Vitamin D lamp?

Coderr

Can I get vitamin D with a lamp for reptiles?
595009154_0.jpg

Healthia

View attachment 21174
Yes but you’d have to lay under it for a very long time. Plus you don’t want those light rays entering your eyes. Not sure where you live but I have a medical grade vitamin d light machine for sale. It’s 6.5 feet tall and about 3.5 feet wide. I bought it from a retired doctor and was used in his office for psoriasis treatments. I used it when I was trying to quickly raise my Vitamin D levels. It did a great job. I went from 30 ng/pl to 91 ng/dl in about 30 days. When new the machine was approximately $2,000. I’m Selling it for $750. Lightbulbs still have 90% life left (the machine has an hour counter to let you know how many hours are on the bulbs). If you’re close to Virginia in the US and interested hit me up. BTW the bulbs you show in the pic are only 13watts. My machine is 600 watts. So you would need to lay in front of the 13 watt bulb about 45 times longer to get the same effect. I would use it for 2 minutes each side of my body. For you to get the same effect you would need to lay infront of a 13 watt bulbs for about 3-4 hours.

Last edited:
OP
C

Coderr

Bu lambanın spektrumunu biliyor musunuz? Düşük dalga boylu UVB, UBC veya çok fazla UVA'nın sağlıksız bir oranına sahip olabilir. Sürüngenler için UV Aydınlatma: Yüksek UVB çıkışlı floresan kompakt lambalar ve tüplerle ilgili yeni bir sorun mu?

REPTILE UVB100 PT2186 - 13W​

D

Deleted member 5487

Just Do What I do get in the lowest level tanning bed for 10minutes 2-3x a week. You'll know you've had enough once you start to get tan.

Solid 10k-15kUI of D per session. And your body regulates it if your getting to much you get tan! Win win.

UVB(plain)-Vitamin D- Burns if to much
UVA(Space ship looking tanning beds) penatrates deep and ages collagen.

Healthia

View attachment 21174
Don’t take advice about using tanning beds. Tanning beds use mostly UVA band (good for tanning but useless for vitamin d production). You want UVB narrow band or broadband. Downside to Narrow band: it takes much longer to get the same vitamin d production as broad band. Do your research. Don’t take my word or anyone else‘s word about the subject as gospel.

Dave Clark

For what it is worth. I am not making any judgments of the reptile lamps, per se, but I saw a video once where a guy took three different reptile lamps and put a UV meter up to them, and they showed little to nothing as far as UVB production. That changed my mind on building a lamp. I spent the money and went with the FDA tested Sperti-D lamp, that way I know I am getting proper UVB rays and D production. Just something to consider when buying the lamps, find bulbs that were tested to produce.

Happycat

I am looking at a UVB lamp that is marketed at treating psoriasis, they don't make any claim that it increases vit D levels, only that it treats psoriasis.

Details are below, what do you guys think, would it be the kind of lamp that's good for increasing vit D levels:

"A medically certified UVB Narrowband phototherapy lamp that is cost-effective and easy to operate for Professional, Clinic, Salon, or Home Use.

The lamp comes fitted with a Philips PL-S 9w/01/02p 311nm bulb which has been tested worldwide in over 400 clinical studies. "...etc etc

David PS

I am looking at a UVB lamp that is marketed at treating psoriasis, they don't make any claim that it increases vit D levels, only that it treats psoriasis.

Details are below, what do you guys think, would it be the kind of lamp that's good for increasing vit D levels:

"A medically certified UVB Narrowband phototherapy lamp that is cost-effective and easy to operate for Professional, Clinic, Salon, or Home Use.

The lamp comes fitted with a Philips PL-S 9w/01/02p 311nm bulb which has been tested worldwide in over 400 clinical studies. "...etc etc

It looks like it will work from from page 2 of the text in https://www.sperti.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/sperti.pdf
"Output spectrum of the Sperti D/UV-Fluorescent lamp (~280 to ~400 nm) overlaps with the wavelengths (260–315 nm) effective in producing vitamin D3 in the skin (1, 14, 15) (Fig. 1a)."

OP
C

Coderr

Is 1 bulb enough? Is it okay to use 2 side by side?
How many minutes should I use a day?

Happycat

Is 1 bulb enough? Is it okay to use 2 side by side?
How many minutes should I use a da
I don't know how long to use it for, the manufacturer will send user instructions with the purchase of the uvb lamp.

It looks like it will work from from page 2 of the text in https://www.sperti.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/sperti.pdf
"Output spectrum of the Sperti D/UV-Fluorescent lamp (~280 to ~400 nm) overlaps with the wavelengths (260–315 nm) effective in producing vitamin D3 in the skin (1, 14, 15) (Fig. 1a)."
Thank you ?

Healthia

I was looking into that machine. Good machine. For me it came down to not wanting to sit there for 20-30 minutes.

if it’s a UVB Bulb it will produce vitamin D. Do your research on narrow band UVB bulbs vs broadband UVB bulbs. There are pros and cons to each. In general broadband UVB bulbs allow greater vitamin d production at MUCH shorter skin exposure times and are priced a little less than narrow band bulbs. Narrow band UVB bulbs allow for less damage to the skin but greatly increased exposure times. There are other differences and it is extremely important to do your research. Example: I exposed myself for 4 minutes (front and back) on Day 1 of purchasing my UVB light machine (mine has six 5 foot bulbs). Got a horrible sunburn. Second thing: YOU MUST WEAR EYE PROTECTION OR YOU WILL BURN YOUR EYEBALLS!!!!!!!!!!

OP
C

Coderr

I was looking into that machine. Good machine. For me it came down to not wanting to sit there for 20-30 minutes.

if it’s a UVB Bulb it will produce vitamin D. Do your research on narrow band UVB bulbs vs broadband UVB bulbs. There are pros and cons to each. In general broadband UVB bulbs allow greater vitamin d production at MUCH shorter skin exposure times and are priced a little less than narrow band bulbs. Narrow band UVB bulbs allow for less damage to the skin but greatly increased exposure times. There are other differences and it is extremely important to do your research. Example: I exposed myself for 4 minutes (front and back) on Day 1 of purchasing my UVB light machine (mine has six 5 foot bulbs). Got a horrible sunburn. Second thing: YOU MUST WEAR EYE PROTECTION OR YOU WILL BURN YOUR EYEBALLS!!!!!!!!!!
How many watts of your bulb? I found 20 watt and 9 watt narrowband products from Philips? I don't know exactly how many watts to use

Healthia

How many watts of your bulb? I found 20 watt and 9 watt narrowband products from Philips? I don't know exactly how many watts
Each of my six bulbs are 100 watts (so 600 watts total). The problem with the low watt bulbs you are listing is that you will have to stand infront of them for a while. Pretty much any question you might have you can find here: Vitamin D from low-cost UVB lamps | VitaminDWiki

poke around on that website and visit some of the other pages. I did about 80% of my research on that website prior to purchasing.

LeeLemonoil

@Healthia

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and resources here on the topic. Which interests me as well. Very helpful.

I’m pondering buying ready-made facial treatment machines or entire beds with combination of redlight and uv-b for both tanning and D-production (latter) and cellular energy benefits of the former but the manufacturers fail to provide all specs despite requests. That forbids investing more than 3500usd for the bed to me.
Maybe I’ll finally go about building and combining red, near infrared and uvb devices myself

Healthia

@Healthia

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and resources here on the topic. Which interests me as well. Very helpful.

I’m pondering buying ready-made facial treatment machines or entire beds with combination of redlight and uv-b for both tanning and D-production (latter) and cellular energy benefits of the former but the manufacturers fail to provide all specs despite requests. That forbids investing more than 3500usd for the bed to me.
Maybe I’ll finally go about building and combining red, near infrared and uvb devices myself
You won’t get tan at all from UVB Narrowband. Nor will you get anything noticeable from UVB Broadband bulbs. When purchasing bulbs, most will have a graph showing how much of each Light band is mixed in with each bulb. You may have to request the graph. But in general terms you won’t get a tan from UVB light bulbs.

Healthia

If this is the Sperti light box then just use these search terms on google: “Sperti study vitamin D“. When I was researching various light boxes I remember reading the entire study. Don’t quote me but I think I remember that the Vitamin d outcome for participants in the study was based on 20 minutes of exposure on either: arms only, legs only, and torso only. I don’t remember if the light exposure was daily, weekly, or what, but the study lists all those parameters. I also seem to remember that In the study there was a build up of time leading up to the 20 minutes of UVB exposure time based on The Fitzpatrick skin type Model and that darker skin people had to expose themselves for longer amounts of time to achieve the same vitamin d levels that lighter skin people could produce at shorter exposure. Like I said earlier, really do your research on exposing yourself to UVB and pay particular attention to Safety information. you can do Real damage to yourself If you don’t take proper Eye safety precautions and understand UVB exposure time, Fitzpatrick skin types, and time needed to build up the amount of exposure time. Two other things: 6mg of Boron per day has shown to spare vitamin D. In other words you will build up your stores of vitamin d quicker if taking this supplement. In studies it was shown that in order for someone just to maintain their present vitamin d levels approximately 4,000-5,000 iu of oral vitamin D must be taken daily. The 4,000-5,000 iu is pretty broad because the exact dosage depends on age, body weight, gender, obesity. Finally research co-factors to vitamin d (which can be found on Vitamin D Cofactors in a nutshell | VitaminDWiki). The cofactors are VERY important. If you have too much vitamin d and not enough of the cofactors you can do some damage to yourself. I found this out the hard way. Good luck :):

Last edited:

Happycat

@Healthia - it is not the Sperti lamp, it is a UVB lamp for treating psoriasis, from a uk based website (they also sell red light lamps, I bought mine from them).

RealNeat

I think @Dan Wich did a pretty thorough analysis here of these reptile bulbs and other uvb products Vitamin D (UVB) experiment and lamp comparison - Toxinless

I have used a sperti for a couple years, have not verified whether it has worked or not, I haven't been sick however if that has any validity.

I have weird reactions to supplemental vitamin D, even transdermal. From my research I'm starting to think I'm mildly allergic to lanolin or wool. I get the same symptoms one would if that were the case, if anyone else has similar congestion or allergy like symptoms shortly after taking vitamin D, let me know.

Dave Clark

I have a Sperti-D lamp. My wife's doctor had her on these 50K vitamin d scripts, when she got tested a few weeks later, her storage levels were only up a tiny bit. I convinced her to stop them and use the lamp twice daily and then get tested a few weeks later. Surprisingly, her levels went from 'deficient' range to 'sufficient' range. I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but it was about 10 points from what it was. So, I believe the lamps do what they say, and I am of the camp that oral D has its problems. I believe that vitamin/hormone D is complex and that these storage level tests do not tell the whole story.