Vitamin C

Discussion in 'C' started by iLoveSugar, Oct 31, 2013.

1. iLoveSugar

iLoveSugar Member

Besides orange juice, does anyone supplement with vitamin C?

2. ilovethesea

ilovethesea Member

No, it can damage your kidneys.

3. pboy

pboy Member

no I don't supplement, but ill sometimes just eat a 1/2 teaspoon or so of dried high vitamin c berries like acerola cherry or camu camu instead of OJ

4. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

Absorption and Excretion of Ascorbic Acid Alone and in Acerola (Malpighia emarginata) Juice: Comparison in Healthy Japanese Subjects
    [The acerola fruit: composition, productive characteristics and economic importance]. - PubMed - NCBI

5. Kray

Kray Member

@Giraffe: This article is a good find. I've been supplementing with acerola powder, but only for a few weeks. Are you incorporating acerola in your diet for vitamin C purposes? If so, can you share your results? Not sure how much to take since it is so concentrated, but here is the breakdown:

Serving size: 1 tsp
    Vitamin A 200IU
    Vitamin C 510 mg
    Calcium 3 mg

6. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

I use the acerola juice only once in a while. I decide according to symptoms (for example, if a cold) or when I suspect that I might need a little more than usual or get less from my diet. I add some acerola juice to whatever beverage it fits into. It's yummy with apple or orange juice. When I first tried it, I felt great. It was like something was opening up and lifting behind behind my ribs. It was only the very first time though that I noticed anything.

I personally wouldn't take any more in one sitting. The biovailabilty is better with lower doses.

7. Kray

Kray Member

Thanks for the feedback. Your point makes sense on "less is more" from a bioavailable food source. I don't overdo it, and I'm sure I'm getting a fair amount in my daily diet from other foods. I've been considering more C from an anti-aging standpoint. The best ascorbic acid options seem to be the "China-free", or "Quali-C" products.

8. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

i'm also looking and settled on light pink camu camu.

the brown version tastes bitter apparently

9. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

As far as I know Albert Szent-Györgyi used bell peppers some times to extract vit C. He ingested 1g, not 3g or more, of vit C a day and 8-9g only when sick. I believe this information was taken from his biography by Ralph Moss written with his conszent, not sure. There are reports of him taking 4-5g later on, but I suppose it was when he was getting sicker.

Why do you think Max Gerson gave most patients only 400mg of vit C a day (in spread doses of 100mg!)? So why not 8g since it was supplemental anyway?

500-1000mg is a reasonable range and achievable through foods.
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2001.10719159

3g to maintain health seems delirium. And suggesting that the average healthy person needs this much would be equivalent to moving the RDA of vit D to 30000IU a day because there are people that found benefit in doing so when supplementing. However there is no doubt that our requirements are higher than the current RDA and that the upper limit should be set way higher as well.

10. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Member

I take 2 grams of Doctor's Best Vitamin C in water a couple of times a day, don't really get sick and good health, alternately.

11. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

The idea of a recommended intake is silly in itself. The ideal would be to set a safe range: at least a certain amount of the nutrient is necessary for health and up to a given limit there can exist variations in requirements.

12. ddjd

ddjd Member

What's the best Camu Camu vitamin c supplement then?

13. Frankdee20

Frankdee20 Member

Intensive Case Manager
    I take a powder derived from acerola cherry by Truly Natural, Health Force. 2 teaspoons equal 420 mg. Nothing more.

14. Frankdee20

Frankdee20 Member

Intensive Case Manager
    This is because fruit gets expensive like Kiwis and oranges and guavas.

15. ddjd

ddjd Member

that powder is 40 dollars! and only 270g

16. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

You are using pretty strong language against high dose vitamin C. Delerium? Yet @DaveFoster is on 20-30mg of cyproheptadine just to feel okay, along with lots of hormones. I'm not judging his situation I know the desperation when you feel incredibly anxious. I'm just saying the level of hypocrisy is astounding on this forum.

17. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Member

Lol! *This*

18. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

I doubt that we need at least 3g to maintain health, my guess would be around that range.
    Do you think it's possible that there are vit C supplements on the market providing part of their product as dummy rounds and therefore needing higher dosages to reach the desired effect? Or perhaps there are enough oxidants from contamination that part of its reducing nature is lost before abortI mean, absorption? I linked Ray's interview because I can't think for myself and I don't trust my experience, but I don't represent the forum; if anything, I'm just one of pboy's pawns.

19. Frankdee20

Frankdee20 Member

Intensive Case Manager
    Your looking at amazon price, but that size equates to how many servings ? Unfortunately these food Source Vitamin c products are expensive. I got mine for 34. Two pounds of kiwis at store cost 5 bucks and lasts me two days. So do the math.

20. ddjd

ddjd Member

why are you even eating kiwis?