Vitamin D intake guidelines underestimated by a factor of 10

jyb

An hour in the UK sun each day (with t-shirt) for a few days (it was not sunny before) got me 110 ng/ml on a recent vitamin D blood test. White skin, no supplement.

Tom

jyb said:
An hour in the UK sun each day (with t-shirt) for a few days (it was not sunny before) got me 110 ng/ml on a recent vitamin D blood test. White skin, no supplement.

Interesting. I assume you eat little or no starch, and good amounts of sugars? Perhaps this is a reason for the high vitamin D levels?

Did some more reading on the dog foods, and it seems they are no longer so high in meat and bones as in the past, and now often looks like this:

GROUND WHOLE GRAIN CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL (SOURCE OF CALCIUM), CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (SOURCE OF OMEGA 6 [PRESERVED WITH BHA & CITRIC ACID]), SOYBEAN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVOR (SOURCE OF MEATIER FLAVOR), CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, DRIED PLAIN BEET PULP, GROUND WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SALT, BREWERS RICE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DRIED PEAS, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, ZINC SULFATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, NIACIN [VITAMIN B3], BIOTIN, DRIED CARROTS, BHA & CITRIC ACID (A PRESERVATIVE), BLUE 2, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN B5], RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], RED 40, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT

http://www.pedigree.com/really-good-foo ... -dogs.aspx

So, maybe all the grains they are eating explains the lower vitamin D levels sometimes of dogs, despite given supplemental vitamin D. Dogs cannot make much vitamin D from sunshine and I don´t think they obtain all that much in nature, say 200 IU/day/2000 kcal. Maybe if they were given 2000 IU supplemental D3 per day some of the diseases will disappear on the abovementioned diet. Same for humans.

jyb

Tom said:
jyb said:

Interesting. I assume you eat little or no starch, and good amounts of sugars? Perhaps this is a reason for the high vitamin D levels?

Never any starch, and sugar from milk mostly.

The vit D reflects the fact I walked in the sun (with clothes) while it was sunny. My usual complexion is white/very white, and this summer I developed a slight tan, I'd say my skin looks better than years ago when I could get burnt unlike now. I read inflammation prevents even white skin produce good vitamin D. I don't know if that's true, but that's why I made the test - to check there wasn't anything too obviously wrong. White skin + a bit of summer sun = should normally result in high blood vitamin D.

tara

Tom said:
Could it not be that there are certain anti-nutrients in grains (and seeds) that are designed to interfere with vitamin D and thus indirectly make whover eats them sick, short statured and be evolutionary unfit compared to those that do not eat these grains. This would be a very efficient trick from the point of the plant.

I'm mostly enjoying eating a lot less grains than I used to, and I'm not suggesting everyone should eat lots of grains if they have better things to eat, and I have nothing against your grain-vit-D hypothesis (I don't know enough to have an opinion on it).

From the point of view of continuing and spreading genes, persuading humans to value, selectively breed, and cultivate the seeds seems to be pretty effective. :) That's how all/most modern grain has come to be, right?

TheHound

haidut said:
post 73986 and in some cases they may even need a short-term course of high dose vitamin K2 (MK-4) only to get some calcification reversed.

about how long is a "short term" course of high dose k2 to reverse calcification? and I assume you mean 15mg +?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
TheHound said:
post 109307
haidut said:
post 73986 and in some cases they may even need a short-term course of high dose vitamin K2 (MK-4) only to get some calcification reversed.

about how long is a "short term" course of high dose k2 to reverse calcification? and I assume you mean 15mg +?

The animal studies I have seen lasted 2-4 weeks and used a human equivalent dose of 1mg/kg. So, a bit more than 15mg daily.

TheHound

haidut said:
post 109374
TheHound said:
post 109307
haidut said:

The animal studies I have seen lasted 2-4 weeks and used a human equivalent dose of 1mg/kg. So, a bit more than 15mg daily.

whoa. so if I'm 75kg I'd need a dosage of 75mg a day? that seems like a lot

TheHound said:

hmm, let's see:

Human equivalent is 1mg/kg. So if you're 75kg, that's 1mg multiplied by 75 which gives 75mg of K2.

Good day.

TheHound

cantstoppeating said:
TheHound said:

hmm, let's see:

Human equivalent is 1mg/kg. So if you're 75kg, that's 1mg multiplied by 75 which gives 75mg of K2.

Good day.

lol. I was only wondering if that was true because it seems like a lot. thats an entire bottle of thorne in about 2 weeks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
TheHound said:
post 109419
cantstoppeating said:
TheHound said:

hmm, let's see:

Good day.

lol. I was only wondering if that was true because it seems like a lot. thats an entire bottle of thorne in about 2 weeks

Yes, but you only need it for 2 weeks and then it's done. Also, lower doses for longer periods may achieve the same even though it has not been studied much.

narouz

TheHound said:
I was only wondering if that was true because it seems like a lot. thats an entire bottle of thorne in about 2 weeks

Yes, it may seem a very large dose to the likes of you and me, hound.
And I am ashamed to admit I understand your wondering about it.
Nevertheless, it must be said that
we well-deserve--
indeed we demand!--
to be b****-slapped silly for our our drooling idiocy.

And that is how cantstoppeating improves us. :hattip

TheHound

haidut said:
post 109422 Yes, but you only need it for 2 weeks and then it's done. Also, lower doses for longer periods may achieve the same even though it has not been studied much.

interesting. I was taking 12mg of cyproheptadine a day for almost two weeks and i read the study you posted saying that a human equivalent dosage of 12mg of cypro a day in rats prevented and reversed calcification in only 4 days. do you think it would still be necessary for one to do the 1mg/kg of k2 after this?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
TheHound said:
post 109455
haidut said:
post 109422 Yes, but you only need it for 2 weeks and then it's done. Also, lower doses for longer periods may achieve the same even though it has not been studied much.

interesting. I was taking 12mg of cyproheptadine a day for almost two weeks and i read the study you posted saying that a human equivalent dosage of 12mg of cypro a day in rats prevented and reversed calcification in only 4 days. do you think it would still be necessary for one to do the 1mg/kg of k2 after this?

There are tests for arterial calcification that use ultrasound. You can ask your doctor for one and use cypro vitamin K accordingly. How do you even know you need cypro and/or vitamin K2?

RealNeat

I posted a study showing people with the highest and lowest levels of vitamin D had the highest mortality. The lowest mortality was in the 35-45 range.
Since vitamin K and E may block each other's absorption I typically take no more than 200 IU of vitamin E together with my vitamin K.
If you feel fine and the vitamin D levels come back up then you probably don't need the calcitriol test, but ask your doctor anyways.
My last 25D levels were 101... any idea what could cause this with almost non existent supplementation? Just for context my lipids are all very high, only HDL in "normal" range.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals