Vitamin E Causes All Sorts Of Negative Problems According To This Article

TreasureVibe

Hi guys, I have posted this webpage article in a relevant topic by Haidut but I thought posting it as a topic on its own would gain more prominence. What is your guys opinion on the things that have been written about vitamin E on the following page?

http://www.nutri-spec.net/articles/tocopherols.html

According to that webpage article, vitamin E causes cancer, strains the heart and depletes bodily energy, accelerates aging, raises cholesterol, and can cause cardiac arrhytmias to name a few. I was about to look into buying a vitamin E supplement but this is rather surprising. Can anyone debunk it?

DuggaDugga

It doesn't read to me like they're damning vitamin E. They're opposed to mega-dosing in general and taking exclusively alpha-tocopherol. I can't speak to the validity of their proclaimed roles of the various tocopherols. I'm sure @haidut has thought long and hard about this and can provide additional context.

I was quite impressed most aspects of the article actually. I didn't quite understand the bolded bit:

Vitamin E is a membrane stabilizer. Vitamin E deficiency in the brain causes a decrease in palmitic and other SFA (essential to brain structure and function), and an increase in DHA (toxic in anything more than trace levels --- despite health food propaganda to the contrary). In the liver, vitamin E deficiency results in higher stearic acid and other SFA, lower MUFA, Linoleic Acid (omega 6), and DGLA, but no change in Arachidonic Acid. The overall liver decrease in n-6 is compensated by an increase in n-3.

• Vitamin E deficiency = ↑ DHA & ↓ SFA in brain

• Vitamin E deficiency = ↑ liver SFA, ↓ MUFA, ↓ LA, ↓ DGLA, no change in AA, w/ the overall ↓ in liver n-6 compensated by an ↑ in n-3

Either way, I think this is a good discussion.

jitsmonkey

Nutri-Spec is a wholly unreliable information resource
they've been spewing the same ignorance for at least 30 years

I'm not saying its not a worthy topic but they are just not worthy of being part of the discussion

OP
T

TreasureVibe

They seem to be promoting their brand of products.

I don't know, it could seem like that but they throw out quite some statements that are plausible.

Either way, I think this is a good discussion.

Indeed :D

Nutri-Spec is a wholly unreliable information resource
they've been spewing the same ignorance for at least 30 years

I'm not saying its not a worthy topic but they are just not worthy of being part of the discussion
This is what I kind of was looking for. What exactly do you know about Nutri-spec and their background? I have read on their website they base alot of their works on a book written by an engineer and chiropractor named Dr. Schenker about nutrients and the body titled An Analytical System of Clinical Nutrition, which was released in 1989. I admire the fact a book was written about this subject, but what is the accuracy of the contents of this book? How reliable are their theories?

Also, what exactly is a dose that's too high? is 400-500 I.U. fine or too much? From my understanding how they've written it down, 400 I.U. would already be megadosing in their eyes. Which kind of worries me when I see what effects they describe to such doses. As says the following:

Excess Vitamin E will also act as an oxidant instead of an anti-oxidant and in fact, doses of Vitamin E much above 140 milligrams will actually destroy the activity of Vitamin C.

1,000 mg of vitamin E = 1,500 I.U. so 140 mg = 210 I.U. So that means most vitamin E supplements are dosed too high and are harmful to the body. Could anyone elaborate on this?

Last edited:

Ulysses

Fascinating discussion. Can anyone speak to the validity of Nutri-Spec’s distinction between the various tocopherols?

Found this:

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/alpha-tocopherol-does-not-deplete-gamma-tocopherol.2202/

OK, so alpha tocopherol is not bad to supplement, per se. What about the question of dosage? According to this Nutri-Spec article, 400 IU (which I’ve been taking daily in the form of d-alpha tocopherol) is too high? Yes? No? If yes, is 400 IU an acutely toxic dose, or can I dose 400 IU everv second or third day for a lower average dose, like some people do with the other fat-solubles?

Obi-wan

I stopped taking vitamin e since it is derived from a vegetable oil which ALL are high in Linoleic acid whether it is from soy or wheat germ. Ray stated that if you consume coconut oil you really do not need vitamin e

Back
Top Bottom