Vitamin E Dramatically Lowers Risk Of Pneumonia

haidut

Forum Supporter
The strongest effect was seen in older males who had quit smoking but the vitamin E had some effect in virtually all groups. The dose was just 50mg daily, which is about 75 IU. More importantly, they used DL-α-tocopheryl acetate, which has only about 50% of the activity of alpha-tocopherol. So, even 25mg (~40 IU) of alpha tocopherol may be able to achieve the same effects.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161005083649.htm

"...One-third of the 7,469 participants quit smoking for a period and 27 of them got pneumonia. These 27 cases of pneumonia can be used to estimate the effect of vitamin E on currently nonsmoking males. The incidence of pneumonia was 72% lower in the vitamin E participants who had quit smoking, and this benefit from vitamin E was also seen among those who smoked heavily or did not exercise."

Last edited:

Soren

Forum Supporter
Would vitamin e be beneficial for the treatment rather than the prevention of of Phneumonia?

I'm worried that it might have a negative effect if someone already has Phneumonia. Lowering stress hormones too much for example.

Wagner83

Would vitamin e be beneficial for the treatment rather than the prevention of of Phneumonia?

I'm worried that it might have a negative effect if someone already has Phneumonia. Lowering stress hormones too much for example.
From what I remember you should double check if high-gamma or high-alpha would be preferred in the case of pneumonia.

Wagner83

What does that mean?
Mixed tocopherols can be either high in gamma-tocopherol tocopherols or alpha-tocopherol. Obi-wan created a thread with a lot of information in it and haidut often posts studies.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Mixed tocopherols can be either high in gamma-tocopherol tocopherols or alpha-tocopherol. Obi-wan created a thread with a lot of information in it and haidut often posts studies.

This study used the cheapest form possible - DL-alpha-tocopheryl-acetate, so a type of alpha-tocopherol. I think any isomer would likely be beneficial but most of the human studies on immune system effects of vitamin E used alpha-tocopherol or one of its cheaper variations like the one in this study.

Wagner83

This study used the cheapest form possible - DL-alpha-tocopheryl-acetate, so a type of alpha-tocopherol. I think any isomer would likely be beneficial but most of the human studies on immune system effects of vitamin E used alpha-tocopherol or one of its cheaper variations like the one in this study.
Ok thanks, I didn't know all would work fine, I must have remembered travis talking about the effects of gamma-tocopherols on the lungs, particularly of smokers and the one you had posted on asthma. https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/vitamin-e-may-prevent-treat-asthma.20931/#post-291273