Vitamin C May Treat Cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Probably everybody has heard of Linus Pauling, and his protocol involving large doses of vitamin C. Unfortunately, when Linus was allowed to test vitamin C in a clinical setting all the trials were conducted with oral instead of intravenous vitamin C. So, since there was not much effect, people abandoned the idea.
It looks like vitamin C may be coming back. The latest study found that the vitamin helps in chemotherapy AND slows cancer given on its own. Unfortunately, as the authors themselves said, no company is likely to pick this up and pay for a clinical trial. So, the hope is for government agencies to pick up the tab.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 17324.html

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In before Burtlancast.

4peatssake

Ben

Vitamin C in supplements is often contaminated with heavy metals, and most of it comes from china, so it would be good to drink lots of orange juice to get it instead of using a supplement. There is also berries that contain much more vitamin C than orange juice, and I have seen them in powder form. I am satisfied with the amount of vitamin C in orange juice.

I can't believe it's been so long, and there hasn't been much serious research into vitamin C and cancer. Hopefully it's the beginning of the end for people's perception that nutrients as harmless as vitamins or minerals can treat conditions as serious as cancer.

narouz

A while back I listened to a Peat interview in which he discussed Vitamin C.
I believe it was a KMUD interview.
Peat strongly advised against taking supplemental C.
I can't recall exactly what he said,
but I believe he said doing so resulted in a huge amount of iron absorbed into the organism.
And I don't think Peat said it was because the supplements necessarily contained iron themselves.
It was because of a reaction of the C with...can't recall.

It was a fascinating discussion.
Peat said--again, as I recall--that a lot of foods contain very high amounts of C,
but it is not reflected in food charts because the C therein
is not in the form commonly measured.
I think Peat said meat had a lot of C, for example.
Or maybe it was milk--
it was a kind of food I never would've guessed was high in C.

His comments stuck in my memory because for a while I used to add C powder to
my stupid low-carb smoothies along with flaxseed and whey and other lovely stuff.
It made me laugh (darkly) and think: boy, I was really poisoning myself very effectively.

burtlancast

Charlie said:
In before Burtlancast.

Ok, Charlie.

You poured the wine...

Now, you drink it !

[BBvideo 560,340:39wc9v9k]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh70sx_60-minutes-scoop-on-new-zealand-farmer-vit-c-miracle_tech%C3%A9ment[/BBvideo]

Well, that's SWINE FLU, not cancer, but still.

Now, the site of Hugh Riordan has a huge video section freely downloadable about treatement of cancer with Vit C.

http://www.riordanclinic.org/education/symposium/s2009

Here is Hugh in one of his presentation:

[BBvideo 560,340:39wc9v9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnvtep-O8y8[/BBvideo]

burtlancast

narouz said:
Peat strongly advised against taking supplemental C.
I can't recall exactly what he said,
but I believe he said doing so resulted in a huge amount of iron absorbed into the organism.

In what context ?

Where's the context ?

With Peat, everything's about the context....

Mephisto

"Yes, more than 20 years ago, I pointed out the amount of heavy metal
contamination, and the frequent reactions I had seen, to Pauling, and he
just said I should use Bronson's C, as if that would have been made with
anything except Hoffman-LaRoche's stuff. (It was Pauling's own
description of the manufacturing process for sulfuric acid, using a
"lead room," that got me thinking about the dangers of things
manufactured with it.) I guess ADM is making a large fraction of
ascorbic acid now, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was worse
than when the heavy metal studies were published several years ago.

Ray Peat's experiences and work with C:
The alteration of production processes in vitamin E manufacture when the
evil soybean monopoly bought the industry from Eastman Chemical is
analogous to what happened earlier in the vitamin C industry, as profits
were maximized. The dramatic vitamin C studies in the 1930s often used
only 15 or 25 milligrams per day. In 1953, my first experience with it
(which was still sold as "cevitamic acid")involved 50 mg per day, and
over a period of just 2 or 3 days, my chronic awful poison oak allergy
disappeared. Up until this time, it was still too expensive to sell in
large doses. Around 1955 or '56, new manufacturing methods made it cheap
(and, for some reason, the name changed from cevitamic to ascorbic) and
the average tablet went up to 500 mg. The first time I tried the new
form, around 1956, I developed allergy symptoms within a couple of days.
Over the next 20 years, my own increased sensitivity to synthetic
ascorbate led me to look for such reactions in others. The same
people who reacted to it often reacted similarly to riboflavin and
rutin, which were also made from cornstarch by oxidation. I ascribed the
reaction to some industrial contaminant that they had in common,
possibly the heavy metals introduced with the sulfuric acid. The heavy
metal contamination of synthetic ascorbate is so great that one 500 mg
tablet dissolved in a liter of water produces free radicals at a rate
that would require a killing dose of x-rays to equal. The only clean and
safe vitamin C now available is that in fresh fruits, meats, etc. The
commercial stuff is seriously dangerous.

from: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ort ... opics/1876

burtlancast

Oncologist Victor Marcial, M.D., has experience using it. He says: "We studied patients with advanced cancer (stage 4). 40 patients received 40,000-75,000 mg intravenously several times a week. . . In addition, they received a diet and other supplements. The initial tumor response rate was achieved in 75% of patients, defined as a 50% reduction or more in tumor size. . . As a radiation oncologist, I also give radiation therapy. Vitamin C has two effects. It increases the beneficial effects of radiation and chemotherapy and decreases the adverse effects. But this is not a subtle effect, is not 15-20%, it's a dramatic effect. Once you start using IV vitamin C, the effect is so dramatic that it is difficult to go back to not using it."

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v07n03.shtml

Ben

burtlancast said:
Oncologist Victor Marcial, M.D., has experience using it. He says: "We studied patients with advanced cancer (stage 4). 40 patients received 40,000-75,000 mg intravenously several times a week. . . In addition, they received a diet and other supplements. The initial tumor response rate was achieved in 75% of patients, defined as a 50% reduction or more in tumor size. . . As a radiation oncologist, I also give radiation therapy. Vitamin C has two effects. It increases the beneficial effects of radiation and chemotherapy and decreases the adverse effects. But this is not a subtle effect, is not 15-20%, it's a dramatic effect. Once you start using IV vitamin C, the effect is so dramatic that it is difficult to go back to not using it."

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v07n03.shtml
I read an article where high doses of vitamin C administered intravenously over a few weeks caused loss of fat tissue in a couple of bodybuilders, which is obviously a positive effect. The oral and intravenous modes of administration differ because oral vitamin C increases the absorption of iron. If there is pure vitamin C free of heavy metals, which I'm not sure is available at this point, and it's administered by IV in a hospital, I think it would be clearly beneficial. However, hospitals don't do this (hopefully just "yet"), and vitamin C is highly contaminated today.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
I think Peat said meat had a lot of C, for example.
Or maybe it was milk--
It was meat IIRC.

burtlancast said:
Ok, Charlie.

You poured the wine...

Now, you drink it !
:mrgreen:

burtlancast

himitsu said:
The heavy metal contamination of synthetic ascorbate is so great that one 500 mg
tablet dissolved in a liter of water produces free radicals at a rate
that would require a killing dose of x-rays to equal.
The commercial stuff is seriously dangerous.

It's possible; but where are the hard proofs ?
Where are the toxicology reports Ray's basing his opinion on ?

And if 0.5g of ascorbic acid produces as much free radicals as a killing dose of R-x, where are the bodies of the vitamin -minded people ?
They should be dying like flies.

Wilfrid

Hi guys,

Where on earth did you see that, based on this study, intravenous vitamin c is treating cancer?

"....The combination of parenteral ascorbate with the conventional chemotherapeutic agents carboplatin and paclitaxel synergistically inhibited ovarian cancer in mouse models and reduced chemotherapy-associated toxicity in patients with ovarian cancer.

To make it short, it works in mouse with conventional chemo, by making the chemotherapy more effective, and it reduced chemotherapy toxicity in humans.

And, in the two scenario, it was done with conventional chemo.
"...On the basis of its potential benefit and minimal toxicity, examination of intravenous ascorbate in combination with standard chemotherapy is justified in larger clinical trials."

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/6/222/222ra18

And, as Burtlancast's post said:
"....Vitamin C has two effects. It increases the beneficial effects of radiation and chemotherapy and decreases the adverse effects."

So far, chemo is still needed and beneficial. The mainstream treatment seems to be the most "important" piece of the equation.

Wilfrid

burtlancast said:
And if 0.5g of ascorbic acid produces as much free radicals as a killing dose of R-x, where are the bodies of the vitamin -minded people ?

Sadly enough, at the same place of the no-vitamin-minded people....

Wilfrid

And finally, to have an objective view on such study:

" WEDNESDAY, Feb. 5, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Large doses of intravenous vitamin C have the potential to boost chemotherapy's ability to kill cancer cells, according to new laboratory research involving human cells and mice.

Vitamin C delivered directly to human and mouse ovarian cancer cells helped kill off those cells while leaving normal cells unharmed, University of Kansas researchers report.

"In cell tissue and animal models of cancer, we saw when you add IV vitamin C it seems to augment the killing effect of chemotherapy drugs on cancer cells," said study co-author Dr. Jeanne Drisko, director of integrative medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center.

In follow-up human trials, a handful of cervical cancer patients given intravenous vitamin C along with their chemotherapy reported fewer toxic side effects from their cancer treatment, according to the study published in the Feb. 5 issue of Science Translational Medicine.

"In those patients, we didn't see any ill effects and we noticed they had fewer effects from the chemotherapy," Drisko said. "It seemed to be protecting the healthy cells while killing the cancer cells."

Intravenous vitamin C has been considered an integrative medical therapy for cancer since the 1970s, Drisko noted.

But vitamin C's cancer-killing potential hasn't been taken seriously by mainstream medicine ever since clinical trials performed by the Mayo Clinic with oral vitamin C in the late 1970s and early 1980s found no anti-cancer effects, she explained.

Researchers have since argued that those trials were flawed because vitamin C taken orally is absorbed by the gut and excreted by the kidneys before its levels can build up in the bloodstream.

But it's been hard to attract funding for further research. There's no reason for pharmaceutical companies to fund vitamin C research, and federal officials have been uninterested in plowing research dollars into the effort since the Mayo research was published, Drisko said.

This latest investigation began with researchers exposing human ovarian cancer cells to vitamin C in the lab. They found that the cells suffered DNA damage and died off, while normal cells were left unharmed.

The researchers then tested vitamin C on mice with induced ovarian cancer. The vitamin appeared to help chemotherapy drugs either inhibit the growth of tumors or help shrink them.

Finally, the team conducted a pilot phase clinical trial involving 27 WEDNESDAY, Feb. 5, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Large doses of intravenous vitamin C have the potential to boost chemotherapy's ability to kill cancer cells, according to new laboratory research involving human cells and mice.

Vitamin C delivered directly to human and mouse ovarian cancer cells helped kill off those cells while leaving normal cells unharmed, University of Kansas researchers report.

"In cell tissue and animal models of cancer, we saw when you add IV vitamin C it seems to augment the killing effect of chemotherapy drugs on cancer cells," said study co-author Dr. Jeanne Drisko, director of integrative medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center.

In follow-up human trials, a handful of cervical cancer patients given intravenous vitamin C along with their chemotherapy reported fewer toxic side effects from their cancer treatment, according to the study published in the Feb. 5 issue of Science Translational Medicine.

"In those patients, we didn't see any ill effects and we noticed they had fewer effects from the chemotherapy," Drisko said. "It seemed to be protecting the healthy cells while killing the cancer cells."

Intravenous vitamin C has been considered an integrative medical therapy for cancer since the 1970s, Drisko noted.

But vitamin C's cancer-killing potential hasn't been taken seriously by mainstream medicine ever since clinical trials performed by the Mayo Clinic with oral vitamin C in the late 1970s and early 1980s found no anti-cancer effects, she explained.

Researchers have since argued that those trials were flawed because vitamin C taken orally is absorbed by the gut and excreted by the kidneys before its levels can build up in the bloodstream.

But it's been hard to attract funding for further research. There's no reason for pharmaceutical companies to fund vitamin C research, and federal officials have been uninterested in plowing research dollars into the effort since the Mayo research was published, Drisko said.

This latest investigation began with researchers exposing human ovarian cancer cells to vitamin C in the lab. They found that the cells suffered DNA damage and died off, while normal cells were left unharmed.

The researchers then tested vitamin C on mice with induced ovarian cancer. The vitamin appeared to help chemotherapy drugs either inhibit the growth of tumors or help shrink them.

Finally, the team conducted a pilot phase clinical trial involving 27 patients (we are talking of humans here, not mouses) with stage III or stage IV ovarian cancer.

The patients who received intravenous vitamin C along with their chemotherapy reported less toxicity of the brain, bone marrow and major organs, the investigators found.

These patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding. with stage III or stage IV ovarian cancer

The patients who received intravenous vitamin C along with their chemotherapy reported less toxicity of the brain, bone marrow and major organs, the investigators found.

These patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding."

I think that the article posted by Haidut missed the last, but most important, paragraph above.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wilfrid said:
And finally, to have an objective view on such study:

" WEDNESDAY, Feb. 5, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Large doses of intravenous vitamin C have the potential to boost chemotherapy's ability to kill cancer cells, according to new laboratory research involving human cells and mice.

Finally, the team conducted a pilot phase clinical trial involving 27 WEDNESDAY, Feb. 5, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Large doses of intravenous vitamin C have the potential to boost chemotherapy's ability to kill cancer cells, according to new laboratory research involving human cells and mice.

Finally, the team conducted a pilot phase clinical trial involving 27 patients (we are talking of humans here, not mouses) with stage III or stage IV ovarian cancer.

These patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding. with stage III or stage IV ovarian cancer

These patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding."

I think that the article posted by Haidut missed the last, but most important, paragraph above.

Sorry WIlfred, but it appears that you have missed the message in the article I posted:):
Here are the relevant quotes from my article:

"...They also found that vitamin C can help to kill cancer cells without harming healthy cells."

"In the 1970s, chemist Linus Pauling extolled the benefits of using vitamin C to treat cancer. However, clinical trials of vitamin C administered orally were ineffective and the research was abandoned. In the intervening years it has been discovered that the body quickly excretes vitamin C that is taken by mouth. But when it is injected, vitamin C is able to inhibit the growth of cancer cells."

"...Co-researcher Dr Jeanne Drisko told BBC News that there was growing interest in the use of vitamin C by oncologists. "Patients are looking for safe and low-cost choices in their management of cancer," said. "Intravenous vitamin C has that potential based on our basic science research and early clinical data.""

While the article does talk about a specific trial on combining vitamin C with chemotherapy, the quotes above (especially #2) talk about vitamin C specifically and independently, and not in combination with chemotherapy. The researchers talk about vitamin C as a potential low-cost option for managing cancer. Nowhere do they suggest it mixed with chemotherapy. If that was the case they would be talking about the chemotherapy as the option for managing cancer and vitamin C as an adjuvant at best. But, in their own words, they suggest that they think it could be the main option. I specifically posted that article b/c it includes interview with the scientists who as it appears believe that vitamin C has potential for managing cancer on its own. Several other versions of the same news do not include the interview quotes and completely ignore the point of the article about independent use of vitamin C.
Finally, here is a slide deck from one of the co-authors. As you can see inside she is making some parallels that will be very familiar to the Peat crowd - i.e. Saint-Gyorgi, Pauling, oxidative metabolism, etc.
http://www.acamnet.com/driskobws2011.pdf

freal

If there is pure vitamin C free of heavy metals, which I'm not sure is available at this point, and it's administered by IV in a hospital, I think it would be clearly beneficial. However, hospitals don't do this (hopefully just "yet"), and vitamin C is highly contaminated today.

Well since Prop 65 was passed in California I think most US dietary medium sized supplement companies really did a lot to conform to the standards in it. The Prop 65 is extremely tough, it allowes only 1 mcg lead in one serving, with 1 mcg bonus if it has some herb in it or "natural extract". But because this Prop 65 is not the same as a federal or state law, but sort of people initiative, like were you can sue the company, the biggest companies, like big pharma and super small are exempt.

The last FDA survey of multivitamins shows very low levels, but only lead was tested??

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnes ... 115941.htm

narouz

I happened to come across the Peat interview most are referring to it seems
where he talks about heavy metal contamination of Vitamin C.
It is in the KMUD "Alkaline and Acid" show
at about the 40:00 mark.

It is a different interview in which Peat discusses
how supplemental C often results in huge iron intake--
and not, as I recall, because of contaminated excipients.
Seems like Peat described some kind of chemical reaction
that takes place with supplemental C,
yielding iron.
I believe it was another KMUD,
but it could have been a Politics & Science show.

Also in "Acid & Alkaline,"
Peat said meat has a lot of C.
Also potatoes.

On a completely unrelated note,
Peat described how
15 grams of the old Armour thyroid
was equivalent to
1 gram of the actual animal gland.
I don't think I have those values reversed, but...
This is at about the 48:00 point.
Makes me wonder how people eat a cow or pig thyroid gland
without going completely hyper.

Wilfrid

Hi haidut,

In the link you posted on vitamin C, the author mentionned the only clinical trial made on humans, so "in-vivo", regarding 27 patients with stage 3 or 4 ovarian cancer conducted by Dr Drisko and al.

"In a study of 27 patients newly diagnosed with stage 3 or 4 ovarian cancer, researchers found that patients who were injected with a high dose of vitamin C, along with their chemotherapy, experienced fewer negative side effects from their treatment."

My point was to outlined the ultimate result of the only clinical trial, so far, made on humans with IV vitamin C by Dr Drisko.

The final result was the following:

"These (27) patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding."

This part was missing on the initial article posted.
It would be interesting to see other references than "in-vitro" studies, though.
I will contact Dr Drisko by mail and ask her for the references involving IV vitamin C alone for treating cancer patient. :D

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wilfrid said:
Hi haidut,

In the link you posted on vitamin C, the author mentionned the only clinical trial made on humans, so "in-vivo", regarding 27 patients with stage 3 or 4 ovarian cancer conducted by Dr Drisko and al.

"In a study of 27 patients newly diagnosed with stage 3 or 4 ovarian cancer, researchers found that patients who were injected with a high dose of vitamin C, along with their chemotherapy, experienced fewer negative side effects from their treatment."

My point was to outlined the ultimate result of the only clinical trial, so far, made on humans with IV vitamin C by Dr Drisko.

The final result was the following:

"These (27) patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding."

This part was missing on the initial article posted.
It would be interesting to see other references than "in-vitro" studies, though.
I will contact Dr Drisko by mail and ask her for the references involving IV vitamin C alone for treating cancer patient. :D

I agree, the article in the Independent was about a test with combination of vitamin C and chemotherapy. However, Dr. Drisko is a well-known proponent of the vitamin C treatment of cancer, and if you look at that PDF I linked to in my last post you will see that her main point is pretty clear - i.e. she makes it sound like vitamin C alone has the potential to treat/manage cancer. In fact, most of her research focuses on that premise. Just Google her name. The mechanism of action for vitamin C used alone is that it helps form hydrogen peroxide in the body, which somehow gets delivered in a targeted manner to the cancer cells without touching much healthy cells. How that works exactly I am not sure, but that is one of the claims I saw in the PDF above. In other words, vitamin C when used alone creates a toxin that somehow kills cancer cells selectively.
Based on Dr. Drisko's bio and research I suspect that the study was done as combination of chemo and vitamin C simply because otherwise it would not have gotten funding or approval had it been vitamin C only. It is actually a common trick used by biochemist who want to test a new/experimental substance - i.e. do a trial with the new substance combined with established treatment and if the new substance shows additive effects with the established treatment then argue for a separate trial. Been there, done that:):
Now that some benefit of vitamin C has been tentatively established I think Dr. Drisko's goal is to do a test with vitamin C alone. Whether that will succeed or will end up never get funding remains to be seen:):