Vitamin K [bioavailability]

pboy

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/11/1/93

so ive been researching bioavailability on vitamin K, because my diet is very low in it and I want to make sure im getting enough. I know very little is needed, but I still like to know. It seems like a little researched topic and not even science has a consensus. However, that study above found out that mk4 is almost not even bioavailable at all, where as mk7 is highly bioavailable. Other studies I read spoke of how vitamin K in a vegetable matrix, I think pertaining mostly to that which has chlorophyll, is only 5-13% bioavailable depending on if the meal has fat or not. Im wondering if perhaps the bacteria then in cheese for example, by turning some of the phyloquinone into mk4 are actually making it non bioavailable...am I interpreting this wrong or have anyone else any information on vitamin K bioavailability?

johns74

Re: vitamin K

mk4 in supplements, at least thorne, is clearly bioavailable. You can test it yourself, have one of those high doses some people use and see what happens. You don't need high doses to have an effect, but if you want to prove quickly it has an effect, you can use a high dose.

lindsay

I have been taking Carlson's Vitamin K2 for awhile now. It's vitamin K2 in the MK-4 form (5,000 mg). It's the one Denise Minger said she had good success with.

So, I don't have a gallbladder and that makes the fat solubles difficult for me, but even taking this boost in K2 has had definite benefits (I get no K2 in my diet otherwise - except in the cheese I eat). I especially feel it in my teeth. They are much stronger as a result of using the supplement.

I'd rather eat liver, but I hate the stuff, so this will have to suffice and it works well for me.

Henry

I dont think serum levels of vitamin K tell you much about its bioavailability, it could be that MK4 (the form the body produces itself) is just readily taken up by the cells, while MK7, because it is not the "natural" form, stays around longer.

Ben

Henry said:
I dont think serum levels of vitamin K tell you much about its bioavailability, it could be that MK4 (the form the body produces itself) is just readily taken up by the cells, while MK7, because it is not the "natural" form, stays around longer.
Good point Henry!

Birdie

This is probably a good place to put this info from Ray regarding Vitamin K and Vitamin E absorption. He said that Vit K and Vitamin E share the same transporters. So, they should be taken apart - even on different days.