Vitamin D Always High!

Doomed80

I didn't know where else to turn to because even google search yielded no answers. My 25(OH)D level have been always high (top lab range) in the past 3 years. I initially thought it could be due to supplementation but I stopped all Vitamin D supplements for over a year and it still show up very high on blood tests. I saw YT for Dr. Berg in which he explains that some people have problems converting the inactive form 25 (OH) D to the active form 1,25 - DIHYDROXY D (screenshot attached), which causes its level to build up.

Does anybody else have this issue? Is there an explanation? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-002023_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210225-002023_YouTube.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Quelsatron

Is there any problem? You mean you are in the dangerous range in the lab tests? Regarding the lack of ability to convert it to 1,25 dihydroxy, I've only heard that being the case if you have severe kidney problems, and if you're suspecting that you can't convert it the correct thing would be to do a blood test. You're not supposed to have high levels of 1,25 dihydroxy though, it's a much less straightforward curve than 25 hydroxy, it can be high despite low D and can work together with PTH to break down bone apparently, it doesn't follow along the 25 hydroxy curve.

Rave re-peat

I didn't know where else to turn to because even google search yielded no answers. My 25(OH)D level have been always high (top lab range) in the past 3 years. I initially thought it could be due to supplementation but I stopped all Vitamin D supplements for over a year and it still show up very high on blood tests. I saw YT for Dr. Berg in which he explains that some people have problems converting the inactive form 25 (OH) D to the active form 1,25 - DIHYDROXY D (screenshot attached), which causes its level to build up.

Does anybody else have this issue? Is there an explanation? Thanks
What the previous post said. Active vitamin D is supposed to be low. It only gets activated when bad things happens in the body. 25 hydroxy vitamin D is what you want. All though maybe not upper limit. But if its within limits then it is normal. If you have no ill effects from it then there is no problem. Could you post your lab results so we can se it?
Also did you supplement before? How much and for how long?
I dont think you have anything tonworry about unless youre feeling sick.

OP
D

Doomed80

Is there any problem? You mean you are in the dangerous range in the lab tests? Regarding the lack of ability to convert it to 1,25 dihydroxy, I've only heard that being the case if you have severe kidney problems, and if you're suspecting that you can't convert it the correct thing would be to do a blood test. You're not supposed to have high levels of 1,25 dihydroxy though, it's a much less straightforward curve than 25 hydroxy, it can be high despite low D and can work together with PTH to break down bone apparently, it doesn't follow along the 25 hydroxy curve.
Thanks for prompt reply. High as in 50 ng/ml despite not taking any vit D supplements. Some dairy is fortified with vit D but even those provide minute doses. I had my kidney function tested and it's fine. That said, my DHEA-s is at the rock bottom of the normal range. Should I get 1,25 dihydroxy tested? How would I interpret the result? I was theorizing that maybe my body isn't utilizing vitamin D effectively or having issues converting it.

OP
D

Doomed80

What the previous post said. Active vitamin D is supposed to be low. It only gets activated when bad things happens in the body. 25 hydroxy vitamin D is what you want. All though maybe not upper limit. But if its within limits then it is normal. If you have no ill effects from it then there is no problem. Could you post your lab results so we can se it?
Also did you supplement before? How much and for how long?
I dont think you have anything tonworry about unless youre feeling sick.
Thanks for the reassurance. I was a bit concerned because doctors gave me nothing but "shrugs". I'll share my bloodwork. I've been supplementing 2000IU/day for a few months back in 2018 and had my level measured later and it was 55 ng/ml. Doctor instructions were to stop for 3 months and then resume it. I re-tested after 3 months and it was at 48 ng/ml and it mostly remained at that level in 2019 through 2020. I've just checked my multivitamin and it has 5mcg per serving.

Quelsatron

Thanks for prompt reply. High as in 50 ng/ml despite not taking any vit D supplements. Some dairy is fortified with vit D but even those provide minute doses. I had my kidney function tested and it's fine. That said, my DHEA-s is at the rock bottom of the normal range. Should I get 1,25 dihydroxy tested? How would I interpret the result? I was theorizing that maybe my body isn't utilizing vitamin D effectively or having issues converting it.
around 50 ng/ml is perhaps the optimal level, so you shouldn't worry about that, and 2000 IU isn't that much so it's probably just a low response from the supplement. You could test 1,25 for the sake of thoroughness, but I don't think there's anything wrong with your vitamin D levels, it's probably something else, but I still don't get what your actual problem is. and I don't know the slightest thing about DHEA

OP
D

Doomed80

What's your body type? Fat, skinny? Old, young?
I'm bodybuilder/athletic. 5' 9" 190 and 40 years old. I was a bit surprised since my 25 hydroxy vitamin D is ever high normal despite not supplementing it. Reddit, forums, medical websites are stuffed with information about low vitamin and necessity to get thousands of IUs everyday to meet the daily needs. This has not been the case for me where my level remains high normal despite minimal intake for years. Dr. Berg video about inactive to active vitamin D conversion had me wonder if my body isn't optimally utilizing vit D.

Last edited:

rei

90ng is optimal level. Official reference range is similarly deluded as official RDA. Proper research shows everyone needs 10k IU daily to maintain optimal levels.

Perry Staltic

I'm bodybuilder/athletic. 5' 9" 190 and 40 years old. I was a bit surprised since my 25 hydroxy vitamin D is ever high normal despite not supplementing it. Reddit, forums, medical websites are stuffed with information about low vitamin and necessity to get thousands of IUs everyday to meet the daily needs. This has not been the case for me where my level remains high normal despite minimal intake for years. Dr. Berg video about inactive to active vitamin D conversion had me wonder if my body isn't optimally utilizing vit D.

Do you get any sun? Skin can produce an insane amount of vitamin D.

Yucca

90ng is optimal level. Official reference range is similarly deluded as official RDA. Proper research shows everyone needs 10k IU daily to maintain optimal levels.

i get 96ng/dl in my last blood test 2 weeks ago, exactly the same with my wife. And my calcium levels are perfectly safe. We take 10000iu ED 6d/7 10months/12. All is fine, as long as you get enough vit K2 with you D (say at least 200-300mcg for 10000iu, but you can take more)

OP
D

Doomed80

i get 96ng/dl in my last blood test 2 weeks ago, exactly the same with my wife. And my calcium levels are perfectly safe. We take 10000iu ED 6d/7 10months/12. All is fine, as long as you get enough vit K2 with you D (say at least 200-300mcg for 10000iu, but you can take more)
Glad for you both. However, my case is a little different. My level has been consistently well above 90ng/ml without any Vitamin D intake for over a year. If I take 10000iu ED, I suspect I'll reach toxicity level after a short while.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals