Vitamin E Making Me Feel Sick

Bluebell

Hi there,

Ok, so I've been trying to take Vitamin E.

For various reasons I think I would really benefit from it. I'm also totally convinced by Peat's writings on the benefits, and what the Shutes say. In fact I'd really like to experiment with high doses of 2000 IU or more.

My problem is I get really sick (nauseous) when I take it. I have tried many different brands, such as: 4spectrum, Unique E, Thorne's Ultimate E. The dose is 400 IU. The last one I tried was Thorne's. This time I even tried squeezing it out of the capsule and dissoving it with melted butter before putting it on my potato, so it would absorb well.

After I take it, it feels fine at first, but once it starts digesting I feel nauseous and just "ill" in my body and this goes on for hours. Kind of nauseous all over not just in my tummy. Last time I also got a headache from it the next morning (usually I never get headaches).

However, my skin looked very noticeably glowing from it, which indicates to me I need the stuff. I wonder if I need it SO much, that it is clearing out toxins, or changing processes for the better in my body which at first feel bad because they are such a strong change.

I wondered if I could not tolerate the soy. However, pre-Peat I could take large amounts of soy lecithin (don't ask!) without any problems whatsoever. I am generally pretty tolerant to supplements etc. as well.

It seems to me that no-one else seems to have this problem, or no-one I've heard of or found through googling.

I would LOVE to get to the bottom of this and get the benefits of E, so if you have any theories or comments I'd be very grateful and pleased to hear them.

Thanks so much!
Bluebell

J

j.

I don't react well to it either, probably the soy. I wasn't been able to find vit. E without soy or not from soy yet.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks J. so do you feel nauseous from it?

I don't know of a good E that's not from soy. There's a sunflower one, but I asked Ray about it and he was not too enthusiastic.

For me, I don't think soy is my problem. I even used to eat tofu with zero problems, and the soy fat from lecithin is no issue for me either.

J

j.

Bluebell said:

I don't know of a good E that's not from soy. There's a sunflower one, but I asked Ray about it and he was not too enthusiastic.

No, I'm not nauseous. What did RP say?

jyb

I think another member (Wilfrid) mentioned mixing the viscous oil with olive oil to make it more digestible.

Attachments

• IMG_20160108_143911584.jpg
    IMG_20160108_143911584.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 83
OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

j. said:
Bluebell said:

No, I'm not nauseous. What did RP say?

I asked him about the "Purely E" product by North American Herb and Spice Co. He said he doesn't know how they get the E out, there might be too much PUFA in it, and he does not recommend. [please note - this is from memory, not an actual quote from him - I can't access my emails at the moment]

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

jyb said:
I think another member (Wilfrid) mentioned mixing the viscous oil with olive oil to make it more digestible.

Thanks. I did try dissolving it thoroughly in butter, but I had the same problem.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Jenn said:
Nausea = overwhelmed liver or irritated stomach lining. Vitamin E is probably not an irritant, so then its an overwhelmed liver. YES, it is possible to take too much.

Thanks Jenn. I find it strange though because I'm pretty tolerant to supplements usually (have taken very large amounts of lots of different ones in my past), I don't get liver problems from them. Also tolerant to medical drugs.

Could the liver perhaps be overwhelmed by toxins released by the vitamin E working on lipofuscin/PUFAs/thick blood, rather than the vitamin E itself?

I wonder if starting with 100 IU per day, and increasing say 100 IU per week, would work. Or whether it would mean feeling mildly sick then increasingly sick.

Dutchie

Over here they have a Brand called AOV and they sell vitamin E with loive oil only.

http://www.aov.nl/p/12/574/mo23-cg17psn ... vitamine-e (Maybe you can contact them or find somewhere online that sells&ships abroad? And if you really want it,but cant find an online store, we migth be able to work something out with shipping)

Or maybe try rubbing some red palm oil on the skin?

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Dutchie said:
Over here they have a Brand called AOV and they sell vitamin E with loive oil only.

http://www.aov.nl/p/12/574/mo23-cg17psn ... vitamine-e (Maybe you can contact them or find somewhere online that sells&ships abroad? And if you really want it,but cant find an online store, we migth be able to work something out with shipping)

Or maybe try rubbing some red palm oil on the skin?

Hey Dutchie, thanks so much !

I think that the E is from soy still though on that one ... I think they just added some olive oil in the capsule.

I tried opening a cap of Thorne E and rubbing on my skin. Super sticky though, kind of makes it waterproof.

Wilfrid

Bluebell said:
jyb said:

Thanks. I did try dissolving it thoroughly in butter, but I had the same problem.

Have you tried to dissolve it in olive oil instead of butter?
Just open a cap of Unique E ,or whatever vitamin E you are currently using (no more than 400UI at the time), mix it with a teaspoon of olive oil and take small amount of it with food during your meal.(small bites of food and small amount of the mixture well chewed and mixed).
If you want to take more than 400UI, do it progressively and always dilute it with olive oil and with food. Or if you still have trouble with it, take 2000 UI, or more, then dilute it with olive oil and try to keep the mixture as long as you can in your mouth ( doing some oil pulling) and then spit it out. The mucous membrane of the mouth will absorb a fair amount of it.
As far as the soy content in vitamin E product, if a product is chosen for the largest number of international units in the smallest capsule, there will be a minimum of soy oil or any added oil.
Hope that helps. :D

Wilfrid

Jenn said:
Nausea = overwhelmed liver or irritated stomach lining. Vitamin E is probably not an irritant, so then its an overwhelmed liver. YES, it is possible to take too much.

Hi Jenn,

I did experiment an irritation from "light" dose of vitamin E ( around 200 UI), but I have crohn's disease though.
But Ray also said something about it:

"Pure vitamin E doesn't have any toxic effects, except when it's enough to irritate the intestine, probably because of viscosity."

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Wilfrid said:
"Pure vitamin E doesn't have any toxic effects, except when it's enough to irritate the intestine, probably because of viscosity."

Wilfred, now that's a very helpful quote from Ray, thank you!

What's your theory on my Vitamin e issue, I'd be very interested to hear what you think.

I don't think my reaction was irritated intensines. I've had intestinal irriation before and it didn't feel like that.. Instead I felt "sick" in all my body, kind of toxic, like a flu feeling almost. Plus the headache.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Wilfrid said:
Bluebell said:
jyb said:

Have you tried to dissolve it in olive oil instead of butter?
Just open a cap of Unique E ,or whatever vitamin E you are currently using (no more than 400UI at the time), mix it with a teaspoon of olive oil and take small amount of it with food during your meal.(small bites of food and small amount of the mixture well chewed and mixed).
If you want to take more than 400UI, do it progressively and always dilute it with olive oil and with food. Or if you still have trouble with it, take 2000 UI, or more, then dilute it with olive oil and try to keep the mixture as long as you can in your mouth ( doing some oil pulling) and then spit it out. The mucous membrane of the mouth will absorb a fair amount of it.
As far as the soy content in vitamin E product, if a product is chosen for the largest number of international units in the smallest capsule, there will be a minimum of soy oil or any added oil.
Hope that helps. :D

Thanks a lot!! (my smilies don't work but I want to do a big smilie)

Yes, I agree there'll be no or little soy in the vit E I'm getting (none have it as an added ingredient of course).

Well, I will try dissolved in olive oil instead of butter (what's the theory on that by the way, I was thinking the liquid saturated fat of butter would be ideal?). Don't want to ruin another 24 hours feeling sick (!), so I'll take perhaps 100 IU and see what happens.

That's an interesting idea re. holding in my mouth. In fact, oil pulling with 2000 IU mixed into olive oil, that's a great idea. I'd try and get a non-green olive oil to avoid tooth staining. I wonder if enough would be absorbed though. I've always thought oil pulling with a saturated fat like butter could be worth trying too, can't find anyone else who has done it though!

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
That's an interesting idea re. holding in my mouth. In fact, oil pulling with 2000 IU mixed into olive oil, that's a great idea. I'd try and get a non-green olive oil to avoid tooth staining. I wonder if enough would be absorbed though. I've always thought oil pulling with a saturated fat like butter could be worth trying too, can't find anyone else who has done it though!
We have several oil-pulling members of the forum who use coconut oil.
Some talk about it on this thread

Wilfrid

Hi Bluebell,

Olive oil is rich in oleic acid which greatly facilitate the absorption of oily vitamins internally as well as externally.
I think that's why RP usually recommend a small amount of olive oil mixed with oily vitamins to enhance the absorption of liposoluble vitamins through the skin ( the top of the feet being probably one of the perfect place to use for transdermal application).
This fact (oleic acid being a penetration enhancer) was confirmed to me by Dr Adrian Williams, a leading expert on transdermal drug delivery system. He also wrote a book on that subject.
I also posted on MUFA rich oil as being a better delivery system internally for oily vitamins than PUFA (of course) oil or even SFA.
If you live in the US, a good brand of olive oil with a very high oleic content will be the Premier research labs olive oil.
Have you tried to contact RP about your vitamin E issue?

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

4peatssake said:
Bluebell said:
We have several oil-pulling members of the forum who use coconut oil.
Some talk about it on this thread

Thank you, I would love to, but coconut oil is the one thing I'm allergic to (even the refined variety).

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Wilfrid said:
Hi Bluebell,

Olive oil is rich in oleic acid which greatly facilitate the absorption of oily vitamins internally as well as externally.
I think that's why RP usually recommend a small amount of olive oil mixed with oily vitamins to enhance the absorption of liposoluble vitamins through the skin ( the top of the feet being probably one of the perfect place to use for transdermal application).
This fact (oleic acid being a penetration enhancer) was confirmed to me by Dr Adrian Williams, a leading expert on transdermal drug delivery system. He also wrote a book on that subject.
I also posted on MUFA rich oil as being a better delivery system internally for oily vitamins than PUFA (of course) oil or even SFA.
If you live in the US, a good brand of olive oil with a very high oleic content will be the Premier research labs olive oil.
Have you tried to contact RP about your vitamin E issue?

Thanks Wilfred!

I see, olive oil appears to have some special properties then, not just the convenience of it being liquid at room temp.

I'm in the UK. I'll try and source that or a similar one. They don't always put the breakdown of the fats on the label though. I'll look into it.

I did contact Ray initially, he mentioned that vitamin E can irritate the intestines. That's when I tried it in butter. I didn't mail him again, explaining in more detail my symptoms, as I don't want to bother him too much. Maybe I will ask again in more detail.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom