Vitamin E Can Treat/cure Severe Fatty Liver Disease (NASH) In Humans

haidut

Forum Supporter
As many of my readers know, currently there is an epidemic of the condition known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). By some estimates, more than 30% (100mil) of people living in the US have NAFLD and in about 25% of those the condition will progress to the more severe form known as non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), which is almost always progresses to cirrhosis and/or liver cancer. Mainstream medicine states that there is no known treatment for NAFLD, let alone for NASH. Billions of dollars are being poured into finding cures for these conditions considering the massive number of people they affect. Well, as the studies below demonstrate, a daily dose of 800 IU alpha-tocopherol can reverse well-established NASH in about 6 months. What makes this result much more important is that one of the studies was on patients with HIV, who already have highly compromised liver function and are much more resistant to treatment. So, if vitamin E could cure their NASH, one can only imagine how much more effective it would be in the general population. Oh, and in case somebody is wondering - yes, vitamin E has already been shown to be effective for the milder form of liver disease - NAFLD. I really hope the FDA is taking notes, success stories like this rarely come along...

Vitamin E Effective for Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis : Clinical Nutrition Insight
Vitamin E is an effective treatment for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in HIV mono-infected patients. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In this first trial, we showed that 24 weeks of vitamin E treatment decreased ALT, the degree of hepatic steatosis and hepatocyte apoptosis in HIV mono-infected patients with NASH. The intervention was both effective and safe, with no patient lost to follow-up and no serious adverse event reported. HIV-infected patients are currently excluded from registrational clinical trials of new antifibrotic molecules for the treatment of NASH, and this poses an ethical and clinical dilemma. Vitamin E represents an available therapeutic option."

Guacamayo

This mentions that it decreases ALT...would Vitamin E also lower ALP numbers? I've been trying to get my ALP back down into range for many months and am having no luck with TUDCA, Dandelion, Vitamin K2, Coffee, etc.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Chris-R

@haidut Thank you for this great post. I have seen several recommendations by members on this forum to take Vitamin E in the form of E Succinate (d-alpha tocopheryl succinate) accompanied by testimonies that it has helped to repair NAFLD and lower elevated liver enzymes. Would a supplement of mixed tocopheryl be superior to isolated E Succinate for the purpose of such liver repair, or is there merit to a Succinate only protocol?

I have coincidentally be researching into Vitamin E quite a bit the past two days due to my own liver and gallbladder issues, and your post was a synchronicity of the best kind.

Broken man

Its alpha tocopherol, question is if its wise to use it. @haidut do you think Gamma tocopherol will have same effect?

Ben Stone

Can vitamin E applied topically be partially or equally effective? If so, how much and where would one apply the topical vitamin E?

TibRex

@haidut Thank you for this great post. I have seen several recommendations by members on this forum to take Vitamin E in the form of E Succinate (d-alpha tocopheryl succinate) accompanied by testimonies that it has helped to repair NAFLD and lower elevated liver enzymes. Would a supplement of mixed tocopheryl be superior to isolated E Succinate for the purpose of such liver repair, or is there merit to a Succinate only protocol?

I have coincidentally be researching into Vitamin E quite a bit the past two days due to my own liver and gallbladder issues, and your post was a synchronicity of the best kind.

Re your statement in the last paragraph - I agree heartily - indeed, it's "a synchronicity of the best kind". I was looking up this thingy called "annatto" recently and stumbled
serendipitously on the subject of tocopherols and tocotrienols and then read that annatto-derived vitamin E has been rated the vitamin E for the 21st century by a Dr Barry Tan. Could you + other forum members please read the article at the following link and share your thoughts? Personally, the statement that captured my attention was this one :

Patients with type 2 diabetes received tocotrienols. Within 60 days of taking 250 mg of tocotrienols the serum total lipids were reduced by 23% and total cholesterol by 30%. The LDL cholesterol was reduced by 42%. Triglycerides were also lowered by 15-20%. C-reactive protein (CRP), a marker for inflammation was lowered between 35-60%.

health benefits of vitamin E tocotrienols

Last edited:

postman

Very interesting. And it looks like they only used alpha-tocopherol? So more complete forms of vitamin e should be even more effective, no?

Summer

It seems like most of it is carried by PUFA. I wonder if dry E is effective.

Guacamayo

@Lokzo I've got absolutely no clue why my ALP is elevated. I take 500mg of Taurine several times a week - so not much. For fat I consume around 3 tablespoons of olive oil per day - spaced out over 3 meals. Not an alcohol drinker. Fruit consumption is moderate, but once a week I will eat like around 10 dried figs, but that would only be a problem if I was eating that amount of dried figs everyday...otherwise I have no clue.

I take T3 in huge doses, but everyone has told me that it can't be T3.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
@Lokzo I've got absolutely no clue why my ALP is elevated. I take 500mg of Taurine several times a week - so not much. For fat I consume around 3 tablespoons of olive oil per day - spaced out over 3 meals. Not an alcohol drinker. Fruit consumption is moderate, but once a week I will eat like around 10 dried figs, but that would only be a problem if I was eating that amount of dried figs everyday...otherwise I have no clue.

I take T3 in huge doses, but everyone has told me that it can't be T3.

Yeah it's strange. Does weight training affect it?

also - I found this: There was evidence of slight cholestasis in animals treated with alcohol and alcohol + taurine, as indicated by raised serum bile acids and alkaline phosphatase (ALP).

Waynish

Can vitamin E applied topically be partially or equally effective? If so, how much and where would one apply the topical vitamin E?

Probably over the liver, but as they say, "supplements target the liver," so I would assume that oral Vitamin E is better at targeting the liver. I'm about to try TocoVit inside of a capsule for the first time... Its the only E I've tried supplementing with since I got some bad side effects back when I tried Unique E.

TibRex

Probably over the liver, but as they say, "supplements target the liver," so I would assume that oral Vitamin E is better at targeting the liver. I'm about to try TocoVit inside of a capsule for the first time... Its the only E I've tried supplementing with since I got some bad side effects back when I tried Unique E.

Were you referring to A. C. Grace's Unique E - I would appreciate it if you could specify which one in particular as the company produces a few variations of Vit E, e.g. - they are shown on the website as the first four items under "Unique E" at : ACGrace - Purity, Performance, Price

Reason is that I'm thinking of buying the one listed as "Unique E Tocotrienols - Tocopherol-FREE" [Item 2]. If you did experience "some bad effects" from taking it, I might think thrice about buying it. Thanks!

Waynish

Were you referring to A. C. Grace's Unique E - I would appreciate it if you could specify which one in particular as the company produces a few variations of Vit E, e.g. - they are shown on the website as the first four items under "Unique E" at : ACGrace - Purity, Performance, Price

Reason is that I'm thinking of buying the one listed as "Unique E Tocotrienols - Tocopherol-FREE" [Item 2]. If you did experience "some bad effects" from taking it, I might think thrice about buying it. Thanks!

Ya that green bottle with the big E. I forgot why others were saying they got the bad reactions. I remember it did not smell good in the bottle. I can't remember more because it has been at least 3 years since I tried it. I've only used TocoVit now without any side effects.

stackz07

Buy Idealabs vitamin e, it's great!