Vitamin K Antagonist(s)

Ron J

I've read that there are certain vitamins/substances(not referring to NSAIDS) that antagonize vitamin K; one of them being vitamin C. In the link below, it placed vitamin C as an agonist, which goes against what I previously read. I usually take vitamin K with calcium, thinking that it's a good idea, but Ca in the link is listed as an antagonist.
Vitamin and Mineral Agonists and Antagonists

Constatine

Well the two function together so that is a little odd....After reading the article what they mean is that calcium either uses up vitamin k reserves (more likely) or blocks the absorption of vitamin k if taken at the same time (less likely). Of course calcium will use up vitamin k as that means vitamin k is doing its function. The more calcium you absorb the more vitamin k you will need to transport the calcium to the correct places. In my opinion they completely butchered the term "antagonize". What they mean is the vitamin k and calcium when taken together will speed up calcification and thus more of the nutrients will be used up. I really really doubt that calcium will block the absorption of vitamin k. Actually I am sure of it as they also listed vitamin k as an antagonist for vitamin d. Vitamin d toxicity is due to low levels of vitamin k because vitamin d uses up vitamin k through enhanced calcification and what not, thus they are saying that one uses up the other which means they are synergistic in action and hence deplete when the action accelerates via the presence of both vitamins (takes breath).

Constatine

Well the two function together so that is a little odd....After reading the article what they mean is that calcium either uses up vitamin k reserves (more likely) or blocks the absorption of vitamin k if taken at the same time (less likely). Of course calcium will use up vitamin k as that means vitamin k is doing its function. The more calcium you absorb the more vitamin k you will need to transport the calcium to the correct places. In my opinion they completely butchered the term "antagonize". What they mean is the vitamin k and calcium when taken together will speed up calcification and thus more of the nutrients will be used up. I really really doubt that calcium will block the absorption of vitamin k. Actually I am sure of it as they also listed vitamin k as an antagonist for vitamin d. Vitamin d toxicity is due to low levels of vitamin k because vitamin d uses up vitamin k through enhanced calcification and what not, thus they are saying that one uses up the other which means they are synergistic in action and hence deplete when the action accelerates via the presence of both vitamins (*takes breath).

OP
R

Ron J

Thanks for the reply.
That's a disappointing amount of vitamins and minerals with antagonists. Food usually has numerous vitamins and minerals, of which many antagonize, so how does it play out? I think what you said in regards to certain nutrients using up other nutrients is what's really happening, instead of certain nutrient(s) preventing other nutrient(s) from absorbing(in the most part).

haidut

Forum Supporter
Warfarin/coumarin are the only true vitamin K antagonists recognized clinically. While there could be more, only these two can give you severe vitamin K deficiency in a matter of days and cause BOTH lethal bleeding and rapid vascular calcification. Vitamin E and aspirin can increase the need for vitamin K but are not actual antagonists nor do they induce vascular calcification. Keep in mind that both bleeding and soft tissue calcification are needed to declare something a vitamin K antagonist. Many things can have one or other effects but are not really antagonizing vitamin K.