Vitamin D Supplementation is Improving my Sleep

tankasnowgod

Prove it, silly?

I don’t have time rn for more than a 3 second research, being bombarded by all the pro BLM buffoons ha.
Well, 3 seconds of research for an irrelevant rat study deserves 3 seconds of research to find this Chris Masterjohn presentation that states the opposite-

Korven

Tried supplementing vitamin D again to help with sleep according to Stasha Gominaks protocol.

Immediately I got cystic acne on my back (before that I had enjoyed zero bacne for months) and my teeth started to dry out/feel weaker. And I feel really agitated and I get jaw clenching. And my sleep got way worse.

I don't get why vitamin D doesn't "work" for me, when it's supposedly worked great for 5000 of her patients? I doubt it's a matter of just pushing through the negative symptoms until I reach the magical 60-80 ng/ml. Maybe I'm allergic to supplemental vitamin D or something.

OP
M

metabolizm

Tried supplementing vitamin D again to help with sleep according to Stasha Gominaks protocol.

Immediately I got cystic acne on my back (before that I had enjoyed zero bacne for months) and my teeth started to dry out/feel weaker. And I feel really agitated and I get jaw clenching. And my sleep got way worse.

I don't get why vitamin D doesn't "work" for me, when it's supposedly worked great for 5000 of her patients? I doubt it's a matter of just pushing through the negative symptoms until I reach the magical 60-80 ng/ml. Maybe I'm allergic to supplemental vitamin D or something.

What type of supplement did you use? Mine is just a gelatin capsule with vitamin D and olive oil.

That is a strange reaction. Are you definitely deficient? When were you last tested?

Korven

What type of supplement did you use? Mine is just a gelatin capsule with vitamin D and olive oil.

That is a strange reaction. Are you definitely deficient? When were you last tested?

Agreed... it's really strange. I'm using a liquid vitamin D in MCT oil. No other ingredients. Perhaps it could be that I am reacting to the tiny amount of MCT oil?

Last time I got my blood levels checked was in February 2020 and I was at 30 ng/ml, so low but not super deficient. I should probably get another test done to see where I'm at.

Dr. B

I’ve read that you may want to take them apart from each other, but that ultimately they balance each other. Which was my reason for taking them all:

“I think the 4 vitamins nicely balance each other. So, higher doses of vitamin E could cause bleeding issues but that is inhibited by vitamin K. Higher doses of vitamin D could cause hypercalcemia but that is inhibited by vitamin A. Vitamin A can cause some toxicity but that is inhibited by vitamin E. I think vitamin K is probably the only one without side effects, but in order for it to work well it needs vitamin D and A.”

Regarding the sleep improvements D3 also improves my sleep but i wonder if its serotonin related? Serotonin is the hibernation hormone so raising it would encourage better sleep, make it easier to fall asleep and easier to stay asleep, but still cause issues also? One thing i heard is serotonin induced sleep isnt as restful as healthier sleep without the elevated serotonin? Im not sure if D3 raises serotonin but some sites claim it does.

Regarding the ratios and taking all 4 fat soluble vitamins, it’s impossible to get the ratio down properly, and those fat solubles dont just interact with each other they also interact with as you know all the electrolytes, and even b vitamins and different vitamins and minerals. I think someone posted on here, or maybe it was on acu-cell or another health website, it was mentioned that D3 raises calcium and sodium levels and depletes the other 3 electrolytes whereas A does the opposite. So A on its own can lower calcium supposedly which seems true.

I dont think the other 3 fat solubles are as safe as D3. D3 is the only one i can take safely and not notice side effects even with constant usage. Maybe that’s because of the dosage though, like even 5000IU is only 125mcg i believe? Whereas vitamin E, K2, the dosages are in milligrams and vitamin A i think is also in milligrams… I believe 900mcg vitamin A is 3000IU…

Vitamin A, K2, and E, all cause hair loss when supplemented. Very small doses close to the RDA are fine for E and K2, but these are lower than probably any supplement would offer. The rda for K is 100mcg or 120mcg I believe and they consider any form of K whether K1, MK4 or MK7 to count towards that rda. The rda for vitamin E is only 15mg i believe. For A, its 900mcg which is 3000IU. But i have found even 5000IU of vitamin A taken every other day will still cause hair loss. 1.5MK4 daily will cause hair loss. Vitamin E in the 200mg+ dosage used by products like thorne will cause hair loss.

The good news is K2 is in milkfat, and its in higher amounts in grass fed beef and milk fat. I believe it was 180mcg K2 per half gallon of whole grass fed milk. That is a good amount. Vitamin E you dont need as much of if youre doing low PUFA. I havent seen any low dose vitamin E products besides ironically, the sports research fish oil product. It actually has 1 gram fish oil per capsule but it has natural mixed tocopherols listed in the ingredients. They add vitamin E as a preservative or antioxidant for the fish oil. Im thinking its probably a low dose of vitamin E, maybe 15mg? I also am not sure if mixed tocopherols means all of them or all if them besides alpha tocopherols because I thought alpha tocopherol always had to be stated on the label.

A half gallon grassfed whole milk also provides roughly 3000IU vitamin A. It also provides vitamin D but i dont know how much. Didnt Ray or Danny Roddy or both say they only use vitamin D3 as a topical oil and its 10,000IU daily? Someone here stated topical absorption is 10%, so their 10,000IU topical D3 equates to a 1000IU oral dose. Even if thats not the case I would think 1000IU oral D3 is better and safer than going higher on that?

Mossy

Regarding the sleep improvements D3 also improves my sleep but i wonder if its serotonin related? Serotonin is the hibernation hormone so raising it would encourage better sleep, make it easier to fall asleep and easier to stay asleep, but still cause issues also? One thing i heard is serotonin induced sleep isnt as restful as healthier sleep without the elevated serotonin? Im not sure if D3 raises serotonin but some sites claim it does.

Regarding the ratios and taking all 4 fat soluble vitamins, it’s impossible to get the ratio down properly, and those fat solubles dont just interact with each other they also interact with as you know all the electrolytes, and even b vitamins and different vitamins and minerals. I think someone posted on here, or maybe it was on acu-cell or another health website, it was mentioned that D3 raises calcium and sodium levels and depletes the other 3 electrolytes whereas A does the opposite. So A on its own can lower calcium supposedly which seems true.

I dont think the other 3 fat solubles are as safe as D3. D3 is the only one i can take safely and not notice side effects even with constant usage. Maybe that’s because of the dosage though, like even 5000IU is only 125mcg i believe? Whereas vitamin E, K2, the dosages are in milligrams and vitamin A i think is also in milligrams… I believe 900mcg vitamin A is 3000IU…

Vitamin A, K2, and E, all cause hair loss when supplemented. Very small doses close to the RDA are fine for E and K2, but these are lower than probably any supplement would offer. The rda for K is 100mcg or 120mcg I believe and they consider any form of K whether K1, MK4 or MK7 to count towards that rda. The rda for vitamin E is only 15mg i believe. For A, its 900mcg which is 3000IU. But i have found even 5000IU of vitamin A taken every other day will still cause hair loss. 1.5MK4 daily will cause hair loss. Vitamin E in the 200mg+ dosage used by products like thorne will cause hair loss.

The good news is K2 is in milkfat, and its in higher amounts in grass fed beef and milk fat. I believe it was 180mcg K2 per half gallon of whole grass fed milk. That is a good amount. Vitamin E you dont need as much of if youre doing low PUFA. I havent seen any low dose vitamin E products besides ironically, the sports research fish oil product. It actually has 1 gram fish oil per capsule but it has natural mixed tocopherols listed in the ingredients. They add vitamin E as a preservative or antioxidant for the fish oil. Im thinking its probably a low dose of vitamin E, maybe 15mg? I also am not sure if mixed tocopherols means all of them or all if them besides alpha tocopherols because I thought alpha tocopherol always had to be stated on the label.

A half gallon grassfed whole milk also provides roughly 3000IU vitamin A. It also provides vitamin D but i dont know how much. Didnt Ray or Danny Roddy or both say they only use vitamin D3 as a topical oil and its 10,000IU daily? Someone here stated topical absorption is 10%, so their 10,000IU topical D3 equates to a 1000IU oral dose. Even if thats not the case I would think 1000IU oral D3 is better and safer than going higher on that?
A lot of information here. Thank you for sharing.

It's good that you do well on at least D3, for I don't do well on any of these fat solubles. I'm always attempting to find the magic ratio, which will allow me to take my immune system and overall health out of the dumpster. Your reference about D3 and A having opposite effects on calcium, sodium, and electrolytes may be of value if I can figure out a way to use it for the proper adjustments.

Are you saying you've experienced hair loss with those supplements you've mentioned or are you passing along other's perspectives and experiences?

DaveFoster

For the past few months I've been taking an oral vitamin D supplement, and I'm sleeping better than I have since I was a kid. Some nights I don't wake up to pee, which is really significant for me, because typically I get up at least twice.

I'm taking a 4000IU supplement on average three times a week. I had my blood level tested recently and it was hovering around 50ng/mL. I was pleased to see that the supplement is doing what it is supposed to do.

Just thought I'd record this here. If you're not sleeping well, vitamin D is something to consider.

Note: I'm not going to reveal the brand in case of any accusations of affiliation. Also, I live at a northerly latitude, so vitamin D supplementation is probably necessary for me at this time of year.
You should record this in the "Logs" section, and you should contact a moderator to change the section.

Dr. B

A lot of information here. Thank you for sharing.

It's good that you do well on at least D3, for I don't do well on any of these fat solubles. I'm always attempting to find the magic ratio, which will allow me to take my immune system and overall health out of the dumpster. Your reference about D3 and A having opposite effects on calcium, sodium, and electrolytes may be of value if I can figure out a way to use it for the proper adjustments.

Are you saying you've experienced hair loss with those supplements you've mentioned or are you passing along other's perspectives and experiences?

Yes i did experience hair loss if i used even 2mg K2 daily, or 5000IU vitamin A, or 200mg vitamin E. I could probably do fine taking those once a week or once every two weeks. The A dosage isnt even particularly big and i dont get the same effect from vitamin A from whole milk or from dessicated beef liver supplements like ancestrals. The E and K2 dosages would be big, basically 20x the rda level

Btw A causes acne and oily skin and oily scalp too. E also causes more acne and inflamed looking skin. K2 didn’t cause noticeable skin issues.

Mossy

Btw A causes acne and oily skin and oily scalp too. E also causes more acne and inflamed looking skin. K2 didn’t cause noticeable skin issues.
Maybe the pro-adrogen effect of A and E are causing the acne. I just read, and have experienced this myself, that vitamin A can be drying for some. It's tough to get the balance right, between being too oily or too dry.

Dr. B

Maybe the pro-adrogen effect of A and E are causing the acne. I just read, and have experienced this myself, that vitamin A can be drying for some. It's tough to get the balance right, between being too oily or too dry.

Yes im not sure. Do androgens cause more acne on the face and oilier skin? Not estrogen? Because CBD gives me acne too and policosanol decreases acne. Policosanol is maybe anti androgen due to being anti cholesterol?
Also E actually causes more issues getting hard if i take a big dose. I read on here that it’s very pro progesterone and thats also an effect from progesterone. Plus it also causes shrinkage down there at least in the soft state. Apparently its all temporary whether its from E or progesterone supplementation itself

Mossy

Yes im not sure. Do androgens cause more acne on the face and oilier skin? Not estrogen? Because CBD gives me acne too and policosanol decreases acne. Policosanol is maybe anti androgen due to being anti cholesterol?
Also E actually causes more issues getting hard if i take a big dose. I read on here that it’s very pro progesterone and thats also an effect from progesterone. Plus it also causes shrinkage down there at least in the soft state. Apparently its all temporary whether its from E or progesterone supplementation itself
I cannot offer any scientific explanation, but as an example puberty causes face acne for many, and I do recall when taking some pro-androgen supplements I could get some face acne; tough, it wasn't consistent, and it very well may just be an imbalance, where estrogen is actually causing the acne, where excess testosterone converts to estrogen.

Interesting that vitamin E would give you progesterone effects, as its my understanding and experience that its androgenic. But, maybe it creates an imbalance for you.

Dr. B

I cannot offer any scientific explanation, but as an example puberty causes face acne for many, and I do recall when taking some pro-androgen supplements I could get some face acne; tough, it wasn't consistent, and it very well may just be an imbalance, where estrogen is actually causing the acne, where excess testosterone converts to estrogen.

Interesting that vitamin E would give you progesterone effects, as its my understanding and experience that its androgenic. But, maybe it creates an imbalance for you.

Yes, in low doses i think it is anti estrogen (which progesterone also is). In higher doses it seems to cause the same effects of taking too much progesterone as a guy. Except the skin redness and irritation which someone said it could be because it raises choline levels somehow?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals