Vitamin D3 Might Improve Headache Characteristics And Protect Against Inflammation In Migraine

agnostic

Vitamin D3 might improve headache characteristics and protect against inflammation in migraine: a randomized clinical trial

Zeinab Ghorbani, Mansoureh Togha, Pegah Rafiee, Zeynab Sadat Ahmadi, Reyhaneh Rasekh Magham, Mahmoud Djalali, Sahar Shahemi, Fahimeh Martami, Mahnaz Zareei, Soodeh Razeghi Jahromi, Shadi Ariyanfar & Maryam Mahmoudi

Neurological Sciences (2020)

Abstract

Introduction

Due to anti-inflammatory effects of vitamin D3, we aimed to explore the effects of supplementation with this vitamin on headache characteristics and serum levels of pro/anti-inflammatory markers in migraineurs.

Methods and materials
This placebo-controlled, double-blind study included 80 episodic migraineurs who randomly assigned into two equal groups to receive either daily dose of vitamin D3 2000 IU (50 μg) or placebo for 12 weeks. At baseline and after the trial, headache characteristics were determined using diaries and serum levels of interleukin (IL)-10, IL-6, inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2) were assessed via ELISA method.

Results
At the end of trial, analysis of covariance (ANCOVA) adjusted for baseline values, and confounders revealed that vitamin D3 supplemented group experienced significantly lower headache days per month (4.71), reduced attacks duration (12.99 h/attack), less severe headaches (5.47, visual analog scale), and lower analgesics use/month (2.85) than placebo group (6.43, 18.32, 6.38 and 4.87, respectively) (P values < 0.05). Using ANCOVA adjusted for baseline levels and confounding variables, it was found that serum levels of IL-10 and Cox-2 did not significantly differ between groups after the experiment; whereas, iNOS serum level was significantly reduced in the intervention group (106.06 U/L) comparing to the controls (156.18 U/L P : 0.001). Also, the patients receiving vitamin D3 yielded a marginally significant lower IL-6 serum concentration (76.43 ng/L) compared to placebo (93.10 ng/L) (P value:0.055).

Conclusion
Based on the results of this study, we found that 2000 IU (50 μg)/day vitamin D3 supplementation for 12 weeks could improve headache characteristics and might reduce neuro-inflammation in episodic migraine.

kaybb

Vitamin D3 might improve headache characteristics and protect against inflammation in migraine: a randomized clinical trial

Zeinab Ghorbani, Mansoureh Togha, Pegah Rafiee, Zeynab Sadat Ahmadi, Reyhaneh Rasekh Magham, Mahmoud Djalali, Sahar Shahemi, Fahimeh Martami, Mahnaz Zareei, Soodeh Razeghi Jahromi, Shadi Ariyanfar & Maryam Mahmoudi

Neurological Sciences (2020)

Abstract

Introduction

Due to anti-inflammatory effects of vitamin D3, we aimed to explore the effects of supplementation with this vitamin on headache characteristics and serum levels of pro/anti-inflammatory markers in migraineurs.

Methods and materials
This placebo-controlled, double-blind study included 80 episodic migraineurs who randomly assigned into two equal groups to receive either daily dose of vitamin D3 2000 IU (50 μg) or placebo for 12 weeks. At baseline and after the trial, headache characteristics were determined using diaries and serum levels of interleukin (IL)-10, IL-6, inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2) were assessed via ELISA method.

Results
At the end of trial, analysis of covariance (ANCOVA) adjusted for baseline values, and confounders revealed that vitamin D3 supplemented group experienced significantly lower headache days per month (4.71), reduced attacks duration (12.99 h/attack), less severe headaches (5.47, visual analog scale), and lower analgesics use/month (2.85) than placebo group (6.43, 18.32, 6.38 and 4.87, respectively) (P values < 0.05). Using ANCOVA adjusted for baseline levels and confounding variables, it was found that serum levels of IL-10 and Cox-2 did not significantly differ between groups after the experiment; whereas, iNOS serum level was significantly reduced in the intervention group (106.06 U/L) comparing to the controls (156.18 U/L P : 0.001). Also, the patients receiving vitamin D3 yielded a marginally significant lower IL-6 serum concentration (76.43 ng/L) compared to placebo (93.10 ng/L) (P value:0.055).

Conclusion
Based on the results of this study, we found that 2000 IU (50 μg)/day vitamin D3 supplementation for 12 weeks could improve headache characteristics and might reduce neuro-inflammation in episodic migraine.
Do you think this would also apply to migraines that are triggered by barameteic changes, that storms cause. I never get them unless there is barameteic changes. I’ve supplemented D before, I could try again.

Do you think this would also apply to migraines that are triggered by barameteic changes, that storms cause. I never get them unless there is barameteic changes. I’ve supplemented D before, I could try again.

I believe it would,the mechanism is general health,anti inflam based,RP advises for 50-70ng/ml.As estimate, 5000IU-10000IU as D3 oral is necessary for that,and very safe.

kaybb

I believe it would,the mechanism is general health,anti inflam based,RP advises for 50-70ng/ml.As estimate, 5000IU-10000IU as D3 oral is necessary for that,and very safe.
Thank you for your reply . I’ll try it !

Thank you for your reply . I’ll try it !

"D is so important,one of the supplements where i could feel its presence strongly.Healed recurrent 'sore throat' forever.you should aim for 50-70ng/ml,or 100ng/ml,which can be achieved by 10000IUD3/d.
40IU/d of oral D3 raises blood-D by~0.4ng/ml.
"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals