Vitamins/Minerals One Needs To Supplement On a "Peat" Diet?

Apple

I suppose magnesium is one of the few minerals that should be supplemented?
yeah, magnesium is the one!
I would add zinc, but i just read a study where zinc may cause macular degeneration... I better stick to liver once a week and oysters once a month :)
Some people like high doses of thiamine but I think it is just another fad ... on a normal diet you should be fine with thiamine

Marcine

Peat doesn't have a "diet." He likes dairy, OJ, coffee, and liver 1X a week. Loads of recommended supplements if you're healing though. He's got people like Kate Deering that put together a food template for metabolic healing, but let's get this right-he does not have a diet.

I

i_nomad

Peat doesn't have a "diet." He likes dairy, OJ, coffee, and liver 1X a week. Loads of recommended supplements if you're healing though. He's got people like Kate Deering that put together a food template for metabolic healing, but let's get this right-he does not have a diet.
I’m fairly certain that’s what was being inferred by using the quotations around Peat…

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

I would add zinc, but i just read a study where zinc may cause macular degeneration... I better stick to liver once a week and oysters once a month :)
Some people like high doses of thiamine but I think it is just another fad ... on a normal diet you should be fine with thiamine
I see, so one can't go wrong with magnesia supplementation and a good B complex

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

I thought he said you get sufficient magnesium from on and milk?
If you're in a hypo state, you lose magnesium and sodium pretty rapidly. I personally found relief from constipation and fatigue from magnesium supplementation.

youngsinatra

I think that zinc is insufficient in the classic „Ray Peat Diet“.
I think the diet is the recipe to get histapenia (low histamine) with all the dairy (calcium lowers histamines), vitamin D, coffee and beef liver (copper lowering histamines via DAO/HNMT) and on-top the low red meat recommendation (one of the only sources of zinc with a lack of copper)
I think the copper:zinc ratio should at least be 1:10, and up to 1:15.

Apple

I think the diet is the recipe to get histapenia (low histamine) with all the dairy (calcium lowers histamines), vitamin D, coffee and beef liver (copper lowering histamines via DAO/HNMT) and on-top the low red meat recommendation (one of the only sources of zinc with a lack of copper)
I think Ray Peat was right about getting minerals from foods only...
you never know where suplemental minerals are going to hit you . Those ratios are not proven and can vary from person to person.

Zinc Linked To Macular Degeneration, Study Suggests

Zinc contributes to deposit formation in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease

Apple

I thought he said you get sufficient magnesium from on and milk?
yeah, i can't understand that too...
RP said milk is almost ideal food (contains Mg and Ca, proteins and other staff)... Add some orange juice and coffee and we are completed with all required minerals and Vitamins

Last edited:

peter88

What do you think of chicken liver? It seems to be the better option for weekly liver aside for a higher pufa content.

BearWithMe

I see, so one can't go wrong with magnesia supplementation and a good B complex
Oh boy, you DEFINITELY CAN go wrong with magnesia supplementation and a good B complex. You can totally mess up your health just with these two alone.

Ray Peat is against magnesium supplementation because it causes intestinal irritation, inflammation, rise in histamine and nitric oxide

You don't need to supplement anything on balanced diet based on RP ideas.

Supplements sucks.

They always do more harm than good in the long term.

If you're in a hypo state, you lose magnesium and sodium pretty rapidly. I personally found relief from constipation and fatigue from magnesium supplementation.
Then fix the cause, not the symptom. Magnesium supplementation in hypo state only leads to more magnesium wasting and unnecessary burden on digestive tract

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Oh boy, you DEFINITELY CAN go wrong with magnesia supplementation and a good B complex. You can totally mess up your health just with these two alone.

Ray Peat is against magnesium supplementation because it causes intestinal irritation, inflammation, rise in histamine and nitric oxide

You don't need to supplement anything on balanced diet based on RP ideas.

Supplements sucks.

They always do more harm than good in the long term.

Then fix the cause, not the symptom. Magnesium supplementation in hypo state only leads to more magnesium wasting and unnecessary burden on digestive tract
I drink a lot of milk so my calcium levels are on the high side, and there's hardly any good food with enough magnesium, to balance all the calcium I get

Do you know a reliable T3 source?

B

Braveheart

:thumbsup:

Dr. B

milk is low in copper and has at least 1mg zinc per 8oz, maybe more for the 100% grass fed organic milks, maybe 1.5mg per cup

Red and Black Quotes Instagram Post.png

Dr. B

High calcium reduces zinc absorption
whys/hows that? even the zinc in the milk itself? does it reduce absorption of all other the nutrients
maybe it does something like what it does to iron to improve utliization. lactoferrin or something binds up the iron i heard and helps utilize it properly

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals