Vitamin B6 Increases Serotonin, Regardless of Serotonin Levels - PUBMED

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate effects of pyridoxine and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) on lipid peroxidation and on levels of 5-hydroxytryptophan and serotonin.

Methods: Thirty rats (30 days of age) were used in the survey, measuring levels of lipid peroxidation (TBARS), hemoglobin, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), and serotonin (5-HT) after intraperitoneal (i.p.) injections of 4 and 10 mg/kg/day of pyridoxine HCl during 20 days and a single dose of 2 microM/kg (440 microg) of BHT.

Results: Levels of TBARS and 5-HTP increased considerably (p <0.05) in all vitamin- and/or BHT-treated groups, and 5-HT increased partially (p <0.05) only in B(6) with or without BHT-treated groups compared with control group.

Conclusions: Results suggest that pyridoxine plays a role in tryptophan metabolism, increasing production of 5-HTP.

Perry Staltic

I don't take BHT with B6. Rats aren't human. I can't get to the full study to see what they did.

Perry Staltic

I found the full paper. It's hard for me to tell from the wording what exactly they did, but it sounds like they're used insanely high doses; like up to 10 mg/kg/day; maybe even higher. That would be 1000 mg/day for a 100 kg person.

cs3000

Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate effects of pyridoxine and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) on lipid peroxidation and on levels of 5-hydroxytryptophan and serotonin.

Methods: Thirty rats (30 days of age) were used in the survey, measuring levels of lipid peroxidation (TBARS), hemoglobin, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), and serotonin (5-HT) after intraperitoneal (i.p.) injections of 4 and 10 mg/kg/day of pyridoxine HCl during 20 days and a single dose of 2 microM/kg (440 microg) of BHT.

Results: Levels of TBARS and 5-HTP increased considerably (p <0.05) in all vitamin- and/or BHT-treated groups, and 5-HT increased partially (p <0.05) only in B(6) with or without BHT-treated groups compared with control group.

Conclusions: Results suggest that pyridoxine plays a role in tryptophan metabolism, increasing production of 5-HTP.

that study is a concern , that's pyridoxine so if conversion is efficient it's maybe 5x less strong than P5P?

low dose was ~40mg & high dose ~100mg human equivalent.
in p5p terms 8mg - 20mg

they said their diet intake didn't effect vitamin levels so can disregard that amount

*probably a lot of people here / in general taking doses ~ 8mg-20mg p5p

5-HTP levels jacked up massively in both the groups combined with the extra substance or just b6 alone. the 8mg P5P / 20mg pyridoxine group had a rise in serotonin too. but the 20mg p5p/ 100mg pyridoxine group showed lower serotonin.

so b6 increases conversion of tryptophan to 5-htp? which can create more serotonin

human study 5-hydroxytryptophan and pyridoxine. Their effects in young children with Down's syndrome - PubMed

"The analysis of 5-hydroxyindole blood levels revealed that 5-hydroxytryptophan, pyridoxine, and the combination of 5-hydroxytryptophan and pyridoxine raised blood levels of 5-hydroxyindole equally well in 40% of the children"

5-hydroxyindole = 5-HIAA pretty sure (serotonin metabolite showing increased serotonin levels)

another human study https://publications.aap.org/pediat...ydrochloride-on-Blood?redirectedFrom=fulltext

The contents of serotonin (hydroxytryptamine) and pyridoxal phosphate (PLP) in the blood of 11 hyperactive children and 11 controls were determined on an outpatient basis. A significant decrease in serotonin content was found in blood samples from hyperactive patients as compared with controls. There were no differences in PLP content of blood between the two groups. Four children were selected for a study of the effects of pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6) on low serotonin levels. Oral doses of pyridoxine resulted in an appreciable increase in the serotonin content and a very large increase in the PLP content of blood in these hyperactive patients.

another one Europe PMC
A small sample of six patients with the putative "hyperkinetic syndrome" participated in a research protocol comparing administration of pyridoxine, methylphenidate, and placeboes. The children had had low whole blood serotonin levels and a history of previous responsiveness to methylphenidate. The results of the double-blind clinical evaluation showed trends suggesting that both pyridoxine and methylphenidate were more effective than placebo in suppressing the symptoms of hyperkinesis. Pyridoxine elevated whole-blood serotonin levels, methylphenidate did not. Clinical and laboratory evidence indicated that the pyridoxine effects persisted after the 3-week period when the vitamin had been given in this experimental design.

I was just about to get some seeing some of the benefits posted but that's put me off

Last edited: