Vitamin B6 Is A Dopamine Agonist And Prolactin Inhibitor

haidut

Forum Supporter
I mentioned in some of my other posts that vitamin B6, and especially the cheap pyridoxine hydrocholride type, was used several decades ago to treat hyperprolactinemia and dopamine deficiencies. The dosages used vary widely, but the lowest I have seen used is 10mg daily, while the highest was 300mg x 2 a day for a total of 600mg day. There is one study doing 300mg IV, which will likely achieve concentrations not achievable by any oral dose since B6 is water soluble and gets excreted pretty quickly. In any event, the concensus is that B6 acts like a functional dopamine agonist (probably similar to the way caffeine is an indirect dopamine agonist) and is effective for lowering prolactin and raising dopamine, but less effective than drugs like bromocriptine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/263321

"...The dopamine agonist, pyridoxine, was administered to 10 children being evaluated for short stature. Serum GH and PRL responses were contrasted to those after insulin-induced hypoglycemia (ITT) and L-dopa administration. Levels of GH did not change after pyridoxine, but PRL fell (P less than 0.05) to 42% of the zero time concentration."

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... %3dpubmed&

"...These studies demonstrate that pharmacological doses of Be reduce the proestrous PRL surge and that this reduction may be at least partially due to a direct effect on the pituitary, inasmuch as B6 decreased the PRL rise after α-MPT and/or TRH administration."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/925127

"...A single iv dose of pyridoxine (V) (300 mg) caused a significant decrease in the concentration of serum thyrotropin (TSH) in 6 patients with primary hypothyroidism. There was no consistent change in serum thyroxine and triiodothyronine concentrations suring the experiment. The serum prolactin (PRL) levels were also suppressed by pyridoxine administration. These findings suggest that pyridoxine inhibits TSH secretion as well PRL by a direct action on the hypothalamus or pituitary gland."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/562688

"...I.V. administration of 300 mg. Pyridoxine caused an acute fall in prolactin (PRL) plasma levels in six normal subjects. Like levodopa, pyridoxine suppressed the increase in PRL secretion induced by treatment with pimozide, a specific dopamine receptor blocking agent. These findings further support the hypothesis that vitamin B6 stimulates dopaminergic activity at hypothalamic and/or hypophyseal level."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/945301

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1254699

"...A single dose of pyridoxine (300 mg iv) produced significant rises in peak levels of immunoreactive growth hormone GH and significant decrease of plasma prolactin PRL in 8 hospitalized healthy subjects. Serum glucose, luteinizing hormone LH, follicle stimulating hormone FSH and thyrotropin TSH were not altered significantly. In addition, in 5 acromegalic patients who were studied with both L-dopa and pyridoxine, inhibition of GH secretion followed either agent in a similar pattern. These data suggest a hypothalamic dopaminergic effect of pyridoxine."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2269609

"...A schizophrenic patient with severe neuroleptic-induced Parkinsonism and Tardive Dyskinesia is presented in whom administration of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) (100 mg/d) resulted in dramatic and persistent attenuation of the movement disorders as well as reduction of psychotic behavior. Since pyridoxine deficiency is associated with marked reduction of cerebral serotonin concentrations and pineal melatonin production in rats, the effects of pyridoxine on the movement disorder and psychosis may have been mediated largely by enhancing serotonin and melatonin functions. An additional effect of excess pyridoxine administration on GABA and dopamine activity cannot be excluded. Pyridoxine has been reported to attenuate the severity of levodopa-induced dyskinesias in patients with Parkinson's disease and it is suggested that pyridoxine supplementation should be considered in psychiatric patients with drug-induced movement disorders including persistent Parkinsonism."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/501547

"...Pyridoxine hydrochloride significantly suppressed the chlorpromazine-induced prolactin rise (p less than 0.01). However, the suppression was significantly less than that produced by bromocriptine (p less than 0.01). Pyridoxal hydrochloride, another natural form of vitamin B6, failed to suppress prolactin under the conditions of both studies. This investigation may lend support to the concept that pyridoxine hydrochloride partially inhibits prolactin by a mechanism not involving dopamine."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20170

"...500 mg of levodopa was administered orally to 8 normal subjects and induced an increase of growth hormone (GH) and a decrease of prolactin (PRL) secretion. The levodopa-induced GH release was inhibited by an intravenous infusion of pyridoxine; on the contrary, the PRL response to levodopa was enhanced by pyridoxine infusion. This dissociation of GH and PRL responses to levodopa during pyridoxine infusion appears to be mediated by peripheral acceleration of the conversion of levodopa to dopamine. Since dopamine does not penetrate the blood-brain barrier, the enhanced PRL decrease observed during pyridoxine infusion might be explained only on the basis of a mechanism of action exerted by dopamine on extra blood-brain barrier sites."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1117978

"...One gram of L-dopa was administered orally to 12 male control subjects and induced an increase of growth hormone (GH) secretion. The L-dopa-induced GH response was inhibited by an intravenous infusion of pyridoxine, but pyridoxine did not inhibit the GH response to hypoglycemia. Chlorpromazine also inhibited L-dopa-induced GH stimulation. Glucose concentrations were unaffected by L-dopa, chlorpromazine, and pyridoxine administration in these subjects. The mechanism of the suppressed L-dopa-induced GH response by pyridoxine appears to be mediated by peripheral accleration of the conversion of L-dopa to dopamine, while that of chlorpromazine appears to be mediated through hypothalamic centers. Pyridoxine and chlorpromazine should be added to the list of other factors affecting the response to L-dopa-induced GH stimulation."

Peata

FWIW, A few months ago I was taking pyroxidine daily, 25 - 100 mg. A cheap, generic brand. I noticed on the higher dose that I felt better mentally and lost water weight and breasts stopped swelling. I was afraid to stay on it at the higher dose because I'd read about nerve damage. Since then I've mostly taken P5P, but haven't had the same noticeable effect as I did on B6.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I decided to try it since I'm waiting on my lisuride delivery. I can tell my scalp is feeling better. An irritated area where a medieval monk would have a tonsure is always one of the signs of increasing prolactin for me. I'm glad you posted this because it has made the discomfort easier to tolerate.

honeybee

That's interesting Blossom. I used to get. A little sore spot on the top of my head-it was irritating but I never thought much of it. It's gone now that I have been upping my bvits. How do you know this is a sign of prolactin dominance?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
honeybee said:
That's interesting Blossom. I used to get. A little sore spot on the top of my head-it was irritating but I never thought much of it. It's gone now that I have been upping my bvits. How do you know this is a sign of prolactin dominance?
I had the symptom years ago when I was under medical treatment for a prolactinoma. My prolactin at the time was in the 120 range and I took high doses of bromocriptine as treatment. That experience taught me to recognize my bodies signs of elevated prolactin.

Green

I'm also getting that pain at the top of my head and other signs of high prolactin. Hair loss is a big sign.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Green said:
I'm also getting that pain at the top of my head and other signs of high prolactin. Hair loss is a big sign.
I rarely get that anymore thankfully and wondered if I might after stopping lisuride. My prolactin was 10.9 a month or two ago and that's the lowest reading I've ever had. Even when I was on high doses of bromocriptine years ago my prolactin was never lower than 15! Lately I have about 5 mg b-6 weekly and that seems to be working out well. My mom mentioned having that sensation on her scalp when I saw her last and when I told her what it might be she thought I was crazy. Oh well, it's nice we can discuss these issues here because it seems like there aren't many people who understand.

Green

Blossom said:
Green said:
I rarely get that anymore thankfully and wondered if I might after stopping lisuride. My prolactin was 10.9 a month or two ago and that's the lowest reading I've ever had. Even when I was on high doses of bromocriptine years ago my prolactin was never lower than 15! Lately I have about 5 mg b-6 weekly and that seems to be working out well.

5mg of b-6, but also lisuride and cypro?

Blossom said:
My mom mentioned having that sensation on her scalp when I saw her last and when I told her what it might be she thought I was crazy. Oh well, it's nice we can discuss these issues here because it seems like there aren't many people who understand.

I agree. Should us forum users establish a self sufficient community? :cool:

BingDing

My lab results say prolactin range is 3-20 ng/mL and "reference range applies to children and adults" without saying anything about male or female. For some other hormones the same lab gives ranges for males.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
khan said:
What is the desired prolactin values in lab test for man?
According to what I've read on the forum 4-7ng/ml is the desirable range for males.

Katty

If B6 lowers prolactin, why would B6 cause acne? Isn't acne often a problem of higher prolactin levels? Is B6 depleting some other vitamin/mineral, thus resulting in acne?

tomisonbottom

If B6 lowers prolactin, why would B6 cause acne? Isn't acne often a problem of higher prolactin levels? Is B6 depleting some other vitamin/mineral, thus resulting in acne?

What is making you think B6 causes acne?

docall18

I had my prolactin tested yesterday. It was high at 27.2 range 4-12.2.

I have been taking 50mg p5p for close to a year. This is the highest I have ever seen my prolactin.

My estradiol and testosterone was both at the top of their ranges.
My TSH was at 0.055. Have been gaining weight and losing libido.

Not sure what is going on. Am going to reduce my thyroid dose. Possibly high thyroid is jacking up testosterone and thus conversion to E2.

Might alternatively try bromo/caber...

Katty

What is making you think B6 causes acne?
When I was taking it, I would get acne - and it was different from usual acne. I would get it in places where I never get acne otherwise. As soon as I stopped taking it, the acne stopped. I suppose it could be random, but I hadn't changed any other factors in diet or lifestyle at the time.

Gl;itch.e

I had my prolactin tested yesterday. It was high at 27.2 range 4-12.2.

I have been taking 50mg p5p for close to a year. This is the highest I have ever seen my prolactin.

My estradiol and testosterone was both at the top of their ranges.
My TSH was at 0.055. Have been gaining weight and losing libido.

Not sure what is going on. Am going to reduce my thyroid dose. Possibly high thyroid is jacking up testosterone and thus conversion to E2.

Might alternatively try bromo/caber...
How's your stress levels?

docall18

How's your stress levels?
Generally not stressed, however had been drinking the day before testing.

Have started bromocriptine. Will retest after a few days. It feels like it lowers cortisol levels.

How it appears to me is: Previously I ran on adrenaline. B6 reduced adrenaline and then cortisol/prolactin/estrogen took over.

For some reason my body doesn't want to run on thyroid..

Generally not stressed, however had been drinking the day before testing.

Have started bromocriptine. Will retest after a few days. It feels like it lowers cortisol levels.

How it appears to me is: Previously I ran on adrenaline. B6 reduced adrenaline and then cortisol/prolactin/estrogen took over.

For some reason my body doesn't want to run on thyroid..

How are you doing now? you ever figure any of your problem out?

Tracy Ghani

I decided to try it since I'm waiting on my lisuride delivery. I can tell my scalp is feeling better. An irritated area where a medieval monk would have a tonsure is always one of the signs of increasing prolactin for me. I'm glad you posted this because it has made the discomfort easier to tolerate.
hey there. About two months ago i missed my period and i was hoping at 48 i wasnt pregnant, and thought it was possible change of life! So i went to my doctor and had them check my hormones,and when the results came back i was neigther pregnant OR going through my changes! They found out my prolactin levels were real high! Scared me, since i never had anything wrong with me in my life and they scheduled me for an mri. they retested me again and my prolactin went from an 80,down to a 40.much better.But then went to 57,and i heard they fluctuate. my regular doctor told me at this level, not to even mess with medications, but keep an eye on it. I went on the computor and read up on this so much it was driving me crazy wondering why this is happening. But i did read that vitamin B 6 was great for lowering these levels, and on my own i started to take 100 mgs.Three weeks later, i got my period! Im hoping this is what did it. havent had it for about two months or im sure even longer.Still have an appointment at the endocrinologist for mid january, but not for an MRI.Im really hoping the vitamin B 6 did it, and i am also taking mega reds. Started excercising too. Hopefully this is an alternative to medication. I feel that from being a health nut and weighing 125lbs, then an injuring which had me gain weight (like 70) threw my body off. i would excercise five miles five days a week,and in my head, im all screwed up from all this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Good luck to you @Tracy Ghani. I find b6 helpful and about 10 mgs per day is the amount Peat has recommended so you may be able to keep your prolactin in check with a fraction of your current dose. I have a pituitary tumor so I've used medicine as well but I currently don't need it as long as my diet is good and I keep stress down. I still use b6 regularly though.