Vitamin D lamp?

RealNeat

I have a Sperti-D lamp. My wife's doctor had her on these 50K vitamin d scripts, when she got tested a few weeks later, her storage levels were only up a tiny bit. I convinced her to stop them and use the lamp twice daily and then get tested a few weeks later. Surprisingly, her levels went from 'deficient' range to 'sufficient' range. I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but it was about 10 points from what it was. So, I believe the lamps do what they say, and I am of the camp that oral D has its problems. I believe that vitamin/hormone D is complex and that these storage level tests do not tell the whole story.
By twice daily do you mean maximum time sessions? How long were the sessions, also how much does she weigh?

Was she taking 50k a day or week?

Dave Clark

By twice daily do you mean maximum time sessions? How long were the sessions, also how much does she weigh?

Was she taking 50k a day or week?
She took the D script everyday for two weeks, and then three times/week for 6 months {she corrected me on that}. She was about 200 lbs, and five foot two inches. She now is down to her proper weight of 130 lbs. Interestingly, I got her to stop the blood pressure meds they had her on, because I had read that one of them caused insulin resistance, and low and behold, the weight started dropping {the other one was correlated to increase risk of skin cancer}. So, her weight was a cause of high blood pressure, yet the BP meds were keeping the weight on, an engineer's dream.
The Sperti sessions are the five minute sessions that are on the timer. She did one in the AM and one in the PM.
Before anyone says that the D scripts are D2 and not as good, she also tried 10 K/day of D3 and it did not work as good as the lamp. Now these are just her results, and that may not happen for everyone, but it showed me that the lamps do work, as the studies have show for the approval process.

Doc Sandoz

I have a Sperti-D lamp. My wife's doctor had her on these 50K vitamin d scripts, when she got tested a few weeks later, her storage levels were only up a tiny bit. I convinced her to stop them and use the lamp twice daily and then get tested a few weeks later. Surprisingly, her levels went from 'deficient' range to 'sufficient' range. I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but it was about 10 points from what it was. So, I believe the lamps do what they say, and I am of the camp that oral D has its problems. I believe that vitamin/hormone D is complex and that these storage level tests do not tell the whole story.
I'm very happy to know this. I have a bad reaction to even small amounts of Vit D supps. I bought a Sperti last December and could even feel its enlivening effect at first. Used it until the sun was sufficiently high and warm in our northern latitudes to get my D that way. This spring and summer, I've made a point of soaking up rays every day the sun has been out. Now it's close to time to return to the Sperti. Will use to keep topping off my stored D from the summer. Vit D is so very important, it's good to know the lamp indeed works.

RealNeat

I'm very happy to know this. I have a bad reaction to even small amounts of Vit D supps. I bought a Sperti last December and could even feel its enlivening effect at first. Used it until the sun was sufficiently high and warm in our northern latitudes to get my D that way. This spring and summer, I've made a point of soaking up rays every day the sun has been out. Now it's close to time to return to the Sperti. Will use to keep topping off my stored D from the summer. Vit D is so very important, it's good to know the lamp indeed works.
whats your uvb routine?

Doc Sandoz

I have between Fitzpatrick Type III and IV skin and try to spend 1/2 hour in the sun every day during high summer wearing just shorts. Earlier and later in the season, I spend more time, 45 minutes or so. Of course, some days rain or heavy clouds; no sun then, so often did 5 minutes Sperti. Got a very light tan with this amount of exposure, no lasting redness or burn. Five months of the year it's too cold out, so Sperti time. I had been using it last winter on different areas of skin 5 minutes every other day. This fall and winter I plan to use it everyday, 5 minutes per day.

Sefton10

I use a Sperti from this time of year until March/April too. 5 mins every other day or so alternating front and back, upper and lower body followed by red light each time. Haven't ever measured D levels though.

Doc Sandoz

I use a Sperti from this time of year until March/April too. 5 mins every other day or so alternating front and back, upper and lower body followed by red light each time. Haven't ever measured D levels though.
Interesting, I don't know my levels either. Why do you follow with the red light

Happycat

I am looking at a UVB lamp that is marketed at treating psoriasis, they don't make any claim that it increases vit D levels, only that it treats psoriasis.

Details are below, what do you guys think, would it be the kind of lamp that's good for increasing vit D levels:

"A medically certified UVB Narrowband phototherapy lamp that is cost-effective and easy to operate for Professional, Clinic, Salon, or Home Use.

The lamp comes fitted with a Philips PL-S 9w/01/02p 311nm bulb which has been tested worldwide in over 400 clinical studies. "...etc etc
So I gave up on the lamp I was talking about in my prevoius post. I emailed the company with some questions and they never replied to my email.

I have found another tanning lamp on a UK website, I can't find any technical info on their website, I wonder if it's any good? Very cheap compared to Sperti.