Vitamin D - Don‘t Guess, But Test!

youngsinatra

Hey everyone.

Just got my vitamin D levels checked. Took 8000 IU D3 with K2, A and magnesium for 3 months or so.

My blood test result: 32ng/ml.
I took 5k IU daily for almost 2 years.

I suspect that due to past EBV infection my vitamin D sensitivity might be worse.
Now doing a vitamin D protocol by a german physician and researcher.

I‘ll take 30K IU D3, 400mcg K2 and 400mg elemental magnesium from Mg-glycinate.
Additionally I also take 30K IU Retinol.
This should be done for 14 days and then go to maintenance dose of 8000 IU D3 to hold my levels at 75ng/ml.

Will do a re-test and update you guys.
I am told to keep calcium intake a bit lower while doing the initial high dose therapy.

gaze

If I were you I would cut out the retinol and just eat liver. I think Ray said sometimes people who cant get their vitamin D up eat liver and it finally goes up.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone.

Just got my vitamin D levels checked. Took 8000 IU D3 with K2, A and magnesium for 3 months or so.

I suspect that due to past EBV infection my vitamin D sensitivity might be worse.

This should be done for 14 days and then go to maintenance dose of 8000 IU D3 to hold my levels at 75ng/ml.

I am told to keep calcium intake a bit lower while doing the initial high dose therapy.
I'd say that if you test only 25-OHD3, then you're still guessing. What's your TSH, PTH, prolactin, serum calcium and 1,25OHD3? Then it's much less of a guess.

Quelsatron

The vitaminDwiki had some article on vitamin A saying it stops you from raising your blood levels. Now, I got my levels up in a month eating like a kilo of liver, but maybe there's some factor with pure vitamin A, although I suspect it's maybe something to do with cell/blood distribution and the two vitamins synergy, or maybe it will block uptake if you take both at the same time, which I think I read somewhere here.
I'd say that if you test only 25-OHD3, then you're still guessing. What's your TSH, PTH, prolactin, serum calcium and 1,25OHD3? Then it's much less of a guess.
for overall health that might be the truest picture, but I think you should still be able to get your blood levels up to 40-50 ng no matter what.

Andman

Hey everyone.

was it 8000 IU oral or transdermal?

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Yes at the moment my doctor does not see any reason why I‘d want to test all this because I look pretty healthy and I am still young.

Just tested 25(OH)D3 by an external lab because of personal financial shortage as a student.

Next time I will at least get PTH and serum calcium done with it.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone.

Thanks for sharing. Will check mine.

Gypsumking

Hans could you briefly explain how 25-ohd3 on its own is no use and how you would incorporate and interpret the others to get a better understanding if you can?

Nomane Euger

Hans could you briefly explain how 25-ohd3 on its own is no use and how you would incorporate and interpret the others to get a better understanding if you can?
As an anecdote,I had my 25 OHD at 40 and at the same time my pth and my active vitamine d was sky high and I was having calcium deficiency symptoms

Nomane Euger

Interesting what were the symptoms and did you get your seum calcium tested?
5months to heal fully a skin wound,anything that I ate drinkwith calcium gave me the following,woke me up a lot through the night ,very sensitive to noices. Low libido,a lot of mental « chattering »,cavities ,sensitives bones,constipation when I ate any calcium.guesstimating.

As an anecdote,I had my 25 OHD at 40 and at the same time my pth and my active vitamine d was sky high and I was having calcium deficiency symptoms
Were you eating enough calcium at the time?

Nomane Euger

Hans

Forum Supporter
It's not a bad marker, but if it's consistently low, you'd want to check your prolactin, PTH and 1,25OHD3, as the vitamin D is most likely converting into its active form. If serum calcium is also high, then it can show that most of the calcium is coming from your body and the prolactin is high.

Belsazar

Did you stop supplements before testing?
My levels shot up from 20ng/ml to 50ng/ml by taking 2x initial dose of 30.000IU followed by 8000IU for 20 days. (Stopped 4days prior testing)
Testing is really important, since we all react differently.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Did you stop supplements before testing?
My levels shot up from 20ng/ml to 50ng/ml by taking 2x initial dose of 30.000IU followed by 8000IU for 20 days. (Stopped 4days prior testing)
Testing is really important, since we all react differently.
Yes I did stop for 5 days before the test.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Calcium intake is almost always 1.5 - 2g a day with the same amount of phosphate.
So I don‘t think that my PTH is elevated.

Now I am consuming only 1g because of the high dose D3.

Thanks for the comments on vitamin A. I just ate 2oz of beef liver today instead of the retinol supplement.