Vitamin D And Parathyroid Hormone

Davsey85

My vitamin D 25 levels came in at 29

My intact parathyroid hormone was 18 (12-65)

I was told my an alternative med practioner that my vitamin d is really
low

However the columbian doc who treats autoimmune diaease like ms

Says each persons optimal vitamin
D is different when the parathyroid is almost suppressed at its lower limit
That is the highest vitamin d thay the body will allow

That would mean that my vitamin
Is close optimal at 29 since my parathyroid hormone is on the low end?

I dont know if my vit d levels can be
Raised to 4o range without parathyroid dropping below reference range

Trying to see if my vitamin d levels is contributing to my emf sensitivty and cfs and if i should be supplementing since i am uv sensitive

Thanks

Last edited:

Mito

However the columbian doc who treats autoimmune diaease like ms

Says each persons optimal vitamin
D is different when the parathyroid is almost suppressed at its lower limit
That is the highest vitamin d thay the body will allow

That would mean that my vitamin
Is close optimal at 29 since my parathyroid hormone is on the low end?

Chris Masterjohn would agree with your Columbian doctor.

“So I’m a huge advocate of measuring PTH levels, because if the reference range of 25(OH)D is set at the level that we expect across the population to result in maximally suppressed PTH, why don’t we look at the individual, to see if that individual’s PTH is maximally suppressed. Why, why do we – if we can take that individual’s blood anyway, if we’re already doing that and measuring stuff in it, why wouldn’t we see whether that individual’s PTH is actually maximally suppressed? Because, you know, the more and more we understand about the complexities in this pathway, the more and more we understand that many things affect 25(OH)D. And if we’re measuring 25(OH)D once a year, why don’t we consult the parathyroid gland’s expertise, if it’s monitoring the vitamin D-calcium economy millions of times a day. So, in my opinion, we’re sort of over-using and over-interpreting 25(OH)D as a marker of vitamin D status; what we should be doing is looking at parathyroid hormone and seeing, from what I’ve seen in my working paradigm right now, is that in general if you’re in the lower half of the reference range – so I’m not talking about outside of it, outside of the upper end or the lower limit, I’m talking about within the reference range. If you’re in the reference range you don’t have a parathyroid disorder, great. But within the reference range, if you’re in the lower half, it’s my current thought based on the literature that I’ve seen, that probably that lower half is the sweet spot for being pretty confident that your vitamin D-calcium economy is adequate, as determined by the resident expert, your parathyroid gland.
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/05/11/the-daily-lipid-podcast-9-balancing/

Zpol

@Davsey85
I recently had some discussion with Dr. RP on the topic of vitamin D and PTH. My original inquiry was in regards to gastritis but his response had to do with the aforementioned topics...

Me: "Just wondering if you are familiar with non-H.Pylori gastritis. Have you got any thoughts on this issue? Or, could you recommend any studies or directions I could focus on in my research? ..."

Dr. RP: "[he provided some studies on gastritis] Have your cortisol and vitamin D been measured? If you’re going to be getting tests, it might be good to include parathyroid hormone. Low thyroid, low vitamin D, and stress are often involved in gastritis."

Me: "Thank you! This is exactly the guidance I was looking for. My last blood test showed PTH (intact) at 24.0 pg/mL, so that is in range. My last Vit D test was 25-HYDROXY D TOTAL at 32 ng/mL. And that's with 4000 i.u. vit D in supplement form. I've read that 10,000 i.u. would be safe so I think I will up it. And I will have to get a SERTI light for vitamin D synthesis.
I am not sure about cortisol, I will have to look into that.

Dr. RP: "Getting your vitamin D up to 50 or 60 ng/ml might take care of it, but tissue atrophy usually involves a low ratio of pregnenolone and DHEA to cortisol and estrogen. Stress hormones lower TSH, so it isn’t a reliable indicator of thyroid status; sometimes a thyroid supplement will correct the steroid ratio."

So, point being, my PTH is low, yet Dr. RP still recommended I get my Vit. D level up into the 50/60 range. I don't know what his recommendation would have been if my PTH was higher. One possibility would be that if PTH is higher than vit D should be even higher, something like 70/80 ng/mL range; that is my personal assumption however. I believe the take away from this discussion is that 50/60 ng/mL range for 25(OH)D is ideal for low end PTH, and cortisol levels should be considered as well.
Please note this discussion was in regards to gastritis, so please consider the context.

Perhaps increasing calcium from diet will be beneficial in keeping your PTH steady while increasing Vit. D? I'm not sure about this but it'd be and avenue to research.

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

I find that increase calcium intake

and d3 supplementation makes me

feel worse.There is a new age of

reccomendations at vitamin d being

50 plus

I dont know about this

With blue light and emf that last

thing you want is hypercalcemia or

More calcium channel activity

I think sunshine is better

Or maybe an indoor uvb system

Thanks

magnesiumania

PTH stimulate D metabolism but every step require magnesium. Calsium tend to slow things down, magnesium speed things up. A combination of the minerals boron and magnesium is the best you can do to support your vitamin D status, storage and active. In fact boron will ameliorate symtoms of low D pretty fast.

Amazoniac

- Effects of Age and Serum 25-OH-Vitamin D on Serum Parathyroid Hormone Levels
Abstract said:
Context: Several studies define optimal serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) levels based on serum PTH level reaching an asymptote. However, results differ widely, ranging from 25-OHD levels of 12–44 ng/ml: many studies are constrained by small sample size.

Objective: The objective of the study was to determine the relationship between serum PTH and 25-OHD levels and age in a very large reference laboratory database.

Design: This was a detailed cross-sectional analysis of 312,962 paired serum PTH and 25-OHD levels measured from July 2010 to June 2011.

Results: Median PTH levels and the proportion of patients (PTH 65 pg/ml), from 63 successive 25-OHD frequency classes of 5000 patients, provide smooth, exceptionally well-fitted curves (R² = 0.994 and R² = 0.995, respectively) without discernible inflection points or asymptotes but with striking age dependencies. Serum 25-OHD was below the recent Institute of Medicine sufficiency guidance of 20 ng/ml in 27% (85,000) of the subjects. More importantly, 40 and 51% of subjects (serum 25-OHD20 and 10 ng/ml, respectively) had biochemical hyperparathyroidism (PTH 65 pg/ml).

Conclusions: This analysis, despite inevitable inherent limitations, introduces several clinical implications. First, median 25-OHD-dependent PTH levels revealed no threshold above which increasing 25-OHD fails to further suppress PTH. Second, the large number of subjects with 25-OHD deficiency and hyperparathyroidism reinforces the Third International Workshop on Asymptomatic Primary Hyper parathyroidism’s recommendations to test for, and replete, vitamin D depletion before considering parathyroidectomy. Third, strong age dependency of the PTH-25-OHD relationship likely reflects the composite effects of age-related decline in calcium absorption and renal function. Finally, this unselected large population database study could guide clinical management of patients based on an age-dependent, PTH-25-OHD continuum.

upload_2020-6-3_21-31-12.png

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

i have low normal Parathyroid in the 20 range but vitamin d only 29 last measured

i am told vitamin d should be 40-60 and the columbrian doctor combra says once parathyroid is suppressed you cannot increase vitamin d

Amazoniac

i have low normal Parathyroid in the 20 range but vitamin d only 29 last measured

i am told vitamin d should be 40-60 and the columbrian doctor combra says once parathyroid is suppressed you cannot increase vitamin d
If 85 is your birth year, you could be within what's expected for your age group according to their information (close to 30 on each axis for example). It's not a dose-response experiment, but the bulk of suppression occurs initially, from then onwards increasing killcidiol levels leads to considerably shier suppression of paratyphoid hormode, and 10 ng/ml more to your current level must not be an issue if you feel great from it since PTH might barely change.

Last edited:
OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

If 85 is your birth year, you could be within what's expected for your age group according to their information (close to 30 on each axis for example). It's not a dose-response experiment, but the bulk of suppression occurs initially, from then onwards increasing killcidiol levels leads to considerably shier suppression of paratyphoid hormode, and 10 ng/ml more to your current level must not be an issue if you feel great from it since PTH might barely change.

Interesting birth year is 85

OP
Davsey85

Davsey85

On Jack's forum i was told the reason i can't tolerate super high UV index in the trophics is because i am not drinking enough water

8-12 liters is what i was told.With Salt.One person on this thread mentioned this kind of heat is not something you try to acclimate to

baccheion

Ancient diet near the equator included more magnesium and potassium. 1.5 grams magnesium, 15g potassium (7:1 ratio with sodium), 1.5 grams phosphorus (20 mg per gram protein; 2-3:1 P:Ca)..

Fruitarians complain about being cold. All the potassium seems to increase vasodilation, aiding with heat dissipation. Progesterone, calcium, etc also agonise beta-2 adrenergic receptors (vasodilation and anabolism at the muscle) when in warmer climates. Vitamin D has the opposite effect.

I wonder if the increase in potassium would also spare any need to increase cortisol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals