Vitamin D - Irritable And Very Bad Mood

Mr Rossi

I tried a lot of different Vitamin D supplements. At least Life Extensions Vitamin D3 drops 2000IU.
I always get very bad mood and trouble with my girlfriend:nurse:
I tried different doses, brands and forms. Always the same reaction.

My doctor said it is a initial worsening and I must take it because of my low Vitamin D level (25 ng/l).
Last year I took Vit D for about 3 months and the symptoms did not go away.:bomb:
Because of my relationship I stopped the intake.

Any advices to fix that issue?

milk_lover

I remember there was a study that says vitamin D supplementation increases serotonin in the brain, that may explain your bad mood. High Prolactin and high PTH may increase the conversion of D3 to the active form of vitamin D in the kidneys, and the conversion uses up magnesium. There is an inverse relation between the inactive form (D3--the one being measured usually in the lab, the one that you want to be in a good range) and the active form, so you may want to tackle the things (prolactin, PTH) that increase the conversion by, for example, vitamin A and dietary calcium, and if the conversion occurs in a fast pace, you want to replete your magnesium stores. There is a study posted few days ago by haidut (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786) that talks about the relationship between magnesium and depression. It mentioned irritability was also benefitted from magnesium.

"...Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime. Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented."

Also remember the fat-soluble vitamins need to be balanced. Maybe vitamin D increases calcium absorption and without vitamin K2 for example, the soft tissues might get calcified.

OP
Mr Rossi

Mr Rossi

Hi milk_lover,

thanks a lot for your support. Great stuff.
I started a new try with vitamin D 2000IU (LEF drops) together with vitamin A 14.400IU (Retinil) this noon.
I rubbed it on the arm. Not orally as always. My mood is not so bad as it should be.:D
We'll see how it goes.;)
When my mood is getting worse again I'll try magnesium.

very important to get vit k2 along with your D
I took Vitamin K (Super K LEF) 1 - 3 softgels daily since some time.
Thanks.

OP
Mr Rossi

Mr Rossi

I stopped Vitamin D intake after 3 days.
My modd is fairly acceptable with 2000IU but I am very very bloated.
Last year I got the same symptom.

Stilgar

You may not need to take Vitamin D. There is good information regarding other vitamin statuses affecting 25-OH D levels. I'm thinking specifically the b vitamins, especially b6 and riboflavin. Presumably there is a protective role in lowering vitamin D, or it may be maladaptive. Get more of those and your serum D may climb steadily back in range.

OP
Mr Rossi

Mr Rossi

Do you take it orally or transdermally?
transdermally. I rubbed 1 drop with 2000iu/day on the arm.

You may not need to take Vitamin D.
Thanks. I think you are right.;) I will try B2 and B6.

Recently I spoke with a friend of mine. He complains for some time about depressive moods. He also takes vitamin D and said that vitamin D actually is recommended for these symptoms . Maybe his mood is also affected by vitamin D. :rolleyes:

Pet Peeve

D3 is extracted from lanolin i.e. sheeps wool. Could be allergy. You can get d extracted from fish and also d2 which is made from mushrooms. Have you tried d2?

japanesedude

I take 6000IU D3 everyday. It always makes me sleepy and gives me irritable mood with breathlessness. both oral and topical route does it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals