Vitamin D improves ovarian reserves in women with infertility

haidut

Forum Supporter
Diminished ovarian reserves are one of the major causes of female infertility. It used to be a problem mostly in women over 45 who were trying to get pregnant, however, it has now become a common finding even in 30+ year-old females. Estrogen is known to play a big role, and some studies have demonstrated beneficial effects of aromatase inhibitors. More recent studies have also demonstrated robust benefit from DHEA supplementation, and some fertility centers now use DHEA as part of their treatment protocols for women. Unfortunately, often the doses used are way too high and end up elevating estrogen, so that the net benefit is either minor or entirely absent. The study below offers one alternative to DHEA that is probably less risky. It demonstrated that weekly supplementation with 50,000 IU vitamin D increased ovarian reserves and increased pregnancy rates. A quick look at the results suggests the improvement was similar in magnitude to the one observed with DHEA, but obviously without the risk of raising estrogen. As such, I don't see why a combination of vitamin D and DHEA would not be synergistic, especially considering that vitamin D is a steroid with anti-estrogenic effects and is known to synergize with other steroids, especially androgens such as DHEA.

Does vitamin D supplementation improve ovarian reserve in women with diminished ovarian reserve and vitamin D deficiency: a before-and-after intervention study - BMC Endocrine Disorders
Does vitamin D supplementation improve ovarian reserve in women with diminished ovarian reserve and vitamin D deficiency: A before-and-after intervention study | MDLinx

"...Researchers conducted the study for analyzing the effect of vitamin D supplementation on ovarian reserve in women with diminished ovarian reserve and vitamin D deficiency. The study is a before-and-after intervention study on women with a diminished ovarian reserve who were referred to the Shahid Mofteh Clinic in Yasuj, Iran. Eligible women were given vitamin D tablets at a weekly dose of 50,000 units for up to 3 months. At the end of 3 months, serum levels of vitamin D and anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) were assessed. The current study's findings support a possible beneficial effect of vitamin D on increasing AMH expression by acting on the AMH gene promoter. As a result, vitamin D may raise AMH levels without affecting antral follicle count/ovarian reserve."

Last edited:
K

Kaur Singh

Good timing!

Would you know approaches to address early onset peri-menopause
(as in a good decade or decade and a half early)
asides from the general advise for restoring mitochondrial and thyroid function?

is there something specific that may bring benefit?
(I'm working on D already)

I ran an antimullerian hormone test two years ago
and was quite quite low, almost zero.

If anything, I find that I need higher doses of progesterone.

Koko

Hi there :) !
I'm a 29 year old women struggling with infertility for 5 years. My way back to fertility has been a long road of struggles and trials but I'm coming from far. I've tried many things including progesterone (ovulation to end of cycle), thyroid, and niacinamide, Everything had produced satisfactory results until this study.

In June 2022, labs showed VitD of 25 ng/m and AMH of 0.51 ng/ml, I know ray peat doesn't believe it's an actual factor but the way I understood my result was that my ovaries didn't have enough energy to produce good quality eggs.
I looked at haidut.me and found this research. I wasn't able to get my hands on VitD injections so I tried taking 7000 units of VitD everyday for 3 months. To that, I added 35 to 50 drops of cardenosine daily and a homemade solution of niacinamide and riboflavin to be taken 3 times during the day.
I just got my results back, VitD is at 69 ng/ml and AMH is at 3.57 ng/ml

I never expected such fantastic results !!! I'm very happy, it gives hope and shows progression, it's all I can hope for.
Thank you Georgi for putting interesting studies out there and producing such quality products. For someone like me that lives in Canada and has a restricted access to doctors and medication, it's a life changer. If you have an other advice or studies that can help, please share :)

May we all have only good news to share,
Karine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals