VItamin D Megadose accident, what to do

tastyfood

I thought the bottle dropper was in the vitamin D supplement, but it wasn't, so I dumped about a quarter of the Carlson vitamin D on my belly button by mistake. I reacted immediately, rubbed it off, and took a quick shower with a lot of soap to rub it off fully.

I know the vitamin topically takes hours to absorb, but is there anything I should do to prevent damage?

I'm upping my calcium for the rest of the day, and I had some liver before for lunch.

Thank you!

edit: typo

Last edited:

Inaut

If you wiped it off quickly I wouldn't stress over it too much. Just lay off the d for a week if you want.

Jman

The absorbtion through the skin is around 10% if you rub it in good and dont wash it off. So even if you thoroughly rubbed in 100,000 iu, you'd absorb only around 10,000.

Quelsatron

The one with 365 drops at 2000 IU? even if you absorbed the total 180000 IU which is not true you should be okay as long as you're not overloaded with vitamin D already, maybe just stay off the D for a few weeks if you're worried

Orome

Forum Supporter
I have already taken pharmaceutical vials with 200000 IU orally several times (with some weeks in between however) and never had any issues or side effects from the single very high dose. So I think you don't need to worry.

Momentum

I know plenty of people who have been doing this for decades and are fine. Absolutely staves off viruses if done at the first sign.