Vitamin D "as Good As Drugs" In Lowering Blood Pressure

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written that the major factor determining blood pressure is calcium homeostasis. He has also frequently said that 15mg of vitamin K2 (MK-4) should be able to normalize the blood pressure in about a week. So, it is natural that other agents participating in the proper metabolism of calcium may also have beneficial effects on blood pressure. It looks like vitamin D is another such factor, and according to the researchers is as effective as pharma drugs in lowering blood pressure. The highest dose was 4,000 IU per day for 3-6 months, which is not that high. The official recommendations are 1,000 IU for every 25lbs of body weight.

Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Blood Pressure in BlacksNovelty and Significance
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... ssure.html
"...The once a day tablets [vitamin D3], available from chemists, produced reductions in high blood pressure 'as powerful' as medicines, a Danish study has found. A group to 112 patients with high blood pressure were given the supplements for 20 weeks and showed significant improvements in their condition."

So, it looks like the combo of 4,000 IU vitamin D3 and 15mg of MK-4 a day may be a good alternative to beta blockers and angiotensin inhibitors.

Last edited:

Suikerbuik

@lexis calcitriol is not vitamin D...

@Haidut 4000 is a high dose and 4 mmhg is almost negligible. The fact that this effect is almost as effective as pharma durgs says more about pharma drugs and our poor understanding of the issue.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Suikerbuik said:
@lexis calcitriol is not vitamin D...

@Haidut 4000 is a high dose and 4 mmhg is almost negligible. The fact that this effect is almost as effective as pharma durgs says more about pharma drugs and our poor understanding of the issue.

Agreed, but there is also the fact that staying under strong sun will produce about 20,000 IU of vitamin D in about 30min. Of course, I don't know if this will have the same effects as ingesting 20,000 IU of the vitamin.

milk

haidut said:
So, it looks like the combo of 4,000 IU vitamin D3 and 15mg of MK-4 a day may be a good alternative to beta blockers and angiotensin inhibitors.

Should I try this if I'm otherwise eating peaty but my blood pressure is still high? Any risks I should know about?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk said:
haidut said:

Should I try this if I'm otherwise eating peaty but my blood pressure is still high? Any risks I should know about?

I think you should ask your doctor first but this is in line with Peat's recommendations. Another ingredient used clinically to lower blood pressure is taurine in doses of 3g - 5g daily. The Wikipedia page for taurine has tons of info on this topic.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
sunflower1 said:
Does K2 help with someone who has low blood pressure too?

Have not seen any evidence for that, but vitamin E has been shown to raise blood pressure initially. Have you asked a doctor why yours is low?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Suikerbuik said:
Unaware of the statistical methods used, but here the conclusion of a meta-study published not that long ago..

Conclusions and Relevance Vitamin D supplementation is ineffective as an agent for lowering BP and thus should not be used as an antihypertensive agent.
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2195120

Oops, didn't know about that. Thanks for bringing it up!

sunflower1

haidut said:
sunflower1 said:
Does K2 help with someone who has low blood pressure too?

Have not seen any evidence for that, but vitamin E has been shown to raise blood pressure initially. Have you asked a doctor why yours is low?[/quote

No he doesn't even think I'm hypothyroid.

I do tend to have low potassium on my hair analysis tests and have never in 3 years managed to get it over a 5.. Even though I'm eating around 5000mgs of it a day..

I also have low adrenal function so I'm guessing that might have something to do with it too

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Where did these numbers come from @haidut? TIA

The Vitamin D Council apparently:
https://blog.bulletproof.com/the-top-5-reasons-vitamin-d-makes-women-bulletproof/
"...Vitamin D has also may increase fertility rates by six percent. Studies have shownthat vitamin D works synergistically with other vitamins. It may not be too much vitamin D that’s the problem, but a deficiency in other nutrients. Either way, a good place to start for supplementation would be 1000 IU of D3 per day for every 25lbs of body weight, as per The Vitamin D Council’s recommendations. If you want to supplement more accurately, test and re-test your vitamin D levels."