Vitamin E Libido Killer?

Spartan300

Vitamin E seems to consistently down regulate libido and surpresses morning wood for me?

Any ideas why that might be?

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

I have wondered that. Not had estrogen tested but prolactin was mid range.

Androsterone does the same. Skin is dry but the stubborn chest fat and pudgy low back would indicate high estrogen?

Charger

My little experience with Androsterone and high dose Vitamin E is that they make me emotionless/blunt my mood and libido. This is usually an indicator of low estrogen for me.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

@Sygnal how is your body fat ?

T, dht and DHEA-s all test high for me yet have always had a slim build and difficulty gaining muscle. In spite of my androgen levels sleep, libido and in recent times tolerance to exercise are also poor. I'm also quite emotional.

I suspected high estrogen, hence the vit e.

Could the vit E be liberating stored pufa leading to these symptoms?

Charger

I don't know what my body fat % is right now, I'm 6'3", 185lbs. at the moment. Slim build, never been 'big' in the muscle department by any means.

What about cortisol and general stress levels? Lowering stress/cortisol could help on the muscle building front and also help on the emotional front as well. It's something I've only recently begun to realize was probably a huge hindrance for me on the strength/muscle building front and something I believe many people don't take into consideration. 600mg Phosphatidylserine per day has become a staple, along with 5g Taurine, and occasionally Glycine. These keep my stress levels low, mood up, and I just in general feel more resilient and thus androgenic as a result. I feel like my body recovers faster in general, both from exercise and a physical job.

Diet is obviously something to consider, I've been starch free like Hans for about a month now and it's likely contributing to better well-being with just eating foods that are much easier to digest.

If it means anything, I've actually dropped a lot of fat I gained after getting PFS since making these changes.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Thanks I appreciate the detailed response.

I try to keep stress and cortisol low but there's no doubt that stress played a big part in getting me into the hole I'm in.

I've only had morning cortisol tested but it was above ref range.
I've tried Phosphatidylserine but didn't notice much from it. I've recently swapped casein for collagen protein so glycine should be covered. I've been using 2 or 3g taurine for a few months. I use cypro off and on but that seems to lower libido too.

Feels like I'm in a cycle I need to break but haven't worked out how to do it yet.

Maljam

Vitamin e tanks my libido too. When I had a blood test my estrogen levels were very low.

Charger

Yeah, I would look for something that lowers cortisol effectively for you. Phosphatidylserine was subtle for me at first, but consistent use I feel has become noticeably beneficial. Also, a tablespoon of cacao powder in a glass of milk is another thing I forgot to mention that has probably helped a lot.

That is definitely not all I take, just the most recent additions to my daily supplements. Mostly to support androgen production/elevate dopamine for focus and drive:

Boron, 10mg
D3, 10,000IU
Ginger, 1000mg
K2, 15,000mcg
Alpha GPC, 300mg
Tongkat Ali, 1020mg
Caffeine liberally (One or two Monster Zero's a day on avg.)

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

@Maljam Thanks, I might push for an estrogen blood test but would have expected my bodyfat levels to be lower if that's the case.

@Sygnal I might have to seriously try the no starch thing. I've tried before but quickly given up because I seem to run out of gas quickly without starch.
Do you just substitute fruits for starch alongside meals?

Charger

@Sygnal I might have to seriously try the no starch thing. I've tried before but quickly given up because I seem to run out of gas quickly without starch.
Do you just substitute fruits for starch alongside meals?

My goto carbs are raisins (love em), OJ, applesauce, maple syrup. Honey is also a good choice, I just prefer the taste of maple syrup over it.
Ground beef, eggs, yogurt, milk, gelatin, liver, and oysters for protein/fat.
Lily's dark chocolate is my "comfort" snack/desert, for the same reason I like to have cacao in milk. Seems to relax and lower cortisol and has good nutritional properties on it's own, magnesium for example.

I have been saving meat for the last meal of the day, and mostly I just have it with salt, but if you wanted to mix and mash, you could. Or you could have your daily raw carrot alongside it if the idea of applesauce and meat doesn't sound appetizing. (not really starchy)

Last edited:

mrchibbs

Vitamin E seems to consistently down regulate libido and surpresses morning wood for me?

Any ideas why that might be?

I don't have my notes for it, but vitamin E was historically used to increase libido, fertility etc. So it's probably not vitamin E in of itself, although it may depend on the type of vitamin E used.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Thanks @Sygnal My diet is already similar to yours except I have rice/potatoes & some fruit. I use magnesium topically with sprays or in baths & recently I have been having milk with cacao & sugar before bed.

@mrchibbs Indeed, that's where my confusion comes from. I'd like to use it more because of what the studies show but it consistently detrimental to libido for me. I have tried different versions including tocovit.

MrGilbert

Doesn't Ray say to avoid the kind of Vitamin E that is derived from soy? Which type are you taking?

Vitamin E is pro fertility due to the anticatabolic effects on cellular membranes, and likely anti estrogenic and thus blunting in regards to libido; i feel that the small amount of soy does not matter much.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

I've tried a few including tocovit, similar effect with all.

Maybe I need to put this into a thread of it's own but timing of my health issues correlate with me starting to use prostaglandin eye drops as treatment for high IOP.
I've recently discovered that prostaglandins increase aromatase so I'm looking for natural AIs, hence the vit E.
I'm increasing mushrooms and attempting to be more diligent with daily carrot.

All suggestions welcome

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Hi @Inaut , 90% use has been orally but I did try it typically in the manner I you have had success with - i.e. scrotum but I noticed no effect from it.