Vitamin C Cause Bleeding Gums, Not Sure Why

berk

i always got bleeding gums when i thake more that 0.5 grams of vitamine c (ascorbic acid)
But i read everywhere on the internet that symptoms like bleeding gums are more from a vit c deficiency.
So totally the opposite for me, i wondering why.

Blossom

i always got bleeding gums when i thake more that 0.5 grams of vitamine c (ascorbic acid)
But i read everywhere on the internet that symptoms like bleeding gums are more from a vit c deficiency.
So totally the opposite for me, i wondering why.
When I was taking high doses of vitamin C it made my bleeding gums worse. I later learned the body can convert it into oxalate. Once I lowered the oxalate in my diet and stopped taking high doses of vitamin C the problem went away for me.
Taking Vitamin C? Try a Salad Instead. - Sally K. Norton
This was just my experience. I don’t eat salad either I’m just careful to not take more than 200 mg of vitamin C.

RWilly

When I was taking high doses of vitamin C it made my bleeding gums worse. I later learned the body can convert it into oxalate. Once I lowered the oxalate in my diet and stopped taking high doses of vitamin C the problem went away for me.
Taking Vitamin C? Try a Salad Instead. - Sally K. Norton
This was just my experience. I don’t eat salad either I’m just careful to not take more than 200 mg of vitamin C.

I joined a high dose vitamin C group a long time ago, just to see how people are doing with it. It always seems to me that people don't react well at all, and the response from members usually is that the person still has not taken enough. Many are moms giving their kids super high doses. There's got to be a reason the body naturally limits how much C is absorbed, and why the body turns C in oxalates.

Blossom

I joined a high dose vitamin C group a long time ago, just to see how people are doing with it. It always seems to me that people don't react well at all, and the response from members usually is that the person still has not taken enough. Many are moms giving their kids super high doses. There's got to be a reason the body naturally limits how much C is absorbed, and why the body turns C in oxalates.
Yes, and we stopped producing it as a species long ago and I believe that was to prioritize glucose utilization but I admit to having an incomplete understanding. I just don’t buy the argument that we should be supplementing to compensate for the loss of our ability to endogenously produce vitamin C.

baccheion

200-250 mg at a time is usually enough. Then take every 4 hours. Even 1x/day can be sufficient.

Bleeding can be caused by vitamin C, vitamin K, or calcium deficiency.

berk

interesting.
you see a lot of study's that shows how beneficial high dose vit c can be, so i have tried it couple times but vit c never loves me back and never gives good results.
I have also read here in the past that bleeding gums is a symptom from high estrogen.
So any chance that vit c can increase estrogen?

berk

200-250 mg at a time is usually enough. Then take every 4 hours..
so low doses spread throughout the day instead 1 big dose can be beneficial... i gonna tried that.

so low doses spread throughout the day instead 1 big dose can be beneficial... i gonna tried that.

1000mg of C is physiologic,under severe distress needed amount increases up to 6000mg for steady state.
bleeding could be rebound scurvy.

RWilly

Yes, and we stopped producing it as a species long ago and I believe that was to prioritize glucose utilization but I admit to having an incomplete understanding. I just don’t buy the argument that we should be supplementing to compensate for the loss of our ability to endogenously produce vitamin C.

Do you happen to know when in our evolution we stopped producing C?

Blossom

Do you happen to know when in our evolution we stopped producing C?
No, not off the top of my head but if I find a source I’ll let you know.

Momentum

Are you using whole food vitamin C or ascorbic acid?
Whole Food Vitamins: Ascorbic Acid Is Not Vitamin C - Living Well Clinical Nutrition Center

COVID-19
People who are G6PD deficient can end up with iron overload and a cytokine storm especially when given ascorbic acid. Many practitioners have discovered throughout the years it is best for G6PD deficient individuals to have food based C which is ascorbate form. As we know with an elevation of serum ferritn that those individuals are in a cytokine flare. So it is best to speak with a medical professional if you are G6PD deficient before taking any ascorbic acid supplements.

C rich foods are always safer for G6PD deficient people than ascorbic acid. Please speak with your doctor who can advise you on what C rich foods to consume during the COVID-19 outbreak. Remember that just because you have a mutation does not mean that it is always problematic.

Whole Food Vitamins: Ascorbic Acid Is Not Vitamin C - Living Well Clinical Nutrition Center

berk

Please speak with your doctor who can advise you on what C rich foods to consume during the COVID-19 outbreak.
My doctor is stupid, he won his licence with a bag of chips or something...:confused:
But thanks for the links :happy::thumbsup:

Weeniest

It's likely to be from the blood thinning ability of C, especially at 3g+ daily.