread high PUFA pork out there. the breads fortified with thiamine are essentially like supplemental thiamine just added in very small amounts. the key probably is people in hypothyroid conditions develop the gut bacteria issue, or the gut bacteria issue causes the hypothyroidism, so probably get thiaminase bacteria, so you need to supplement a good amount of thiamine probably. fortified breads have too little. and fish probably has thiamine but they have thiaminases too. quercetin/rutin are listed as anti thiamine substances on wikipedia.
eating plain white rice, white sugar can also probably worsen things since they dont have thiamine

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals