Vitamin C

Logan-

"Another non-antioxidant function of Vit C includes modulation of neuronal metabolism by changing the preference for lactate over glucose as an energy substrate to sustain synaptic activity. During ascorbic acid metabolic switch, this vitamin is released from glial cells and is taken up by neurons where it restraints glucose transport and its utilization. This allows lactate uptake and its usage as the primary energy source in neurons [47]. It was observed that intracellular ascorbic acid inhibited neuronal glucose usage via a mechanism involving GLUT3 [48]." [¿]

However, animal studies have shown a clear association between the ascorbate and the cholinergic and dopaminergic systems, they also suggested that the ascorbate can act as a dopamine receptor antagonist. This was also confirmed by Tolbert et al. [46], who showed that the ascorbate inhibits the binding of specific dopamine D1 and D2 receptor agonists."

What do you make of these?

Amazoniac

What do you make of these?
The second is possibly a matter of dose, ascourgic acid affects tetrahydrobiopterin recycling, which is involved in tyroside metabolism. You would need large doses that overwhelm regulation, but given how people respond to it, I don't think that it's serving to antagonize it (even at such doses).

Regarding the first, I haven't look at and don't know what to make of it (hence the question mark). Seems dangerous, should be regulated as drugs.

Logan-

Amazoniac

- Trace Elements in Clinical Medicine
Metabolism of Trace Metals in Ascorbic Acid Deficiency: With Special Regard to Zinc Metabolism

"Male Hartley guinea pigs were assigned to three groups, a control group which received an AsA deficient diet for guinea pigs (Clea Japan Inc.) enriched with 1.3 g/kg AsA-Ca; an AsA deficient group which received the non-enriched diet; and an AsA excess group which received the diet enriched with 26 g/kg AsA-Ca. They were fed on each diet for 3 or 4 weeks, and subjected to various assays."

upload_2020-3-13_10-57-16.png

upload_2020-3-13_10-57-33.png

This time is not my fault, it was blurred in the publication.

Kray

Just chiming in to say I take 4 g ascorbic acid with baking soda in the morning before my banana. I think there are interactions with food that is probably best to avoid.

@sugarbabe: Can you clarify what form of vitamin C you take, how you dose it? I'd like to optimize my intake if you have suggestions. Do you ever do straight ascorbic acid, or do you believe it's best to take ascorbate? If so, can you share a diy recipe?

Thanks!

Amazoniac

Stolen from the work of zarrin:

- Effect of sodium chloride intake upon blood ascorbic acid level

upload_2020-4-16_8-48-21.png

"When about 7 g. of sodium chloride was added to each ordinary meal, the plasma ascorbic acid level dropped as in the case with rabbits (fig. 4). The accompanying increase in the basal metabolic rate might suggest that a similar mechanism comes into operation. It is remarkable that sodium chloride restriction on the other hand, increased the plasma ascorbic acid level in most subjects examined (table 2). The effect seemed to be pronounced in those subjects who have had previously low plasma ascorbic acid values."

upload_2020-4-16_8-48-26.png

"The above mentioned effect of excessive sodium chloride administration both on the plasma ascorbic acid level and the basal metabolic rate was far less pronounced during hot summer season (fig. omitted). Moreover, as shown in fig. 4 administration of ascorbic acid was found to prevent the increase in the basal metabolic rate [??] and the elevation of arterial blood pressure due to excess salt. These phenomena might be explained as due to reduced central susceptibility to excess sodium ions under these conditions."

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

Vitamin is my personal panacea.

If moody, 1-2g make me lighten up.

If sluggish, 1-2g gives me drive

slight headache? 200mg Magnesium(carbonate) and 1g Vit C. Headache gone.

Also: It strengthens endurance. I’ve over the years tried some substances before intense football, basketball or cycling sessions.

Creatine works. Succinic Acid. And Asmorbid acid works too. Had never thought that since for years there was research published that taking Vit C would mitigate training effects.

What I can’t figure out:
Since Vit C is obviously such a central nutrient and vitamin, why have humans lost the ability to synthesize endogenously? Was there really a Time in out Evolution where vit c uptake was that abundant?

Amazoniac

Vitamin is my personal panacea.

If moody, 1-2g make me lighten up.

If sluggish, 1-2g gives me drive

slight headache? 200mg Magnesium(carbonate) and 1g Vit C. Headache gone.

Also: It strengthens endurance. I’ve over the years tried some substances before intense football, basketball or cycling sessions.

Creatine works. Succinic Acid. And Asmorbid acid works too. Had never thought that since for years there was research published that taking Vit C would mitigate training effects.

What I can’t figure out:
Since Vit C is obviously such a central nutrient and vitamin, why have humans lost the ability to synthesize endogenously? Was there really a Time in out Evolution where vit c uptake was that abundant?
- Glut-1 explains the evolutionary advantage of the loss of endogenous vitamin C-synthesis: The electron transfer hypothesis

Amazoniac

- Vitamin C deficiency in dialysis patients—are we perceiving the tip of an iceberg?

"In Bantu siderosis [iron overload] [16], administration of dietary vitamin C supplements led to a significant increase in serum iron, indicating that vitamin C was helping to mobilize stored iron in these patients. During the initial phase of vitamin C therapy in siderotic subjects, there was accelerated release of urinary oxalic acid [17], consistent with conversion of vitamin C to dehydroascorbate by interaction with stored ferric ion, followed by catabolism of dehydroascorbate to oxalate. Dialysis patients may also accumulate excess iron stores in the GI-mucosa [18], which could lead to rapid breakdown of vitamin C provided by the diet, and limit the impact of supplemental vitamin C on plasma vitamin C levels."​

Many thanks @Amazoniac
Have publication will read
I guess you could come up with your own supplement line, but it's too much work and it's more practical to just relabel Ideal Laboratories' products. The advantage is in sparing neurods and time, yet it makes you dependent on Jorge and the industry in charge.

In case Jorge disappears, you may switch from the usual practice of extracting matter from matter to get by trying to extract matter from knowledge in searching for lost ideas in his posts, but it's finite and the incompetence eventually catches up. The conduct is dangerous, :ss2.

The analogy is not worse than what follows (don't underestimate, it's always possible to go lower), another official announcement fresh from the oven <trumpets>: 'iron' in prolactinese is now 'sepsium'.

tara

A speculation might be that before our forebears learned to cook starches, and before poleward migration, a large part of calories came in the form of good quality fresh fruit, with some fresh roots, leaves, and meat/fish etc.
That could have a lot of vit C.

Amazoniac

- Vitamin C as an antioxidant stabilizes the depressive brain
Abstract said:
Lithium chloride treatment of neural diseases, such as manic-depressive disorder, causes impairment of anti-oxidative defence. It induces opposite effects on nitric oxide-related systems. Antioxidant supplementation (Ascorbic acid) with Li Cl could have a therapeutic effect in unstable patients. The present study investigates the modulation of NO-producing cells in the rat brain, due to Li Cl administration to experimental animals. We report here the potential that Vitamin C administration along with Li Cl has in counteracting anti-oxidative stress. In control animals and in animals injected with low dose Li Cl together with Vitamin C, there were large numbers of NO-producing neurons. This number significantly decreased in animals treated only with the low dose of Li Cl and those injected with the high dose of Li Cl together with vitamin C. Moreover, the smallest number of NO-producing cells appeared in animals treated with high dose Li Cl only. Therefore, we suggest that Vitamin C reduces Li Cl noxious effects (reduction of NO levels) and recommend administering it together with mood stabilizing drugs.

Amazoniac

- Vitamin C inhibits the calcification process in human vascular smooth muscle cells
Abstract said:
Vascular calcification is a pathophysiological process that is associated with coronary atherosclerosis, and is a prognostic marker of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. The process of arterial wall calcification is triggered and accompanied by pro-osteogenic phenotypical modifications of resident smooth muscle cells (SMC). Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient required to support the production of extracellular matrix components and maintain healthy connective tissue. In this study we investigated the effects of ascorbic acid on cultured human aortic SMC calcification process in vitro. Our results demonstrate that supplementation of SMC cultures with ascorbic acid significantly decreases calcium accumulation in SMC-produced and -deposited extracellular matrix. These effects were accompanied by a reduction in cell-associated alkaline phosphatase activity. Significantly, treatment of cultured SMC with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, simvastatin and mevastatin, resulted in increased calcium accumulation in cultured SMC. These effects were blocked by ascorbic acid. The effects of ascorbic acid supplementation on pro-osteogenic modification were compared in different cell types. Analysis of the expression of osteogenic markers in cultured human aortic SMC, human dermal fibroblasts and immortalized human osteoblasts (hFOB) revealed cell type-specific responses to ascorbate supplementation. We conclude that ascorbic acid supplementation can actively and beneficially interfere with the process of arterial wall calcification, with potential implications for human health.

It's far from ideal to share material like this, but it's a decision between focusing on a few and losing the rest, or posting the others with a chance that someone else will interpret them and figure out which ones are worth it; wouldn't happen if I started to save them privately for later. The topic might not interest me so much at the moment, but could arrive at an opportune time for another member.

LA

I take 2 grams of Doctor's Best Vitamin C in water a couple of times a day, don't really get sick and good health, alternately.
Me too and it saved my life. 2 grams every two hours 4 or 5x daily (therefore 8 to 10 grams daily) - following the Dr. Fred R. Klenner guidelines, which also include 'more effective with calcium' so my husband and I drink organic whole milk too.

Last edited:

Recoen

High dose AA caused me to get mastitis 3 times, my hair started losing its color (Cu), and I had some other oxalate issues.

LA

High dose AA caused me to get mastitis 3 times, my hair started losing its color (Cu), and I had some other oxalate issues.
You wrote: ‘High dose AA caused me to get mastitis 3 times’

AA (which can also be used for Alcoholics Anonymous) close to the word Mastitis caused me to flash-remember one person in my life who told me she had it. She was always drinking/sipping wine, brandy, brown tequila and she drank *a lot* of black tea too.

Although you are not asking for help I did a lazy lookup on wikipedia for a quick overview on mastitis and the last paragraph in the section on Mastitis#Differential_diagnosis states that symptoms are also known to partially respond to progesterone
“Case reports show that inflammatory breast cancer symptoms can flare up following injury or inflammation making it even more likely to be mistaken for mastitis. Symptoms are also known to partially respond to progesterone and antibiotics . . .”

We use non-gmo ascorbic acid Quali-C. It keeps me alive along with never eating Starch and trying to avoid PUFA. Grey hair is another topic and is greatly helped by some B vitamins and also copper,

Yes I agree with trying to avoid oxalate. Dark chocolate is my exception. I gave up tea due to oxalate. I don’t eat vegetables although we grew our own veggies for many years and kept egg laying chickens too. Basically we stopped after we had the Swine flu back in 2009 as our bodies changed and I haven’t been sick since then. I don’t know about any connection between Ascorbic Acid Quali-C and oxalate in my situation - sorry about yours. I posted to that thread due to a Mr. Grape giving information many posting ago about someone named Nathan Hatch and something titled “Such Saturation” which inspired me to up my Ascorbic Acid. Apparently Mr. Grape posted it so long ago that I had to go to the Internet Archive to find it. I hope you recover!
P.S
In April of 2003 I purchased this book by Dr. Peat: "From PMS to Menopause: Female Hormones in Context" it is now available again and it was very helpful for progesterone tips in case you have not read it.

Recoen

You wrote: ‘High dose AA caused me to get mastitis 3 times’

AA (which can also be used for Alcoholics Anonymous) close to the word Mastitis caused me to flash-remember one person in my life who told me she had it. She was always drinking/sipping wine, brandy, brown tequila and she drank *a lot* of black tea too.

Although you are not asking for help I did a lazy lookup on wikipedia for a quick overview on mastitis and the last paragraph in the section on Mastitis#Differential_diagnosis states that symptoms are also known to partially respond to progesterone
“Case reports show that inflammatory breast cancer symptoms can flare up following injury or inflammation making it even more likely to be mistaken for mastitis. Symptoms are also known to partially respond to progesterone and antibiotics . . .”

We use non-gmo ascorbic acid Quali-C. It keeps me alive along with never eating Starch and trying to avoid PUFA. Grey hair is another topic and is greatly helped by some B vitamins and also copper,

Yes I agree with trying to avoid oxalate. Dark chocolate is my exception. I gave up tea due to oxalate. I don’t eat vegetables although we grew our own veggies for many years and kept egg laying chickens too. Basically we stopped after we had the Swine flu back in 2009 as our bodies changed and I haven’t been sick since then. I don’t know about any connection between Ascorbic Acid Quali-C and oxalate in my situation - sorry about yours. I posted to that thread due to a Mr. Grape giving information many posting ago about someone named Nathan Hatch and something titled “Such Saturation” which inspired me to up my Ascorbic Acid. Apparently Mr. Grape posted it so long ago that I had to go to the Internet Archive to find it. I hope you recover!
P.S
In April of 2003 I purchased this book by Dr. Peat: "From PMS to Menopause: Female Hormones in Context" it is now available again and it was very helpful for progesterone tips in case you have not read it.
In my case it was definitely oxalate. The doc and I could clearly see the crystals under a microscope. Once I stopped the AA (ascorbic acid lol), I haven’t had another bout of mastitis, my milk changed back to a normal color, and I no longer have any issues with clogged ducts. I imagine progesterone would definitely be helpful!