Vitamin B6 May Be Anti-Adrenaline, And Thus Anti-Stress

haidut

Forum Supporter
Stress-induced hypertension is also a common condition in an environment of constant strife. It seems that chronically elevated adrenaline is the main culprit in causing it, and drugs that lower adrenaline may be able to help. In case you can't get your hands on clonidine, you can try vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3356457

"...Hypertension was associated with sympathetic stimulation. Treatment of pyridoxine-deficient rats with a single dose of pyridoxine (10 mg/kg body weight) reversed the blood pressure to normal levels within 24 hours, with concomitant restorations of hypothalamic serotonin and gamma-aminobutyric acid as well as the return of plasma norepinephrine and epinephrine to normal levels. Also, pyridoxine treatment reversed the hypothalamic hypothyroidism observed in pyridoxine-deficient rats. These results indicate an association between pyridoxine deficiency and sympathetic stimulation leading to hypertension."

Human dosage 100mg-150mg of B6.

pboy

I think people have the wrong idea about adrenaline, and cortisol and stress hormones in general. They are actually antiinflammitory hormones. They basically raise pressure artificially to speed up the rate of blood flow and put pressure on sugar to enter cells, because when you are under stress the cells demand for energy increases to the point of them potentially being damaged if they don't receive it. If you were under stress and DIDNT have cortisol, you would probably hurt yourself, feel weak...and eventually get into a serotonin dominant mindset, basically the helpless mindset, rather than if you have a powerful adrenaline response...you probably would have better dealt with the stress and therefore not fell in the coming hours into a serotonin state. To me that actually signals that excess b6 is potentially an irritant

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
pboy said:
I think people have the wrong idea about adrenaline, and cortisol and stress hormones in general. They are actually antiinflammitory hormones. They basically raise pressure artificially to speed up the rate of blood flow and put pressure on sugar to enter cells, because when you are under stress the cells demand for energy increases to the point of them potentially being damaged if they don't receive it. If you were under stress and DIDNT have cortisol, you would probably hurt yourself, feel weak...and eventually get into a serotonin dominant mindset, basically the helpless mindset, rather than if you have a powerful adrenaline response...you probably would have better dealt with the stress and therefore not fell in the coming hours into a serotonin state. To me that actually signals that excess b6 is potentially an irritant

I agree, but I think you missed the part of my post where it says "chronically" elevated adrenaline becomes an issue. I don't doubt that everything in the body including the dreaded serotonin, estrogen, adrenalin, cortisol, tryptophan, etc do have a physiological role but the evidence points that it is a trade off game - in the short term the body is willing to accept some toxicity from stress substances to get out of harm's way, but if continues long enough then your body adapts to run as if it is under constant stress. This is certainly not healthy. That's why Peat writes cortisol and adrenalin must be kept in check, not eliminated completely.

pboy

yea ...indeed there are probably times where it might be good, but I don't like being in those situations...where you basically have to calm yourself down and let time pass because the resolution to the current situation cant be dealt with immediately through action. Isnt that sort of the essence of what serotonin does? Prevents you from having constantly rebounding thoughts of the same thing, because either it cant be dealt with immediately or you don't know how to resolve it or are uncertain about which action to take immediately...so to prevent the mind from basically regurgitating the same stressful thoughts...the body uses serotonin to shift the state of mind, until I assume it presumes you are in a position to deal with or resolve whatever is stressful, through action at that current time

J

j.

pboy said:
Isnt that sort of the essence of what serotonin does? Prevents you from having constantly rebounding thoughts of the same thing, because either it cant be dealt with immediately or you don't know how to resolve it or are uncertain about which action to take immediately

Not always. After it's been chronicallyh high, it can stay high even when you can do something to escape an unpleasant situation.

TeslaFan

After years of inescapable stress, one can develop learned helplessness. Shifting the balance away from serotonin is the key to fix this. I have been seeing improvements with: coffee, ergot drugs (lisuride, hydergine), and anti-serotonin drugs (cyproheptadine, ondansetron).

Coffee, I feel, was very helpful.

I think the emphasis should be put on understanding why these stress hormones are chronically elevated and eliminating the source of that issue, rather than trying to dampen a normal physiological response.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
MyUsernameHere said:
I think the emphasis should be put on understanding why these stress hormones are chronically elevated and eliminating the source of that issue, rather than trying to dampen a normal physiological response.

That's certainly true, but for people that have been "adapted" already to run on stress hormones due to chronic stress, there is often a need to block/mitigate the stress response for some time and give the thyroid a break so it can recover. There is a reason Peat is OK with occasionally supplementing and taking some pharma drugs. For some people the situation is just that bad that they need a break. Obviously, the ultimate goal is to restore metabolism, not take drugs forever.

J

j.

MyUsernameHere said:

Again, even if you found the source of the former chronic stress, and the source of that stress is gone, serotonin could still remain high as a consequence. That's what chronic inescapable stress does. It can leave you unable to easily lower serotonin even after it's gone.

pboy

nice response by haibut and j...I completely agree and have experienced to some degree what theyre both talking about. Its like when Peat said that a person taking thyroid might experience a profound shift in mood...that could give them the feelings and hope to recover, or to feel what its like and realize its possible. Personally Im in a middle ground...I know my body, the sources of stress, and have sorted out the mental and spiritual aspects, social and all...the mood is good. But to feel optimum, which I had bouts of in the past and occasionally still have, so I know what it feels like, you almost have to cancel out the serotonin state through success, which builds hope, confidence, and belief...and I think building a social network and learning useful skills, so you have less likelihood of ever feeling helpless, is big.

Perhaps that's why indigenous people often have had better health...they knew how to procure all the necessities for life from their environment, by themselves if necessary. I suppose that would make it much harder to ever feel helpless. The certifications, posturing, and other stuff necessary in civilized social life probably play a big factor in the state of being of a lot of people...not to mention the capitalist attitude many harbor of not really being friendly or caring about the well being of the society as a whole, but rather their own or companies interest only

Kasper

I sometimes wonder if stress hormones like adrenalin and cortisol actually do make you feel stressed.
I've also read that the inability to produce adequate stress hormones in stressfull situations is the reason someone feels stressed.

paymanz

It is sympathetic nervous system activation and hypertension that is caused by b6 deficiency ,so it tells us b6 defiency can increase stress hormones but not necessarily b6 can lower them.

Xisca

I have bought p5p instead of B6.
What do you think about it? I hope to assimilate Mg better like this. I take citrate.
Until now I do not see a clear effect of oral Mg, and I have taken tons of MgB6 since childhood! It seemed doctors had nothing else to propose to me....
Sometimes I needed Mg as injections, which is painful, but efficient.

Xisca

Again, even if you found the source of the former chronic stress, and the source of that stress is gone, serotonin could still remain high as a consequence. That's what chronic inescapable stress does. It can leave you unable to easily lower serotonin even after it's gone.
I find this to be true... and you do not need to address the issue in real life. Sometimes it is even imposible.... What people were doing better before thann now is to support each other, in a way that helped to discharge the stress instead of freezing it inside. This is also what we do in soatic experiencing, and it Works, you do not have to do the real defense about what happened years ago. You do it in the presernt moment, following the feelt sense, and the body tells you what it wanted to do during the stress that overwhelmed you.
I think this can make serotonine lower.
And then, I guess that everything that make dopamine higher helps. But I still believe that it goes all better if you unblock the sympathic activation and discharge it instead of freeze it.

ddjd

would there be any benefit at all to taking regular b6 over b6p5p? or is it just more work for the body?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Would it be somewhat true to say that you'd rather have adequate cortisol levels, in order to reduce operating on excess adrenaline? Do they have a sort of antagonistic relationship?