Vitamin C In Your Nose To Stop A Cold

tankasnowgod

This is realllllly interesting.

So, today, I felt the symptoms of a cold coming on (something nasty has been going around at work), and so when I got home, I started to load up on Vitamin C, to see if I could knock it out, as I learned from Cathcart and Pauling.

Well, I've taken 23 grams today, and haven't hit bowel tolerance, but the symptoms are gone. This indicates to me I had SOMETHING, but that I likely knocked it out.

Anyway, I was looking in Linus Pauling's book, and found something I used as a complementary strategy, but it might even be able to be used on it's own. Pauling credited "Braenden" with this nasal application method- take 3.1 g ascorbic acid, and dissolve in water. Apply 20 drops to each nostril- this increases the local concentration in the nose 1000 fold, and the local nasal tissues probably wouldn't be affected much by oral dosing.

I looked it up, and the entire theory and method is explained in one page, as a letter to the editor (of some publication)-

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/hemila/CC/Braenden_1973_ch.pdf

(I find it insanely humorous that the nasal application comes from someone who works in a narcotics laboratory)

Anyway, I did mix up a small batch, and applied some in each nostril. Also got the idea of putting some ascorbic acid powder directly in each nostril. I can tell it mixed with mucus, and coated a lot of my sinus passages. While not really swollen or congested, I could tell it opened up my sinuses. This is certainly something I will experiment with more.

Juuuuuust be wary about going out anywhere with white powder around your nose. I don't think most people will assume it's ascorbic acid.

Attachments

• Braenden_1973_ch.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 42

Makrosky

Wow, amazing experiment. Thanks for sharing.

You could try nasal Methylene Blue also? It is a great microbial killer

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

I should note..... both Pauling and Braenden mentioned Sodium Ascorbate, not Ascorbic Acid. Ascorbate would likely be more gentle, but I had no issues using Ascorbic Acid.

Luk3

“Vitamin C supplements are contaminated” comments incoming...

Cool tip, thanks.
Which vitamin C brand do you use?
And which Linus Pauling book were you reading? Interested in reading some of his work.

sweetpeat

I will definitely give this a try. My last cold was accompanied by loose stools which made me reluctant to try oral vitamin C therapy. And charcoal didn't seem to help either. It helped the loose stools but I still got the cold.

How are you applying the drops - with something like an eye dropper? I wonder if one of those nasal spray bottles would work.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Cool tip, thanks.
Which vitamin C brand do you use?
And which Linus Pauling book were you reading? Interested in reading some of his work.

I've been using Bulk Supplements Ascorbic Acid, which is the main thing I use. I also have some Sodium Ascorbate, from NOW. This is more to experiment with as a toothpaste and mouthwash (you don't want to leave ascorbic acid on your teeth, but ascorbate is fine).

I have "How to Live Longer and Feel Better." I'm reading it like a reference book right now, but plan to read the entire thing cover to cover soon.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

This is an interesting idea, too. I do have some, maybe I'll try a drop or two later.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

I will definitely give this a try. My last cold was accompanied by loose stools which made me reluctant to try oral vitamin C therapy. And charcoal didn't seem to help either. It helped the loose stools but I still got the cold.

How are you applying the drops - with something like an eye dropper? I wonder if one of those nasal spray bottles would work.

I was thinking something like those nasal spray bottles would be perfect. I actually used a q tip to apply the liquid, but eye dropper is the intended method. I just didn't have any free dropper bottles at the moment. Also, sodium ascorbate would work very well in the Neti pot.

I've been using Bulk Supplements Ascorbic Acid, which is the main thing I use. I also have some Sodium Ascorbate, from NOW. This is more to experiment with as a toothpaste and mouthwash (you don't want to leave ascorbic acid on your teeth, but ascorbate is fine).

I have "How to Live Longer and Feel Better." I'm reading it like a reference book right now, but plan to read the entire thing cover to cover soon.

Awesome, thanks.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

UPDATE- I did also try the Methylene Blue, and it also seemed to have some nasal opening properties. Felt different from vitamin C, but blow seemed to have similar methods of action. Certainly messier, though. Lots of blue under my nose, but this this before showering, and it all washed off.

Also, I got some blu-ish saliva and mucus, so that's fun.

Makrosky

UPDATE- I did also try the Methylene Blue, and it also seemed to have some nasal opening properties. Felt different from vitamin C, but blow seemed to have similar methods of action. Certainly messier, though. Lots of blue under my nose, but this this before showering, and it all washed off.

Also, I got some blu-ish saliva and mucus, so that's fun.
Thanks for the update! I have to wait for my otorhinolaryngologist to take some samples from my sinuses but when it is done I want to try a combo of iodine and methylene blue as a nasal rinse. Will report it's effects.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Why suppress what the body is trying to expel?

Thanks for the update! I have to wait for my otorhinolaryngologist to take some samples from my sinuses but when it is done I want to try a combo of iodine and methylene blue as a nasal rinse. Will report it's effects.

Iodine nasal rinse saved me from low temps. It single handedly delivered me from never going over 98 to always reaching 98.6. All after just a few days of rinsing with a water-pick with nasal adapter and povidone iodine saline solution. That and nasal misting periodically.

Nasal m blue is okay but I didn’t get as much from it. Will have to try nasal sodium ascorbate, I still wake up most mornings with a stuffy nose and it is one of the last health issues I just can’t seem to fix.

yerrag

I should note..... both Pauling and Braenden mentioned Sodium Ascorbate, not Ascorbic Acid. Ascorbate would likely be more gentle, but I had no issues using Ascorbic Acid.
Some body parts don't tolerate acidic substances. I don't know if the nasal passages would mind. I just know that the large intestine doesn't tolerate the acidity of ascorbic acid. It will just flush out. I don't know though if it will tolerate sodium ascorbate, but likely will. Try an enema with ascorbic acid vs. with sodium ascorbate.

burtlancast

I once attempted sniffing ascorbic acid power when i had a cold:never again, lol.

It burned my nasal passages.

rei

Yes, some popular woman vitamin-c lecturer also mentioned in one of her talks that snorting sodium ascorbate is effective but ascorbic acid should not be used.

pauljacob

When it comes to a cold I heed a century-old doctor's advice: "A cold lasts a week, but with the proper medications you can lick it in seven days!"

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

When it comes to a cold I heed a century-old doctor's advice: "A cold lasts a week, but with the proper medications you can lick it in seven days!"

Dr. Cathcart found that you can get rid of it in less than a day-