Vitamin E Is Anti Androgenetic?

OP
H

ReSTART

LukasWood

Can Vitamin E inhibit DHT Production? Does someone have experience with this?

username

So is supplementing with Vitamin E a bad idea, or do we want to supplement less? There has been talk here that Vit E is anti estrogenic. Can anti androgenic cancel out these benefits?

I am male 30yrs with some estrogenic signs and I usually take 5 drops of Tocovit per night with a little coconut oil.

Dave Clark

Maybe tocotrienols such as the delta fraction that Dr. Tan promotes is the better option. Gets a lot of bad press on this forum, but who knows, it may be more valuable than we think.

Dr. B

Maybe tocotrienols such as the delta fraction that Dr. Tan promotes is the better option. Gets a lot of bad press on this forum, but who knows, it may be more valuable than we think.
why bad press
Peat said something like a small amount of tocotrienol contributes to the overall protective vitamin E action
i only use vitamin E like every 2 weeks, currently its thornes E product. i added some tocotrienols in alongside it, no changes noticed
but its once every 2 weeks, so hard to measure any negative effects...

Dave Clark

why bad press
Peat said something like a small amount of tocotrienol contributes to the overall protective vitamin E action
i only use vitamin E like every 2 weeks, currently its thornes E product. i added some tocotrienols in alongside it, no changes noticed
but its once every 2 weeks, so hard to measure any negative effects...
I don't recall the members, but a few on here have posted some disparaging comments, even though at one time Peat had negative comments about tocotrienols and then had changed that to a little bit being either okay, or good. I suppose because it is an unsaturated compound that is why it is looked down upon. I use the delta tocotrienol occasionally, as a break from vitamin E. I think more research on tocotrienols is in order, but I am not convinced, from what I have read in the science, that it is something to avoid. I don't feel any palpable negative effects from tocotrienols, or vitamin E.

Mauritio

More stuff:

Effects of long-term alpha-tocopherol supplementation on serum hormones in older men - PubMed

Conclusions: These results suggest that long-term alpha-tocopherol supplementation decreases serum androgen concentrations, and could have been one of the factors contributing to the observed reduction in incidence and mortality of prostate cancer in the alpha-tocopherol treatment group of the ATBC Study.
The difference was only 34 between the alpha tocopherol and placebo group, which is negligible. You would have higher daily fluctuations, depending on what you eat supplement or how you sleep.

"Mean testosterone concentrations for men who received alpha-tocopherol and placebo were 539 (CI, 517-562) and 573 (CI, 549-598) ng/dl, respectively."

What is more interesting that there is an increase in prolactin in that I'd like to know where it came from (6.9 to 8.3).

Normally I would have said the T reduction comes from lowered SHBG and that a-tocopherol proably increased the androgen/estrogen ratio ,which is good .

But the increase in prolactin is a little weird and might be the reason why T didnt increase. Although the control group had an even higher increase in prolactin (6.0 to 7.8)
"We previously demonstrated an inverse relationship between baseline serum a-tocopherol and serum androstenedione, testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and estrone [8"

This isn't a perfect study of course, I can't even find the dosage that they gave them. It could also be that it was a small dosage and the big amount of fat (~120g of which much might be PUFA) is responsible for the small increase in prolactin . And that the, possibly small, amount was only enough to reduce the prolactin increase in comparison to the control group.

P.S. : I asked peat about the anti-androgenic effect of vitamin E succinate and he didn't think it was relevant ,because it was in vitro.

OP
H
The difference was only 34 between the alpha tocopherol and placebo group, which is negligible. You would have higher daily fluctuations, depending on what you eat supplement or how you sleep.

"Mean testosterone concentrations for men who received alpha-tocopherol and placebo were 539 (CI, 517-562) and 573 (CI, 549-598) ng/dl, respectively."

What is more interesting that there is an increase in prolactin in that I'd like to know where it came from (6.9 to 8.3).

Normally I would have said the T reduction comes from lowered SHBG and that a-tocopherol proably increased the androgen/estrogen ratio ,which is good .

But the increase in prolactin is a little weird and might be the reason why T didnt increase. Although the control group had an even higher increase in prolactin (6.0 to 7.8)
"We previously demonstrated an inverse relationship between baseline serum a-tocopherol and serum androstenedione, testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and estrone [8"

This isn't a perfect study of course, I can't even find the dosage that they gave them. It could also be that it was a small dosage and the big amount of fat (~120g of which much might be PUFA) is responsible for the small increase in prolactin . And that the, possibly small, amount was only enough to reduce the prolactin increase in comparison to the control group.

P.S. : I asked peat about the anti-androgenic effect of vitamin E succinate and he didn't think it was relevant ,because it was in vitro.
Quality post. Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals