Vitamin C, Half Life Ignored!

forterpride

so this means we need less than the RDA or more. Sorry..im lazy...don't fee like reading that report.

OP
E
Not sure that's entirely true,plus for high dose it would have to be ascorbic acid.Lots of people take mega dose for illness ,testimonials all over the place.

OP
E
not sure if this old news ,but I only discovered it recently.Theres also more info trickling out regarding mega doses making iron more available and reducing iron overload. I am not at all scientific and this is above my head but surely someone like haidut could comment on it . PLEASE Respond. Linus Pauling Vindicated; Researchers Claim RDA For Vitamin C is Flawed

I'm doing Pauling therapy ::dosage 6gms daily in 3 divided doses ,I want to go higher to start
As I have extensive heart disease.

Maybe best to take a dose every hour as according to above link
Half life is 30 minutes, really need to know the best action to take.

redsun

We do need to consume vitamin C, but everyone likes to completely ignore the fact that humans have the ability to recycle vitamin C using reduced glutathione. This is why some people can eat pretty low vitamin C diets and not get scurvy. Now I am not saying we shouldn't make an effort to get enough daily. Ideally we do need to consume enough daily or at least most days but that number isn't that crazy.

This paper suggests the RDA for vitamin C should be 200mg and doesnt see much evidence for high doses. Of course there is a lot of conflicting research on this so I don't intend to debate about it but I wanted to make the point about glutathione.

"Seven healthy volunteers were hospitalized for 4-6 months and consumed a diet containing <5 mg of vitamin C daily. Steady-state plasma and tissue concentrations were determined at seven daily doses of vitamin C from 30 to 2500 mg. Vitamin C steady-state plasma concentrations as a function of dose displayed sigmoid kinetics. The steep portion of the curve occurred between the 30- and 100-mg daily dose, the current RDA of 60 mg daily was on the lower third of the curve, the first dose beyond the sigmoid portion of the curve was 200 mg daily, and complete plasma saturation occurred at 1000 mg daily. Neutrophils, monocytes, and lymphocytes saturated at 100 mg daily and contained concentrations at least 14-fold higher than plasma. Bioavailability was complete for 200 mg of vitamin C as a single dose. No vitamin C was excreted in urine of six of seven volunteers until the 100-mg dose. At single doses of 500 mg and higher, bioavailability declined and the absorbed amount was excreted. Oxalate and urate excretion were elevated at 1000 mg of vitamin C daily compared to lower doses. Based on these data and Institute of Medicine criteria, the current RDA of 60 mg daily should be increased to 200 mg daily, which can be obtained from fruits and vegetables. Safe doses of vitamin C are less than 1000 mg daily, and vitamin C daily doses above 400 mg have no evident value."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals