Vitamin D Deficiency : Real or Hype?

DMF

I was told I need 30,000 units of vitamin D, every two weeks, based on blood work. This amount sounds/seems so toxic if not lethal. Is it possible the cause may be remedied through something else - endochronological intervention/explanation? I get alot of sun and eat lots of foods rich in D. My health isn't all that great, feel lousy.

kiran

DMF said:
I was told I need 30,000 units of vitamin D, every two weeks, based on blood work. This amount sounds/seems so toxic if not lethal. Is it possible the cause may be remedied through something else - endochronological intervention/explanation? I get alot of sun and eat lots of foods rich in D. My health isn't all that great, feel lousy.

That's approximately 2,000 units per day, a very reasonable dosage. I wouldn't worry too much about taking it.

To put it into perspective, both my parents take 60,000 units every so often, and I just took 60,000 units this morning.

Another caveat: If you're very sensitive to vit D like I used to be (probably due to elevated PTH increasing conversion to 1,25 Hydroxy D, which in turn increases serum calcium), you may be better off taking smaller doses.

pboy

this is one that's so hard to judge...because even if you analyze breastmilk content of vitamin D, or various people...theres no telling exactly what is optimum...because we don't know for sure how much vitamin D the baby, or adult, is supposed to come from sunlight. I'd venture to say anything that seems absurdly high is unnecessary, but maybe a moderate amount could be beneficial. I tend to get sun here and there throughout the year...and even when I was a vegan and not supplementing it was never a noticeable issue, but ...I hesitate to give advice cause I don't know for sure. If you walk out into the sun and it feels really good on your skin, maybe hang out a little more in it

J

j.

pboy, I disagree that we don't know what is a good vitamin D level. Having between 30 and 35 ng/ml or greater reduces the parathyroid hormone, which prevents calcification of soft tissues. Increasing one's level after 35 produces only very small reductions in PHT level. Still, we can conclude from this that having less than 30 ng/ml is not good.

juanitacarlos

I can always tell when my vitamin d levels are low - I just don't tan. Actually, I wouldn't even call it a tan, more like getting some colour, looking less like a vampire. When my levels are good, I'm out in the sun for 30 mins and I get some colour in my skin afterwards. Not exactly scientific, but that's a good indicator for me.

I should add that I have pale skin so it is easy for me to notice even slight changes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals