Vitamin K2: A Vitamin That Works Like A Hormone, Impinging On Gene Expression

Lucenzo01

Abstract
Vitamin K2 binds to the intranuclear receptor SXR and results in the activation of a plethora of genes, both directly and indirectly. Among these genes are important biological markers of cellular characteristics or features (also known as cell phenotypes), as well as a set of molecules known to be involved in both hormone-induced, G-protein-mediated cell signalling, either directly or indirectly activating so-called sirtuins and/or histone deacetylaces (HDACs), known as determinants of cell types and their specific functions in a given tissue. Hence, vitamin K2 may be closely involved in or serving as a traditional molecular ‘link’ between hormonal receptors and intracellular signalling pathways. It has been stated that a true hormone is a product of living cells, which circulates in body fluids (such as blood) and elicits a specific and often stimulatory effect on the activity of cells situated remotely from its point of origin. A large bulk of evidence published over the past 10 years establishes vitamin K2 in this category of substances. Hence, vitamin K2 should be considered and consequently classified as a hormone.

Full chapter: Vitamin K2: A Vitamin that Works like a Hormone, Impinging on Gene Expression | IntechOpen

AnonE

Any thoughts on Mk-4 vs Mk-7? The latter seems easier to obtain, both through diet and supplementation. So I wonder if it has all the benefits of "K2" when one refers to this vitamin.

Maybe I misunderstand, but isn't activating Sirtuin/SIRT1/etc. and HDAC not exactly good?

I thought inhibiting these things is the ideal since HDAC at least has some role in cancer development pathology or something (or maybe I have some aspect of this backwards)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals