Vitamin C

pboy

no I don't supplement, but ill sometimes just eat a 1/2 teaspoon or so of dried high vitamin c berries like acerola cherry or camu camu instead of OJ

Giraffe

Absorption and Excretion of Ascorbic Acid Alone and in Acerola (Malpighia emarginata) Juice: Comparison in Healthy Japanese Subjects
As seen in Fig. 3 and Table 2, the acerola juice tended to promote the absorption of ascorbic acid in plasma and suppressed its excretion in urine better than the ascorbic acid alone. Similarly, Vinson and Bose18) reported that the ascorbic acid in citrus extract was more bioavailable than ascorbic acid alone in human subjects. They studied under two conditions. Their subjects were either saturated with or deprived of ascorbic acid in the body, then tested for the absorption and excretion of ascorbic acid in citrus extract versus ascorbic acid alone. In the subjects who were deprived with ascorbic acid in the body, the AUC value for ascorbic acid containing 500mg citrus extract was greater than for ascorbic acid alone. In addition, significantly less ascorbic acid containing citrus extract was excreted. In contrast to the subjects who were saturated with ascorbic acid had a completely opposite outcome.

[The acerola fruit: composition, productive characteristics and economic importance]. - PubMed - NCBI
Its high content in vitamin C (695 a 4827 mg/100 g) is remarkable, [...]

Kray

@Giraffe: This article is a good find. I've been supplementing with acerola powder, but only for a few weeks. Are you incorporating acerola in your diet for vitamin C purposes? If so, can you share your results? Not sure how much to take since it is so concentrated, but here is the breakdown:

Serving size: 1 tsp
Vitamin A 200IU
Vitamin C 510 mg
Calcium 3 mg

Giraffe

Are you incorporating acerola in your diet for vitamin C purposes? If so, can you share your results?
I use the acerola juice only once in a while. I decide according to symptoms (for example, if a cold) or when I suspect that I might need a little more than usual or get less from my diet. I add some acerola juice to whatever beverage it fits into. It's yummy with apple or orange juice. When I first tried it, I felt great. It was like something was opening up and lifting behind behind my ribs. It was only the very first time though that I noticed anything.

Vitamin C 510 mg
I personally wouldn't take any more in one sitting. The biovailabilty is better with lower doses.

Kray

Thanks for the feedback. Your point makes sense on "less is more" from a bioavailable food source. I don't overdo it, and I'm sure I'm getting a fair amount in my daily diet from other foods. I've been considering more C from an anti-aging standpoint. The best ascorbic acid options seem to be the "China-free", or "Quali-C" products.

johnwester130

Thanks for the feedback. Your point makes sense on "less is more" from a bioavailable food source. I don't overdo it, and I'm sure I'm getting a fair amount in my daily diet from other foods. I've been considering more C from an anti-aging standpoint. The best ascorbic acid options seem to be the "China-free", or "Quali-C" products.

i'm also looking and settled on light pink camu camu.

the brown version tastes bitter apparently

Amazoniac

I'm still wondering what negative effects would make me want to stop?
And considering Nathan's article on the benefits of ascorbate you think he wouldn't have used it?
I wouldn't want to be a supercentenarian. Linus Pauling lived quite a long time. Maybe he'd have lived longer if he didn't just do C. There's obviously more to health than C and maybe someone who wasn't eating crap diets for yrs and yrs and were raised on whole foods, maybe they wouldn't need near the amount of C us sick folks need. I'm not denying that.
As far as I know Albert Szent-Györgyi used bell peppers some times to extract vit C. He ingested 1g, not 3g or more, of vit C a day and 8-9g only when sick. I believe this information was taken from his biography by Ralph Moss written with his conszent, not sure. There are reports of him taking 4-5g later on, but I suppose it was when he was getting sicker.

Why do you think Max Gerson gave most patients only 400mg of vit C a day (in spread doses of 100mg!)? So why not 8g since it was supplemental anyway?

500-1000mg is a reasonable range and achievable through foods.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2001.10719159

3g to maintain health seems delirium. And suggesting that the average healthy person needs this much would be equivalent to moving the RDA of vit D to 30000IU a day because there are people that found benefit in doing so when supplementing. However there is no doubt that our requirements are higher than the current RDA and that the upper limit should be set way higher as well.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

What's the best Camu Camu vitamin c supplement then?

I take a powder derived from acerola cherry by Truly Natural, Health Force. 2 teaspoons equal 420 mg. Nothing more.

Frankdee20

This is because fruit gets expensive like Kiwis and oranges and guavas.

InChristAlone

As far as I know Albert Szent-Györgyi used bell peppers some times to extract vit C. He ingested 1g, not 3g or more, of vit C a day and 8-9g only when sick. I believe this information was taken from his biography by Ralph Moss written with his conszent, not sure. There are reports of him taking 4-5g later on, but I suppose it was when he was getting sicker.

Why do you think Max Gerson gave most patients only 400mg of vit C a day (in spread doses of 100mg!)? So why not 8g since it was supplemental anyway?

500-1000mg is a reasonable range and achievable through foods.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2001.10719159

3g to maintain health seems delirium. And suggesting that the average healthy person needs this much would be equivalent to moving the RDA of vit D to 30000IU a day because there are people that found benefit in doing so when supplementing. However there is no doubt that our requirements are higher than the current RDA and that the upper limit should be set way higher as well.
You are using pretty strong language against high dose vitamin C. Delerium? Yet @DaveFoster is on 20-30mg of cyproheptadine just to feel okay, along with lots of hormones. I'm not judging his situation I know the desperation when you feel incredibly anxious. I'm just saying the level of hypocrisy is astounding on this forum.

Arnold Grape

You are using pretty strong language against high dose vitamin C. Delerium? Yet @DaveFoster is on 20-30mg of cyproheptadine just to feel okay, along with lots of hormones. I'm not judging his situation I know the desperation when you feel incredibly anxious. I'm just saying the level of hypocrisy is astounding on this forum.
Lol! *This*

Amazoniac

I doubt that we need at least 3g to maintain health, my guess would be around that range.
Do you think it's possible that there are vit C supplements on the market providing part of their product as dummy rounds and therefore needing higher dosages to reach the desired effect? Or perhaps there are enough oxidants from contamination that part of its reducing nature is lost before abortI mean, absorption? I linked Ray's interview because I can't think for myself and I don't trust my experience, but I don't represent the forum; if anything, I'm just one of pboy's pawns.

Frankdee20

that powder is 40 dollars! and only 270g

Your looking at amazon price, but that size equates to how many servings ? Unfortunately these food Source Vitamin c products are expensive. I got mine for 34. Two pounds of kiwis at store cost 5 bucks and lasts me two days. So do the math.

ddjd

Your looking at amazon price, but that size equates to how many servings ? Unfortunately these food Source Vitamin c products are expensive. I got mine for 34. Two pounds of kiwis at store cost 5 bucks and lasts me two days. So do the math.
why are you even eating kiwis?