haidut

Forum Supporter
I think this study is very important simply because currently there are no truly safe treatments for asthma AND the study was conducted on humans. As many forum users have seen on TV ads, virtually all drugs for asthma control increase the risk of death related to asthma. In some cases the onset of side effects from these drugs is so sudden that not even direct massive injections of adrenaline (EpiPen) can save the person.
Well, it looks like a safe and reliable treatment could already exist in most people's multivitamin pill - vitamin E. The dose used in the study (1,200mg daily of gamma-tocopherol) was higher than what is commonly found in most multivitamin pills but can easily be achieved with using an isolated vitamin E supplement. But given that the study only lasted for 14 days and found robust benefits, I think the results are very promising.

Gamma tocopherol-enriched supplement reduces sputum eosinophilia and endotoxin-induced sputum neutrophilia in volunteers with asthma. - PubMed - NCBI
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-asthma-vitamin-supplement.html

"...Preliminary research results from the UNC School of Medicine indicate that a type of vitamin E known as gamma tocopherol may reduce eosinophilic inflammation – a kind of airway inflammation common in asthma patients. The results were published in the Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology. "We started looking into vitamin E because epidemiologic data suggested that people with high amounts of vitamin E in their diet were less prone to asthma and allergic disease," said Michelle Hernandez, MD, professor of pediatrics and senior author of the study."

"...In addition to decreased inflammation, those who were taking vitamin E were also found to have lower levels of proteins called mucins, which affect the stickiness of mucus. Mucins are often elevated in asthmatics. "The fact that the supplement targeted the eosinophils – the main cells we worry most about in asthma treatment – was really telling," said Hernandez. "And we were also excited to see that the supplement had an effect on how mucus moves through the airway. When there are fewer mucins, the mucus is less sticky and patients are able to clear it better, which means there isn't as much pro-inflammatory mucus staying in the lungs."

Vinero

Suprising that gamma-tocopherol is protective and not alpha-tocopherol.
If you google "Tocopherol Asthma" or "tocopherol lung function"most studies find that alpha tocopherol improves lung function, and gamma tocopherol worsens it.

I think you posted that study before on the forum.
Also another study Vitamin E in the alpha-tocopherol form being protective against pneumonia.
So I think I put my bet on alpha-tocopherol as the right one for my lungs.

Last edited:

Peata

I need to try this for two weeks and report back.

My asthma/chronic bronchitis that comes on Fall - Spring is not well controlled. I often don't sleep through the night but wake up wheezing, rattling, coughing, and have to use albuterol.

I started this season trying to get by with lots of Benadryl and albuterol, but I was having to use albuterol up to 8 x per day (2 - 3 puffs each time). I added Singulair and that helped a lot, but still not complete relief. Probably because I won't use the Advair inhaler doctor wants me on (last year even with those 3 Rx and otc stuff, asthma still wasn't fully controlled). Oh, I've been using 3 g. bee propolis too, because I read that could help, but I don't see any effect. Also taking 8,000 vitamin D without noticeable effect on it.

So, I'm willing to try the vitamin E. Pretty sure I have a bottle of gamma around here that's unopened and hopefully not expired. I'll look it up and let you guys know when I start and how it goes.

DrJ

so many thanks for posting this @haidut. My buddy has been having some really serious problems with asthma lately and I've been researching peat-ish approaches to treating it. I was hoping to find something to suggest that didn't start out with the "drop PUFA, take 10g activated charcoal, snort niacinamide, and bathe in progesterone while dancing in the red light" regimen that will sound ridiculous to the uninitiated. I think this will fit the bill nicely.

Wilfrid

Very interesting study and thank you for posting it @haidut.
I will just add the following text regarding the use of Tianeptine as a very potent treatment too for asthma:

Tianeptine
A New Exploratory Therapy for Asthma

To The Editor:

We read with great interest the review article by Boushey (March 2003)1 dealing with new exploratory therapies for asthma. With respect to it, we regret that the author omitted the successful results obtained by our research group, referring to the treatment of bronchial asthma with tianeptine. This drug, a serotonin (5-HT) uptake enhancer, triggers absolute and total disappearance of asthma attacks within 30 to 60 min after oral intake.

Up to the present, we have successfully treated some 20,000 severe asthmatic (children and adults) with this drug, without failures.2 Even more, at the present time we outlined a national program, addressed to eradicate this disease from our country. With respect to the above, we have published many scientific articles dealing with the pathophysiologic mechanisms involved in the infallibility of this therapeutic manipulation.

In 1994, we presented results dealing with the increasing levels of catecholamines and free-serotonin (f-5HT) in plasma during asthma attacks.3 In 1996, we demonstrated that increased levels of f-5HT in plasma, during asthma attacks, were associated with clinical severity and pulmonary function.4 In 1998, we published two research articles showing that tianeptine (a serotonin uptake enhancing drug, which reduces plasma f-5HT) provoked a dra- matic and sudden decrease of both clinical rating and f-5HT plasma levels as well as an increase in pulmonary function.5,6 Conversely, buspirone and serotonin-uptake inhibitors (like ser- traline, paroxetine, etc), drugs that increase f-5HT in plasma, trigger asthma attacks in asthmatic patients.7–9 These undesirable effects were annulled by atropine.10

In 1999, Dupont et al11 demonstrated that serotonin produced frequency- and concentration-dependent facilitation of cholin- ergic contractions of human airways. This facilitatory effect of 5-HT was mimicked by both 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 agonists. These findings demonstrated that 5-HT facilitates cholinergic contrac- tions in the human airways. In 2000, Cazzola and Matera12

published an article dealing with the role played by 5-HT in asthma and other bronchial disorders. Finally, it has been exhaustively demonstrated that all drugs that increase f-5HT plasma levels trigger not only bronchoconstriction but pulmonary vasoconstriction also, both of which are greatly annulled by tianeptine, a drug that decreases f-5HT plasma level.13–19 With respect to the latter, it should be remembered that acetylcholine stimulates the release of 5HT from the neuroepithelial autocrine serotonergic cells located at the bronchopulmonary system and, in turn, serotonin triggers acetylcholine release from the para- sympathetic terminals.20

Fuad Lechin, MD, PhD Bertha van der Dijs, MD Universidad Central de Venezuela Caracas, Venezuela Alex E. Lechin, MD, FCCP University of Houston Houston, TX

Reproduction of this article is prohibited without written permis- sion from the American College of Chest Physicians (e-mail: [email protected]).
Correspondence to: Alex E. Lechin, MD, FCCP, Department of Clinical Science, University of Houston, 2717 Albans Rd, Hous- ton, TX 77005

Wagner83

Thanks I could use that for sure, I have had some asthma, particularly exercise induced asthma, and mucus/phlegm/post nasal drip so sticky it made me cough like crazy (when exercising), almost to the point of throwing up at times. Pollution and dairy are too big players in this ailment, perhaps the only ones but I can't imagine life without butter and I already do a lot better with milk, and most cheese removed from the diet. I'm not convinced by potatoes either.

Waynish

What do those of you with vitamin E sensitivities think about taking it before bed? I find that taking it via skin & before bed reduces negative supplementation experiences. I've only been using the wheat germ oil these days - unless it is an additive in other supplements, in which case I don't take much at a time.

Peata

What do those of you with vitamin E sensitivities think about taking it before bed? I find that taking it via skin & before bed reduces negative supplementation experiences. I've only been using the wheat germ oil these days - unless it is an additive in other supplements, in which case I don't take much at a time.
I took 2 capsules before bed last night, no problems. I didn't wake up in the night. In the past, using vitamin E topically would lead to itching and rash over time. Not sure if that would be the case with this gamma product.

Peata

I'm taking 2 of this one, btw: Swanson Ultra Maximum Gamma Tocopherol.

Peata

Anyone have ideas whether it's better to take all 1,200mg at once or divide it into a couple doses?

GAF

I have always taken my vit e alpha in the morning. I will move that to night and or do both. Morning mucus problem still lingers.

Peata

I have always taken my vit e alpha in the morning. I will move that to night and or do both. Morning mucus problem still lingers.
I decided twice per day too. That way it's kept in the system more evenly. Somewhere I think I read that your body only uses so much vitamin E at one time anyway, so it might be a waste of the supplement to take a mega dose. Plus, I found old notes when I was taking it in early 2016, and I was taking one capsule 2 x day, and seemed like I was having good results with what I was taking it for at the time.

Peata

Anyone else have an update?

I think I've had improvement since yesterday (day 5) but I'll hold off raving until more time goes by. For now, I'm relieved to be coughing less and having to think about it less.

Regina

Anyone else have an update?

I think I've had improvement since yesterday (day 5) but I'll hold off raving until more time goes by. For now, I'm relieved to be coughing less and having to think about it less.
I'm waiting for some tocovit to arrive and will update how it goes. The winter heating ducts get to me. Wheezing has started up again at the dojo where the ducts are filthy. If vit E does not resolve it, I'll have to stop training until they can open the windows in the spring.

Peata

I'm waiting for some tocovit to arrive and will update how it goes. The winter heating ducts get to me. Wheezing has started up again at the dojo where the ducts are filthy. If vit E does not resolve it, I'll have to stop training until they can open the windows in the spring.
Oh, that's too bad. :( I exercised with resistance bands today, nothing strenuous, but I got hot, and when I drank some water I started coughing. Then I think it just built on itself - the panic about coughing and feeling my lungs close up made it all the worse. I probably hacked for thirty minutes, along with gagging, etc. If someone heard me, they'd think I was dying. Afraid the coughing will knock something loose or fracture a rib. Had to use my albuterol. I almost forgot how exercise makes it worse.

Regina

Oh, that's too bad. :( I exercised with resistance bands today, nothing strenuous, but I got hot, and when I drank some water I started coughing. Then I think it just built on itself - the panic about coughing and feeling my lungs close up made it all the worse. I probably hacked for thirty minutes, along with gagging, etc. If someone heard me, they'd think I was dying. Afraid the coughing will knock something loose or fracture a rib. Had to use my albuterol. I almost forgot how exercise makes it worse.
So, it didn't happen tonight and it was quite a vigorous class. Good teacher, good partners made for good energy in the room. I am soooo effected by that. It doesn't take much to throw me completely off. Must be tied to anxiety. :eek:

Peata

I am doing better. I've been taking the Vitamin E a full week now. I'm also still taking 10 mg. Singulair and using albuterol but the condition wasn't nearly as controlled with those alone as it is since I added E. I feel like I'm breathing easier/deeper, the mucus seems less thick and sticky and easier to get moving around in my lungs (and get out). Coughing less after eating/drinking/laughing/intense emotion now. I'm glad improvement came when it did because I have a very sore rib since that exercise-induced bout of coughing the other day. It's tolerable, but I've had a fracture in the past and I know how painful/miserable that is. This is a much milder version, don't want it to get worse.

Regina

I am doing better. I've been taking the Vitamin E a full week now. I'm also still taking 10 mg. Singulair and using albuterol but the condition wasn't nearly as controlled with those alone as it is since I added E. I feel like I'm breathing easier/deeper, the mucus seems less thick and sticky and easier to get moving around in my lungs (and get out). Coughing less after eating/drinking/laughing/intense emotion now. I'm glad improvement came when it did because I have a very sore rib since that exercise-induced bout of coughing the other day. It's tolerable, but I've had a fracture in the past and I know how painful/miserable that is. This is a much milder version, don't want it to get worse.
Peata, That's fantastic progress! yay!!!

Peata

Peata, That's fantastic progress! yay!!!
Thank you, I really hope it lasts and keeps improving (and isn't placebo since that doesn't seem to last). Good news that you didn't have trouble in your class.

Regina

Thank you, I really hope it lasts and keeps improving (and isn't placebo since that doesn't seem to last). Good news that you didn't have trouble in your class.
Okay. My tocovit arrived! So tonight it will get "pressure tested." lol