Vitamin E 100-fold more potent than remdesivir for SARS-CoV-2 / coronaviruses

fr@

He was talking of Vitamin E that may not be the same as your Vitamin E. Have you considered that?
Yeah, it's 'Undiluted, Unesterified, Natural Vitamin E'.
But I don't know how much difference does it have from a conventional supplement like what Thorne has.
'Cause that's what I take (lately), even if it's expensive.

I've also read your response about trying a Predominantly Gamma-Tocopherol Vitamin-E.
And the Thorne one has that; now I'm not here to promote Thorne though... hahaha.
But you can also go to their website and see stuff like it's 'Undiluted' but I don't know to what extent (maybe just to soy).
Also, it doesn't say if it's 'Unesterified' -- but I don't see in their labeling that it has alcohol or any acids in it.

As with its effects, the only Vitamin-E that I've only seen noticeable outcomes (mainly your overall complexion) are from the Thorne one.
Back then, I was doing different doses of Purely-E and A.C. Grace (I tried both with just the Tocopherols & just the Tocotrienols).
And I'm not even sure if it's doing any benefits -- though the Purely-E taken in high doses gave me a better complexion.
But at the same time, I'm not so sure if its Tocotrienol content does harm (I've heard something from Georgi that it grows your Liver, if I remembered it correctly).
'Cause some are saying that it's harmful but there's also a person who dedicated his life's research to Vitamin-E (Dr. Barrie Tan).
And saying that Tocotrienols are what should be taken and not the Tocopherols.
And of course he probably has his own patented Vitamin-E...

But now I'd also want to try out the Idealabs Vitamin-E, but I just find it hardcore to place an order.
I'll probably just use a dummy card and see how it goes from there.

Also you mentioned Policosanols, which I also take.
But I don't know the difference yet of taking it from Bee's Wax.
I'll look more about it in the Policonsanols thread, as my response might become totally irrelevant again... haha.

Last edited:

Dr. B

I don't have a bottle of it from the past that has the label to tell me what it contained then. It may be the same all these years, but again what do we know of the owners of that company changing hands? It's just easy for a rich crook (plenty of them running around with their fake money and their immunity from the law) to buy up a nice company and tear it to shreds (see the bankruptcies of many fine American industrial concerns by LBOs) or to use that company's good name to inflict harm (The Guardian, Washington Post, New York Times who has amassed quite a few major exposes in their heyday). If they can do that to big corporations and newspapers, The AC Grace Company is just peanuts. Wasn't that what was done to Armour thyroid, as Ray Peat would recount?

The current bottle of AC Grace Unique does not put PUFAs in their capsule. Very good. Wonderful! They list alpha-tocopherol at 400 IU, and the rest of the natural tocopherols (beta-, gamma, and delta-tocopherols) at 432 mg. Keeping that as a proprietary secret what the blend of the mixed tocopherols aside from alpha-tocopherol is. How do we know they don't just shift the blend according to their whims?

Not much I can find about beta- and delta-tocopherols, but on gamma-tocopherols, studies show that it doesn't offer as much antioxidant protection as alpha-tocopherol, but it has higher activity in trapping lipophilic electrophiles and reactive nitrogen and oxygen species. Ray Peat has talked about Vitamin E not only being an antioxidant, but it has anti-estrogen and anti-PUFA properties which the mainstream wants to leave out of the conversation about the benefits of Vitamin E. So the focus has been on alpha-tocopherol, leaving its fraternity bro tocopherols unappreciated for their individual strengths and uses.

Attached are two articles written on gamma-tocopherol. I'm actually going to use a blend that is predominantly gamma-tocopherol soon to see if can be effective in removing oxidized LDL from my blood vessel walls. However, I will also take in policosanols from beeswax that is mixed in a cocoa butter and coconut oil base to make it into a homogenous mixture as @Mufasa has been doing. The policosanols are part of what Ray Peat calls Original Vitamin E, and based on that haidut's blend of TocoVit has policosanols in them, which most, if not all vitamin E blends don't have. Further on, I may try to incorporate cyclodextrins (may - as I don't know what I'm doing) as Ray Peat has mentioned its use to enable macrophages to remove oxidized LDL in a newsletter.

Incidentally, pretty soon, if it has not already begun, Vitamin E labeling will be strictly in mg, and not in IU. I think the FDA wants to blur the line between different forms of vitamin E blends to further make us succumb to using the worst form of Vitamin E for big brother surely knows how to have our interests in mind.

mate I am almost certain there's quotes on here about Ray saying he likes gamma tocopherol the best, or he said something like ideally gamma tocopherol should be in an amount equal to alpha tocopherol. he's also said a small amount tocotrienol contributes to protective vitamin E action. that website someone else linked earlier, maybe you linked it, claims tocotrienol is the food sources of vitamin E which turns into tocopherols once processed and distilled. that seems odd, it seems only some foods have tocotrienols and its actually the more saturated fats like coconut oil or palm oil which have tocotrienols whereas the more unsaturated fats like soybean oil etc have the tocopherols.
interesting on beeswax, amazon has a lot of options for organic beeswax, even beeswax pellets. i heard good things about it, and am going to get some beeswax, maybe the pellets, as a chewing gum replacement. im hoping they go well and provide a somewhat tough chewing material, and if it dissolves after an hour or two i can just eat them for the benefits of beeswax.

swanson does sell an isolated policosanols product. is that worth getting.
yeah I think Ray said some of the original benefits with vitamin E were actually the policosanols effects. btw Ray has never tried the wheat germ oil vitamin E, apparently he just read studies on it or something... i think he never had access to a low pufa wheat germ vitamin E. im curious what he thought of Haiduts product. vitamin E seems to be the most peaty supplement out there, in Peats article he said he doesnt recommend any supplements besides salt and vitamin E. im not sure if he considers thyroid/progesterone to be supplements or if those are considered things he only likes for temporary usage to fix a problem then stop using.
what is cyclodextrins? havent heard of it.

i think there were changes a couple years back in how the conversion was made from IU to mg with vitamin E, or it was maybe the rda that may have dropped or increased. there were major changes done to the RDA in 2019, so if you notice, the supplement products from before 2019 had different requirements/standards than 2019 and later. i think the ruling was they had till sometime in 2021 to update the labels.
and actually, some of the changes were for the better, and in line with Peats recommendations. The rda for iron for men was downgraded from 18mg to 8mg. so if it's a male centric multivitamin they should be listing 8mg iron as 100% rda now. childrens recommendations may still be at 18mg.
manganese, may have dropped from 2.3mg to 2mg.
zinc from 15mg to 11mg. copper from 2mg to 0.9mg, molybdenum from 75mcg to 45mcg, vitamin A from 5000IU to 3000IU. vitamin d and k im not sure. chromium from 120mcg to 35mcg. selenium from 70 or 80mcg to 55mcg. niacin/niacinamide dropped from 20mg to 16mg. i think most of them were lowerings of the standards. Peat doesnt think chromium is an essential nutrient. he likely agrees with the iron and vitamin A changes. he may not agree with the zinc, copper and manganese changes.

i think there was something in thornes ultimate E that may have made it even better than unique E. but thorne claims their E is originally from soy, but they use molecular distillation to such an extent that no soy protein or fats are remaining, and according to them all allergenic potential is gone. their vitamin E does have that amber, very dark red brown color and is very viscous. i cant say how it compares to unique E. is molecular distilled vitamin E even something we want, does it maybe have side effects of its own even though the product is completely free of pufa and soy proteins/fats? some fish oils are also molecularly distilled.

Ben.

This is good reading I picked up from an RPF thread on Vitamin E from the early years of RPF (there sure are a lot of golden nuggets from that time, if you guys do a good search instead of posting questions that have been asked before, as you'll find many good answers that you won't find nowadays):

Tells you what you need to know about the original Vitamin E that worked very well, and the synthetic ones, and how "science" was used against mixed tocopherols necessitating the production of inferior esterified vitamin E such as the acetate and succinate forms. And how Hoffman LaRoche used its influence to establish the synthetic dl-alpha tocopheral as the standard.

Reading this makes my stomach churn, knowing that the fix was in already long ago to destroy our health by using "science" and propaganda to direct us into using inferior grades of vitamin E.

I don't know about you, but I don't believe any of the studies regarding how good the acetates and succinates are. Just garbage.

Thanks alot for sharing. Very interesting and i am always surprised when i read/find "old" stuff that is so so value but is not realy known among common people ...

This one kinda hits me hard when i think of all the modern illnesses we suffer:

"It's noteworthy that without the aid of the biochemist, mankind would not have vitamin E capsules available. But if we had no biochemists, there would be no need to buy vitamin E capsules, as all the ingredients would have been left in our foods."

Ben.

Well, Sir Bollox, I use over 10 grams of C daily and 800 IU of mixed tocopherols and have been doing so for 40 years

I know this is kinda offtopic but i have to ask, how the hell are you getting in 10 grams of vitamin c?

Acerola cherry powder? Camu Camu or Amlu berry powder? Or conventional synthetic ascorbic acid?

The only times i've heard of such dosages were in in specific illness situations such as

lymephotos.com

"...A cumulative effect of much research has produced the possibility that salt and vitamin C may be all that is needed to beat this elusive illness."

"... From experimenting with the treatment of salt and vitamin C, we settled on a dosage of 3 grams of salt and 3,000 mg of vitamin C, each dose taken 4 times per day. Depending upon one's weight this would approximate one gram for each ten pounds of body weight. We think total daily dosage should not exceed 18 grams of salt or Vitamin C per day, and 15 grams would be the average adult's dosage for a full 24 hour period."

or

My life is not an anecdote. When I was young I did boxing for several years, and could do jumping with a rope for 40 minutes straight non stop. So when in my early 30s I have developed varicose vains and could walk with my girlfriend only for 20 minutes and then I had to ask her to stop to make a rest, I felt very depressed. After the vitamin C megadose for several months I could walk and i did not feel the heaviness in my legs. after 20+ years since then I still don't have problems using my legs. I don't need an ultrasound.

The dose was 15-21 grams daily. I remember that I had bulging visible veins on my calfs. They are not protruding or visible any more. 2-3 years after that
I begun doing yoga head stand, and I am doing it daily since then. May be the headstand prevents the problem to return? The head stand I do with a stool,
where the weight is on shoulders, and on average it's daily 10-20 min. Sometimes 30 min.

I dont think this guy is doing megadosing anymore after the issue was resolved so you doing it for 40 years is kinda crazy to fathom but simultanously impressive that it did not cause any issues(?).

yerrag

I made a written spreadsheet and compared four brands -

AC Grace Unique E
Thorne Ultimate E
Andrew Lessman Ultimate Gamma Vit E
Purely-E
Of these, I found Purely-E to be the most marketing-oriented in the unflattering and misleading way. Uses buzzwords like non-GMO, 100% food-based, and non-soy. Nice, but it is the most costly when you compute the cost per mg of alpha-tocopherol. It does not reveal at all how much gamma tocopherol is contained, gamma being the other tocopherol aside from alpha that serves a known purpose ( alpha having strong anti-oxidant properties, while gamma being more useful in removing oxidized LDL, with the beta and delta forms being less investigated and known for their value, not that they don't have anti-oxidant value but their value is less recognized). So, it may explain why @fr@ found it less effective.

All of these brands use natural tocopherols, and all are mixed tocopherols. All of them don't contain PUFAs inside the gel capsule, and if oil is contained, it is MCT oil. Aside from Purely-E, all do not claim non-GMO but all are allergen-free. Perhaps there is some value to the non-GMO claim of Purely-E, but in terms of antioxidant content it is considerably less than the rest. And in terms of what I consider the ability to help remove oxidized LDL from the blood vessels, its lack of transparency with tne content of the gamma isoform makes its use toward that purpose a big question mark.

My calculations are based on the retail price of these items in Amazon or the products' websites. It is based on the following equivalence of IU for each mg of each isoform, referencing the article by Morton Walker I earlier shared:

1 mg d-alpha tocopherol = 2 mg beta tocopherol = 10 mg gamma tocopherol = 1.5 IU

for delta tocopherol, in the absence of data, I just assumed it has the same antioxidant capacity as beta tocopherol at 2 mg delta tocopherol = 1.5 IU

From my calculation,

Unique-E is most cost-effective on all counts -from cost/total IU (officially FDA consider alpha tocopherol to be the ony isomer with antioxidant value but I don't believe that to be true) as well as cost/ alpha IU and cost/gamma IU - which is what I would recommend if you're getting the best value for taking vitamin E for its antioxidant value, including taking it for its PUFA peroxidation blocking ability w/r to COVID, as mentioned by the OP. Same applies if taking vitamin E for its ability to remove oxidized LDL. Thorne is more than twice as costly, and Andrew Lessman's product is even more costly, at 3x more at least. However, I am assuming they are all of equal quality, and that may not be the case

However, I am trying out Andrew Lessman's product. It may still be of use as I really want to get a lot of gamma tocopherol without getting too much alpha tocopherol, and the ratio of gamma to alpha tocopherol in the product may be ideal for my using the product to remove oxidized LDL from my blood vessels. I don't want to get too much antioxidant from alpha tocopherol as that may cause me harm.

Moreover, the IU is a metric useful for antioxidant power, but there is no metric for the power to remove oxidized LDL, which gamma tocopherol has. And too much alpha tocopherol intake actually reduces gamma tocopherol in the body: Is Supplementing Vit E Actually Bad For You?

Apologies I just scanned my manual worksheet as it's too much time to transfer them to a nice looking table with nice formatting.

Attachments

• Vit E Costing Calc.jpg
    Vit E Costing Calc.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

yerrag

swanson does sell an isolated policosanols product. is that worth getting.
The policosanols thread of mauritio discusses more on it, but some like the powder you can buy from PureBulk.
what is cyclodextrins?
It is some sort of additive with emusifier effect, where one end is lipophilic, and the other is lipophobic (or water loving). Ray talked about it in the November 2019 issue of his newsletter. Give or take a year if it's not on that issue.
i think there was something in thornes ultimate E that may have made it even better than unique E. but thorne claims their E is originally from soy, but they use molecular distillation to such an extent that no soy protein or fats are remaining, and according to them all allergenic potential is gone. their vitamin E does have that amber, very dark red brown color and is very viscous. i cant say how it compares to unique E. is molecular distilled vitamin E even something we want, does it maybe have side effects of its own even though the product is completely free of pufa and soy proteins/fats? some fish oils are also molecularly distilled.
I don't think Unique E doesn't have the same kind of technology or equivalent that can good quality vitamin E that's not allergenic. Unique E says it's product is not allergenic, and it's been around for a while.
mate I am almost certain there's quotes on here about Ray saying he likes gamma tocopherol the best, or he said something like ideally gamma tocopherol should be in an amount equal to alpha tocopherol. he's also said a small amount tocotrienol contributes to protective vitamin E action. that website someone else linked earlier, maybe you linked it, claims tocotrienol is the food sources of vitamin E which turns into tocopherols once processed and distilled. that seems odd, it seems only some foods have tocotrienols and its actually the more saturated fats like coconut oil or palm oil which have tocotrienols whereas the more unsaturated fats like soybean oil etc have the tocopherols.
In that case Unique E and Thorne's Ultimate E do not wander far away from that ratio.

alpha/gamma ratio of Unique is 268/300 and that of thorne is 335/490. But with Purely-E, there is no telling because it chooses to promote buzzwords than reveal how much gamma it has in its product. With Andrew Lessman's Gamma Vit E, the ratio is 67/500.

As for the tocotrienols, we'll have to find that source. It is interesting. Andrew Lessman sells a product that has the tocotrienols as well as all the tocopherals, but I haven't been incentivized to buy it. It's nice to know coconut oil contains tocotrienols though. @Daniil has mentioned this in another thread, but he suspects it's the reason some people react to coconut oil, but it's just a suspicion he has.

Here is a search on tocotrienols in this forum dating back to the start of last year:

I'm looking into it.

Last edited:

Ania

What do you guys think about this quote from Travis. According to him gamma tocopherol are cancerostatic, while alpha lead to elevated cancer risk.

Klein, E. "Vitamin E and the risk of prostate cancer: the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT)." Jama (2011)

This classic article had been cited 1145 times and is notable both for the reduced risk noted in the selenomethione group (RR=.8) and the increased risk found among the 'vitamin E' group (RR=1.6). If you are wondering why the 'vitamin E' group had an increased cancer risk, this is mostly likely on account of α-tocopherol being used exclusively. This vitamin E subtype had gained prominence in the early days as being most effective in the 'rat fetal absorption assay;' but since we are neither rats, fetuses, or female mice—and those not actually wanting an abortion—this means little compared to powerful nitrogen radical complexing ability of γ-tocopherol. Gamma-tocopherol exists on the cell membrane where it protects against reactive nitrogen species, and also in the cytosol after its 'tail' had been removed (γ-CEHC). This has been shown to adduct-with nitrogen dioxide⁽²⁾ and peroxynitrite—something α-tocopherol cannot do—and leads to very significant reductions (30–80%) of cancer in rats, humans, and countless in vitrocell studies. Gamma-tocopherol is the most carcerostatic vitamin E isoform and α-tocopherol prevents its assimilation, leading to elevated levels of cancer in those who take exclusively α-tocopherol. Vitamin E science highlights the importance of balanced or 'mixed tocopherols,' and also reveals the prime role reactive nitrogen species occupy in carcinogenesis. The dose of selenomethionine used by Klein had been 200·µg.

Rick K

I know this is kinda offtopic but i have to ask, how the hell are you getting in 10 grams of vitamin c?

Acerola cherry powder? Camu Camu or Amlu berry powder? Or conventional synthetic ascorbic acid?

The only times i've heard of such dosages were in in specific illness situations such as

lymephotos.com

"...A cumulative effect of much research has produced the possibility that salt and vitamin C may be all that is needed to beat this elusive illness."

"... From experimenting with the treatment of salt and vitamin C, we settled on a dosage of 3 grams of salt and 3,000 mg of vitamin C, each dose taken 4 times per day. Depending upon one's weight this would approximate one gram for each ten pounds of body weight. We think total daily dosage should not exceed 18 grams of salt or Vitamin C per day, and 15 grams would be the average adult's dosage for a full 24 hour period."

or

I dont think this guy is doing megadosing anymore after the issue was resolved so you doing it for 40 years is kinda crazy to fathom but simultanously impressive that it did not cause any issues(?).
Can't for the life of me understand why it would cause issues. I've been as high as 15 gms per day. Sodium ascorbate powder or ascorbic acid capsules at 1 gm each and divide daily dose. I rely on my own experience; never query anyone else as to what they're doing or why. Any supps I take I have adjusted dose to obtain desired effect. Perhaps there are those who think this dose of C is too high but I really don't care what anyone thinks. I use what works for me. I have decades of training in iron body and iron palm and believe the C helped mitigate any damage until my body and nervous system were modified to deal with what I put myself through. I don't need glasses, have a full head of hair and Sir Johnson works the same as when I was a teenager. I got into a program called Life Extension when I was 20, got great direction from Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw, and went from a perpetual asthmatic and eczema riddled skinny kid with bookoos of allergies to being free of all issues and getting strong enough to rip the door off your car. Supps and I think perhaps the right lotion (sarc) helped.

yerrag

What do you guys think about this quote from Travis. According to him gamma tocopherol are cancerostatic, while alpha lead to elevated cancer risk.

Klein, E. "Vitamin E and the risk of prostate cancer: the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT)." Jama (2011)

This classic article had been cited 1145 times and is notable both for the reduced risk noted in the selenomethione group (RR=.8) and the increased risk found among the 'vitamin E' group (RR=1.6). If you are wondering why the 'vitamin E' group had an increased cancer risk, this is mostly likely on account of α-tocopherol being used exclusively. This vitamin E subtype had gained prominence in the early days as being most effective in the 'rat fetal absorption assay;' but since we are neither rats, fetuses, or female mice—and those not actually wanting an abortion—this means little compared to powerful nitrogen radical complexing ability of γ-tocopherol. Gamma-tocopherol exists on the cell membrane where it protects against reactive nitrogen species, and also in the cytosol after its 'tail' had been removed (γ-CEHC). This has been shown to adduct-with nitrogen dioxide⁽²⁾ and peroxynitrite—something α-tocopherol cannot do—and leads to very significant reductions (30–80%) of cancer in rats, humans, and countless in vitrocell studies. Gamma-tocopherol is the most carcerostatic vitamin E isoform and α-tocopherol prevents its assimilation, leading to elevated levels of cancer in those who take exclusively α-tocopherol. Vitamin E science highlights the importance of balanced or 'mixed tocopherols,' and also reveals the prime role reactive nitrogen species occupy in carcinogenesis. The dose of selenomethionine used by Klein had been 200·µg.

I think that taking vitamin E from nature is best. Next is taking it as a supplement, in its whole form, complete with the different isomers of tocopherol, and even with policasonals. Not in the form in multi-vitamins, in acetates or succinate form. Not in the similarly synthetic dl-alpha tocopherol form, and not even in the d-alpha tocopherol form separated from the gamma, beta, and delta isomers.

But the Z pharma people long ago decided to confuse us with their propaganda. And this is why it is hard for all of us to understand Vitamin E in all its forms. And the easy way out is to say all vitamin E is good, or that vitamin E supplementation is not needed, or worse, that vitamin E supplementation is harmful and may even cause cancer. The Z's make something simple into a frankenstein so that everyone will just go to an expert to decode the confusing mess, and the expert will just mouth off a script from the Z medical curriculum, which is basically bull. Or he will say something out of the mouth of the pretty medical representative sent over to give him his continuing education in all things good and shiny in medicine.

You cam see the malice of Z pharma here. Its stooge FDA only recorgnizes the antioxidant value of alpha-tocopherol. The IU measurement is simply based off the antioxidant value of alpha-tocopherol, as if gamma, beta, and delta isomers are useless. So, people would end up only taking alpha-tocopherol if not the synthetic dl-alpha-tocopherol and think they have protection. But it ends up doing the opposite, and causing more harm, and even cancer.

Only Z pharma would do that. Z's are not about health, nor progress. They're about decay and depravity and sickness.

CLASH

Clash, I'd love to help you but it would take several chapters to break it all down and that usually begets more questions, especially when people want my view on what someone else says or does. I got strong not because of good genetics, far from it. I was just determined to push the envelope. You have to learn to love the bar and the weight or you'll lose interest. You must keep reps involved even if it's only four per set. This will save your joints and that's usually what people screw up. Look up Ronnie Coleman, now and back in the day to see what can happen. I train for myself, to age well. Don't compare to others or you'll fail. Pick an objective and then advance it by half. (by next year I wanna squat 500 lbs) and then make it happen in 6 months. Start midline on everything you do in life and find your balance and move from there. Lots of "certified trainers" think I'm insane because I train 6 days a week and they think it should be 3 or 4. That's what they need to do, I guess. Six days works great for me and my strength didn't peak until I turned 56. Three days high reps 12-18, for size and 3 days for strength 4-8 reps, weight adjusted accordingly. Same weight every set with only 1 warm up at about 70% of max weight lifted that day. When you think you can't do one more rep do two. As your rep capability increases you can add more weight and knock it back a couple of reps. Eat well. Lots of carbs and protein. If you're waking up hungry use casein protein at bedtime with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Train like a psycho.
Good luck.

Appreciate your comment Rich,

I lift quite regularly as well, and have developed decent strength despite a significant injury.

I lift 6-7 days as well, however I adjust intensity and volume in alternate fashion in conjunction with alternation of upper and lower days; to aid recovery.

I agree consistency, present awareness, and progress towards a goal are absolutely key.

I'm interested in general to hear your several chapters, not so that I can copy you directly per say, but to narrow down some of the important principles, mindsets, and motivations that have allowed you to succeed like you have. Its very uncommon to find someone who has maintained the lifting habit as long as you have, and has progressed to the level you have overtime.

Its also uncommon to make it to your age, with your lifting history, without significant injury.

There's no pressure at all to share your chapters. Just wanted to clarify where I was coming from.

Yves

mate have you or Peat posted about fluoride detox? getting rid of the fluoride stored in us, especially after years of drinking tap water? i heard it also calcifies the pineal gland. are there specific substances that help to detox it. I have heard of boron, iodine itself, and taurine. i dont know if taurine detoxes it but apparently helps thyroid function despite fluoride intake. the boron and iodine supplementation, may detox fluoride but have issues on their own.
I used to be very sensitive to fluoridated water, and still find it makes me prone to headaches and brain fog when I can't avoid it. I found iodine supplementation followed by liberal drinking of oral rehydration solutions (basically Pedialyte but you can buy the packets to make a litre for like 25 cents) helped alot in reducing sensitivity to fluoride, may have reduced some very mild fluorosis I had as a kid, among other benefits. Iirc if your thyroid is saturated with iodine it will not uptake other halogens which is why they give out iodine tablets in case there's a radiation leak.

Start slow with the iodine, and drink the salty oral rehydration solution to flush the displaced fluoride out of your system. I don't have the link handy but I remember reading chloride played a role it removing the fluoride once iodine displaces it from the tissues.

I also tried boron supplementation, but couldn't identify any noticable effect.

fr@

@yerrag

Man... you're the bomb! What I meant was thanks a lot (lots of useful stuff).

It also got me into reading some stuff about Gamma-Tocopherols -- still a lot for me to understand though :grin

Meanwhile, people here in my place who already took their 2nd shot were:

- Coughing
- Sneezing
- Not feeling well
- The other had sore throat
- Exacerbated their asthma
- etc... hahaha

[Not that I have I'll will towards them.]

LeeLemonoil

Isn't that another fraudulent spin like in so maynCancer-Studies: An expensive pharmacon failed and the they claim it works in "synergy" with a more natural or purely natural "adjuvant".

In this case, they claim Remdesivir works wehn Vit-E-derivate is combined with it while it is clearly the Vitaminoid itself.

Question:
Are ther any water-soluble Vitamin-E derivates known of or feasible but not yet known that occur naturally or get synthesized maybe ven in our organism?

nigma

A great study that demonstrates once again the versatility of vitamin E, not only as a PUFA peroxidation blocker (a better term than "antioxidant", as the latter actually implies a metabolic inhibitor), but also as a substance with direct antiviral effects. Several studies came out over the last year demonstrating that most of the symptoms, morbidity and even mortality of COVID-19 are due to lipid peroxidation and an inflammatory cascade triggered by both angiotensin II and the inflammatory mediators derived from PUFA through the activity of the COX and LOX enzymes. However, there are much fewer studies demonstrating substances with direct viral replication inhibiting effects against SARS-CoV-2. Glycine, naringenin, vitamin D, quinine, and potentially zinc are some such substances but it would be nice if there was a substance that could provide both a direct viral inhibition as well as inhibiting the development of COVID-19 once the infection has already taken hold. Well, it looks like vitamin E may be one such substance. The study below demonstrated that even at a low concentration of 10 uM/L, alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) inhibited SARS-CoV-2 by more than 90%. That concentration can be achieved in human by taking just 75 IU - 100 IU orally, once daily. Since vitamin E has a half-life of about 48 hours, this dosage can even be taken every other day and still achieve the same concentrations and, hopefully, the same antiviral effects. And if that was not already great news, the study also found that vitamin E can block the replication/infection caused by the entire family of beta-coronaviruses (of which SARS-CoV-2 is a member)! So, it looks like vitamin E may be a cheap, safe and widely available OTC protection against not only the "fearsome" SARS-CoV-2 but also the common cold. The latter is something modern medicine claims is impossible. We've all heard the story on TV for years - "Listen to me boy - there is no cure/protection against the common cold!" :): And the good news does not end there. The study also found that alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) was about 100-fold more potent/effective than remdesivir against SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses!

The only handicap of the study is that it claims it studied "water-soluble" versions of vitamin E, which prompts most readers to think that regular vitamin E would not have such effects. However, the study explicitly found that the plain, unesterified alpha-tocopherol was the beneficial element and the only reason the study bothered with the water-soluble versions of vitamin E was the persistent (and false) myth that unesterified vitamin E somehow has poor absorption when taken orally (due to its lipophilicity) and thus water-soluble versions need to be taken for optimal absorption/effects. Also, in-virto studies typically used aqueous cellular environment and as such water-soluble chemicals are preferred as their effects are much easier to ascertain. Btw, none of the oral bioavailability nonsense is true and multiple human studies have demonstrated that unesterified vitamin E not only absorbs well in humans after oral use, but all of the water-soluble esters have lower anti-peroxidation activity and often cause allergic side effects. So, if one wants to replicate the findings of the study below, I'd suggest using orally plain alpha-tocopherol mixed with some fat.

@Drareg @Regina @tankasnowgod @boris @Giraffe @charlie

Water-soluble tocopherol derivatives inhibit SARS-CoV-2 RNA-dependent RNA polymerase
Water-soluble vitamin E compounds directly inhibit SARS-CoV-2 replication and synergize with remdesivir

"...This led to the identification of 12 compounds that reduced SARS-CoV-2 propagation by more than 90% at a concentration of just 10µM. Next, the researchers found that five of these top 12 compounds reduced the burden of SARS-CoV-2 by more than 90% in the human lung epithelial cell line Calu3. Four of these drugs – niclosamide, remdesivir, lopinavir, and D-α-tocopherol polyethylene glycol succinate (TPGS) – showed maximal efficacy in preventing established SARS-CoV-2 infection in VeroE6 cells. In addition, 11 of the 12 top compounds demonstrated strong antiviral activity against the seasonal betacoronavirus OC43, suggesting that most of the compounds are effective against betacoronaviruses more broadly."

"...To understand the mechanism underlying the antiviral activity of TPGS, the researchers tested its constituent components: D-α-tocopherol, succinate, and polyethylene glycol. Since α-tocopherol alone is insoluble in an aqueous environment, the researchers instead tested α-tocopherol succinate (αTOS) and α-tocopherol phosphate (αTOP). This revealed that αTOS is capable of inhibiting SARS-CoV2 replication in VeroE6 cells, suggesting that α-tocopherol is the active antiviral component in TPGS. Given the potent synergy observed between TPGS and remdesivir – which is a known inhibitor of the SARS-CoV-2 RdRp – the team hypothesized that TPGS also inhibits this RdRp. The researchers measured the ability of TPGS to inhibit the transcriptional activity of purified SARS-CoV-2 RdRp composed of the catalytic subunit non-structural protein 12 (NSP12) and two accessory proteins – NSP7 and NSP8. They found that TPGS inhibited the transcriptional activity of the SARS-CoV-2 RdRp, with a potency that was approximately 100-fold that of remdesivir."
I think it would be more fair to give this thread the title:

Vitamin E derivative 100-fold more potent than remdesivir for SARS-CoV-2 / coronaviruses​

The authors say that the water soluble aspect of the vitamin E derivative plays a key role in its potency, and not because fat-soluble vitamin E is not well absorbed into the body orally.

"...We consider water-solubility a key factor in the potency of these compounds. Regardless of the mechanism, inhibition of the polymerase complex would require the tocopherol molecules to exist in a soluble form within the aqueous environment of the cell. Pegylation is a known method of solubilizing small molecules, and we attribute the considerable improvement in potency to PEG derivatization in TPGS when compared to αTOS. A corollary of this argument is that the antiviral activity of these compounds in a biological context relies on the stability of the solubilizing modification to the tocopherol which varies in biological systems32. Should the modification be hydrolyzed, the hydrophobic tocopherol will not remain in solution and will lose its antiviral effect. This may account for the variable efficacy of antiviral activity between αTOS and αTOP in viral replication assays (Figure S6D,E), despite comparable efficacy and potency in our transcriptional activity assay (Figure 3D). It is likely that both stability in an aqueous environment and hydrophobicity leading to greater cellular uptake both contribute to the antiviral activity of tocopherol derivatives tested here."

"...We subsequently determined that TPGS and other water-soluble derivatives of α-tocopherol inhibit the transcriptional activity of purified SARS-CoV-2 RdRp and identified affinity binding sites for these compounds within a conserved, hydrophobic interface between SARS-CoV-2 nonstructural protein 7 and nonstructural protein 8 that is functionally implicated in the assembly of the SARS-CoV-2 RdRp6. In summary, we conclude that solubilizing modifications to α-tocopherol allow it to interact with the SARS-CoV-2 RdRp, making it an effective antiviral molecule alone and even more so in combination with remdesivir."

If the vitamin E is not water soluble, it wouldn't interact in the same way with the RNA polymerase, and therefore would be hard to imagine how it would have a similar effect.

yerrag

You are right. The outcome of this study then would be back to saying the water soluble form of vitamin E, in the form acetates and succinates, which are synthetic, makes the synthetic form superior to the natural tocopherols which are hydrophobic, when it comes to potency against SARS-COV2 viruses, compared to Remdesivir.

But I would turn my nose at such kind of studies. First, I though that water soluble substances find it difficult to penetrate the cell and that oil-soluble penetrate the cell better. So, without having to use pegylation, oil-soluble vitamin E can easily penetrate the cell membrane and get inside the cell. But this becomes a disadvantage for oil-soluble vitamin E because the study authors define water solubility within the cellular environment as important, thereby making the water-solubility aspect of synthetic vitamins superior and justifying the need for pegylation.

I really am no biochemist so I may have a lot of hot air, but these researchers have often done things not for science but for pharma profits and for corrupted peer reviewers - that I'm always thinking if I should waste my time on whatever studies they present. A lot of times they use ghost writers as well, and each time I read something crappy from them, it takes me away from reading articles that are more helpful and more honest.

I also see no point in comparing to Remdesivir for anything for anything COVID-related. It was approved in a sham study.

Dr. B

You are right. The outcome of this study then would be back to saying the water soluble form of vitamin E, in the form acetates and succinates, which are synthetic, makes the synthetic form superior to the natural tocopherols which are hydrophobic, when it comes to potency against SARS-COV2 viruses, compared to Remdesivir.

But I would turn my nose at such kind of studies. First, I though that water soluble substances find it difficult to penetrate the cell and that oil-soluble penetrate the cell better. So, without having to use pegylation, oil-soluble vitamin E can easily penetrate the cell membrane and get inside the cell. But this becomes a disadvantage for oil-soluble vitamin E because the study authors define water solubility within the cellular environment as important, thereby making the water-solubility aspect of synthetic vitamins superior and justifying the need for pegylation.

I really am no biochemist so I may have a lot of hot air, but these researchers have often done things not for science but for pharma profits and for corrupted peer reviewers - that I'm always thinking if I should waste my time on whatever studies they present. A lot of times they use ghost writers as well, and each time I read something crappy from them, it takes me away from reading articles that are more helpful and more honest.

I also see no point in comparing to Remdesivir for anything for anything COVID-related. It was approved in a sham study.
Ray said vitamin E backs up seleniums action. so it maybe helps recycle it or something

nigma

Ray said vitamin E backs up seleniums action. so it maybe helps recycle it or something
If an over burden of PUFA is a large contributor to COVID mortality as haidut has pointed to before, than vitamin E would be very helpful. But the study here is not talking about that particular mechanism.

Dr. B

If an over burden of PUFA is a large contributor to COVID mortality as haidut has pointed to before, than vitamin E would be very helpful. But the study here is not talking about that particular mechanism.
i dont understand? I just wanted to mention Rays comment on vitamin E and selenium

Makrosky

I made a written spreadsheet and compared four brands -

AC Grace Unique E
Thorne Ultimate E
Andrew Lessman Ultimate Gamma Vit E
Purely-E
Of these, I found Purely-E to be the most marketing-oriented in the unflattering and misleading way. Uses buzzwords like non-GMO, 100% food-based, and non-soy. Nice, but it is the most costly when you compute the cost per mg of alpha-tocopherol. It does not reveal at all how much gamma tocopherol is contained, gamma being the other tocopherol aside from alpha that serves a known purpose ( alpha having strong anti-oxidant properties, while gamma being more useful in removing oxidized LDL, with the beta and delta forms being less investigated and known for their value, not that they don't have anti-oxidant value but their value is less recognized). So, it may explain why @fr@ found it less effective.

All of these brands use natural tocopherols, and all are mixed tocopherols. All of them don't contain PUFAs inside the gel capsule, and if oil is contained, it is MCT oil. Aside from Purely-E, all do not claim non-GMO but all are allergen-free. Perhaps there is some value to the non-GMO claim of Purely-E, but in terms of antioxidant content it is considerably less than the rest. And in terms of what I consider the ability to help remove oxidized LDL from the blood vessels, its lack of transparency with tne content of the gamma isoform makes its use toward that purpose a big question mark.

My calculations are based on the retail price of these items in Amazon or the products' websites. It is based on the following equivalence of IU for each mg of each isoform, referencing the article by Morton Walker I earlier shared:

1 mg d-alpha tocopherol = 2 mg beta tocopherol = 10 mg gamma tocopherol = 1.5 IU

for delta tocopherol, in the absence of data, I just assumed it has the same antioxidant capacity as beta tocopherol at 2 mg delta tocopherol = 1.5 IU

From my calculation,

Unique-E is most cost-effective on all counts -from cost/total IU (officially FDA consider alpha tocopherol to be the ony isomer with antioxidant value but I don't believe that to be true) as well as cost/ alpha IU and cost/gamma IU - which is what I would recommend if you're getting the best value for taking vitamin E for its antioxidant value, including taking it for its PUFA peroxidation blocking ability w/r to COVID, as mentioned by the OP. Same applies if taking vitamin E for its ability to remove oxidized LDL. Thorne is more than twice as costly, and Andrew Lessman's product is even more costly, at 3x more at least. However, I am assuming they are all of equal quality, and that may not be the case

However, I am trying out Andrew Lessman's product. It may still be of use as I really want to get a lot of gamma tocopherol without getting too much alpha tocopherol, and the ratio of gamma to alpha tocopherol in the product may be ideal for my using the product to remove oxidized LDL from my blood vessels. I don't want to get too much antioxidant from alpha tocopherol as that may cause me harm.

Moreover, the IU is a metric useful for antioxidant power, but there is no metric for the power to remove oxidized LDL, which gamma tocopherol has. And too much alpha tocopherol intake actually reduces gamma tocopherol in the body: Is Supplementing Vit E Actually Bad For You?

Apologies I just scanned my manual worksheet as it's too much time to transfer them to a nice looking table with nice formatting.
yerrag, thanks a lot for providing all this info. I have never tried Vitamin E on its own and would like to give it a try. For general health, androgenicity and lipid peroxidation protection. Would you recommend the unique-e then?