Vitamin D Inhibits Serotonin Reuptake [SERT], Inhibits Serotonin Degradation [MAO], And Increases Se

postman

Vitamin D supplementation makes me nervous, might be the serotonin then I guess.

BigChad

I feel HORRENDOUS on 1000-7000 IU of Vitamin D. Blunts stimulants, makes me feel like ***t. No idea why. I thought it was magnesium related... nope. I thought it was Vitamin K2.... Nope.

So annoying.

What happened mate. Why

TeslaFan

Vitamin D... just let your body make it, from cholesterol, when it needs it, just like it does with other hormones.

Frankdee20

Vitamin D makes me feel great, like it makes me feel normal as far as affect, and mood goes. Then again, I have tested 22 and 29 the last few times.

Cirion

Vitamin D is one of those tricky substances. I got my VD levels to sub-toxic levels and didn't feel any difference positive or negative. Getting sunlight, on the other hand...

Everyone wants to reduce things to a pill format but you can't turn the sun into a pill imo lol. I would absolutely believe that getting sunlight lowers serotonin.

baccheion

How does it affect dopamine levels?

I feel HORRENDOUS on 1000-7000 IU of Vitamin D. Blunts stimulants, makes me feel like ***t. No idea why. I thought it was magnesium related... nope. I thought it was Vitamin K2.... Nope.

So annoying.

Ever had labs run to see if you have any other deficiencies? How much vitamin K2 and magnesium did you take?

BigChad

How does it affect dopamine levels?

Ever had labs run to see if you have any other deficiencies? How much vitamin K2 and magnesium did you take?

riboflavin is really needed in high amounts with vitamin d3? i hope thats not necessary.
vitamin d does lower phosphorus, magnesium and potassium but if you are eating 1:1 phosphorus calcium that should be a good thing, magnesium you can supplement, potassium you can make sure you are getting enough via coconut water etc, and dont go overboard on salt maybe consume lower sodium since the D would encourage sodium retention with potassium loss?
i read somewhere the vitamin A actually helps bring the phosphorus, potassium magnesium back up and balances the D... but I would imagine D is especially more useful on a diet where your phosphorus and calcium are closer to each other whereas if your dietary calcium is 2x the amount of phosphorus then perhaps you would be fine consuming vitamin A and D in a 1:1 ratio whereas if calcium/phosphorus in diet is 1:1 then maybe vitamin D should be 2x the amount of vitaminA in IU

baccheion

riboflavin is really needed in high amounts with vitamin d3? i hope thats not necessary.
vitamin d does lower phosphorus, magnesium and potassium but if you are eating 1:1 phosphorus calcium that should be a good thing, magnesium you can supplement, potassium you can make sure you are getting enough via coconut water etc, and dont go overboard on salt maybe consume lower sodium since the D would encourage sodium retention with potassium loss?
i read somewhere the vitamin A actually helps bring the phosphorus, potassium magnesium back up and balances the D... but I would imagine D is especially more useful on a diet where your phosphorus and calcium are closer to each other whereas if your dietary calcium is 2x the amount of phosphorus then perhaps you would be fine consuming vitamin A and D in a 1:1 ratio whereas if calcium/phosphorus in diet is 1:1 then maybe vitamin D should be 2x the amount of vitaminA in IU
Where did I say anything about riboflavin? Vitamin D depletes or opposes vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, zinc, and magnesium (which indirectly affects potassium, etc).

BigChad

Where did I say anything about riboflavin? Vitamin D depletes or opposes vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, zinc, and magnesium (which indirectly affects potassium, etc).

Yes riboflavin is b2. How does vitamin D deplete/oppose zinc?
and the thing we know is that vitamin A, at least brings the phosphorus, mag and potassium back up, perhaps it would bring back up some of the B vitamins as well?
the other question is what impacts the vitamins E (mixed tocopherols), and K1, MK4, and MK7 would have on your mineral and vitamin balance... ive seen it mentioned on here vitamin E lowers sodium, K lowers calcium, not sure what else they would do

baccheion

Yes riboflavin is b2. How does vitamin D deplete/oppose zinc?
and the thing we know is that vitamin A, at least brings the phosphorus, mag and potassium back up, perhaps it would bring back up some of the B vitamins as well?
the other question is what impacts the vitamins E (mixed tocopherols), and K1, MK4, and MK7 would have on your mineral and vitamin balance... ive seen it mentioned on here vitamin E lowers sodium, K lowers calcium, not sure what else they would do
I'm aware riboflavin is B2. Where did I say anything above about riboflavin? Zinc is at least part of the VDR. Maybe vitamin A increases phosphorus via osteoclast activity? I suppose it could also increase absorption from the intestines?

Calcium is kept dissolved by magnesium indirectly. Potassium is what's responsible and is kept sufficient by magnesium.

Unsure about effect of E and Ks on mineral levels.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1990/pdf/1990-v05n01-p011.pdf

Last edited:

BigChad

I'm aware riboflavin is B2. Where did I say anything above about riboflavin? Zinc is at least part of the VDR. Maybe vitamin A increases phosphorus via osteoclast activity? I suppose it could also increase absorption from the intestines?

Calcium is kept dissolved by magnesium indirectly. Potassium is what's responsible and is kept sufficient by magnesium.

Unsure about effect of E and Ks on mineral levels.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1990/pdf/1990-v05n01-p011.pdf

Yes you did not I was just wondering regarding previous b2 comments.
What do you mean by calcium kept dissolved by magnesium indirectly? and potassium is whats responsible?

Giraffe

In the study linked in the original post calcitriol [1,25(OH)2] was added to a culture dish. There are prescription drugs that contain calcitriol as active ingredient, but it is cholecalciferol [D3] what we find in over the counter supplements and what is made in the skin.

D3 is converted in the liver to calcidiol [25(OH)D]. In a second step cells convert calcidiol to calcitriol. This second step is tightly regulated by the body.

Supplementing D3 does not result in higher calcitriol levels (unless you have been severely lacking vitamin D).

See this thread: Levels Of Vitamin-D Metabolites After Supplementation And After UV Radiation
or this Letter to the Editor: “Calcitriol” Is Not Synonymous with “Vitamin D”

rei

Seems like they managed to get a stress response going in the study. No wonder since they did not use D3 but 1,25oh. Anybody know what is a normal 1,25 concentration in a normal environment in the body and how it compares to the concentrations used in the study?

japanesedude

So annoying.

I feel terrible when I take vit D orally but I have no problem with topically applied VitD