Vitamin D Supplementation is Improving my Sleep

M

metabolizm

For the past few months I've been taking an oral vitamin D supplement, and I'm sleeping better than I have since I was a kid. Some nights I don't wake up to pee, which is really significant for me, because typically I get up at least twice.

I'm taking a 4000IU supplement on average three times a week. I had my blood level tested recently and it was hovering around 50ng/mL. I was pleased to see that the supplement is doing what it is supposed to do.

Just thought I'd record this here. If you're not sleeping well, vitamin D is something to consider.

Note: I'm not going to reveal the brand in case of any accusations of affiliation. Also, I live at a northerly latitude, so vitamin D supplementation is probably necessary for me at this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mossy

For the past few months I've been taking an oral vitamin D supplement, and I'm sleeping better than I have since I was a kid. Some nights I don't wake up to pee, which is really significant for me, because typically I get up at least twice.

I'm taking a 4000IU supplement on average three times a week. I had my blood level tested recently and it was hovering around 50ng/mL. I was pleased to see that the supplement is doing what it is supposed to do.

Just thought I'd record this here. If you're not sleeping well, vitamin D is something to consider.

Note: I'm not going to reveal the brand in case of any accusations of affiliation. Also, I live at a northerly latitude, so vitamin D supplementation is probably necessary for me at this time of year.
Interesting. What time of day do you take it, and do you take any other supplements with it?

OP
M

metabolizm

Interesting. What time of day do you take it, and do you take any other supplements with it?

Usually with breakfast, but I’m not consistent with that. No other supplements.

Mossy

Usually with breakfast, but I’m not consistent with that. No other supplements.
Thank you. I may try this, with just the D3. I usually took it with K2 and A in the past, which gave me trouble.

OP
M

metabolizm

Thank you. I may try this, with just the D3. I usually took it with K2 and A in the past, which gave me trouble.

Should have mentioned, it wasn’t an instant effect. I think it was three or four weeks before I noticed my sleep was improving.

Mauritio

Similar experiecne here ,when I didnt supplement this fall I found it very hard to fall asleep .

Spartan300

Interesting, I had a brief spell of improved sleep quite a while back when I was having a few sunbed sessions but I hadn't made the association.

ddjd

Vitamin D, particularly the active form (calcitriol) increases GAD67 and increases GABA = great sleep

Nebula

Topical vitamin D gives me a very good endotoxin antagonism effect, but unfortunately it also gives me intense dreams and not very restful sleep. I like the effect on digestion a lot though, does vitamin A help minimize these effects on sleep?

dukesbobby777

Topical vitamin D gives me a very good endotoxin antagonism effect, but unfortunately it also gives me intense dreams and not very restful sleep. I like the effect on digestion a lot though, does vitamin A help minimize these effects on sleep?

@haidut mentioned in a thread that he wouldn’t take D3 without vitamin A at a ratio IIRC of 1:5 (I think).

Personally I get the same effects from D3. It doesn’t make me sleepy. Just wide awake and alert, even when I take it in the morning. I also notice the beneficial effect on the gut.

Mossy

Should have mentioned, it wasn’t an instant effect. I think it was three or four weeks before I noticed my sleep was improving.
Ok, I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Mossy

A is antagonistic to D so I’d avoid. Restricting calcium may help when supplementing D+K
I’ve read that you may want to take them apart from each other, but that ultimately they balance each other. Which was my reason for taking them all:

“I think the 4 vitamins nicely balance each other. So, higher doses of vitamin E could cause bleeding issues but that is inhibited by vitamin K. Higher doses of vitamin D could cause hypercalcemia but that is inhibited by vitamin A. Vitamin A can cause some toxicity but that is inhibited by vitamin E. I think vitamin K is probably the only one without side effects, but in order for it to work well it needs vitamin D and A.”

I take it daily. Unfortunately, didn't help much. Sleep is still garbage.

P

Peatness

I take it daily. Unfortunately, didn't help much. Sleep is still garbage.
Poor sleep with vitamin D supplementation could be linked to b vitamins. Look into the work of Dr. Stasha Gominak on the role of vitamin b for regulating sleep along with vitamin D. I think she suggested not over doing the vitamin D.

MitchMitchell

Strange to me to want to solve poor sleep with vitamins when we live in an environment that totally disrupts the circadian rhythm.

melatonin slow release 5mg prebed for females and 10mg for males assuming a decent & healthy lower 20s BMI

tankasnowgod

Strange to me to want to solve poor sleep with vitamins when we live in an environment that totally disrupts the circadian rhythm.

melatonin slow release 5mg prebed for females and 10mg for males assuming a decent & healthy lower 20s BMI

Soooo..... you'd rather do it with a hormone?

That's okay then, Vitamin D is technically a hormone too.

MitchMitchell

Soooo..... you'd rather do it with a hormone?

That's okay then, Vitamin D is technically a hormone too.

yeah I’d much rather supplement 2 hormones directly tied to our extremely effed up light environments. I’m no Jack Kruse but this 24/7 artificial light routine is strongly detrimental to people’s lives.

MitchMitchell