Vitamin B6 Increases Serotonin, Regardless of Serotonin Levels - PUBMED

Lokzo

Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate effects of pyridoxine and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) on lipid peroxidation and on levels of 5-hydroxytryptophan and serotonin.

Methods: Thirty rats (30 days of age) were used in the survey, measuring levels of lipid peroxidation (TBARS), hemoglobin, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), and serotonin (5-HT) after intraperitoneal (i.p.) injections of 4 and 10 mg/kg/day of pyridoxine HCl during 20 days and a single dose of 2 microM/kg (440 microg) of BHT.

Results: Levels of TBARS and 5-HTP increased considerably (p <0.05) in all vitamin- and/or BHT-treated groups, and 5-HT increased partially (p <0.05) only in B(6) with or without BHT-treated groups compared with control group.

Conclusions: Results suggest that pyridoxine plays a role in tryptophan metabolism, increasing production of 5-HTP.

Perry Staltic

I don't take BHT with B6. Rats aren't human. I can't get to the full study to see what they did.

Perry Staltic

I found the full paper. It's hard for me to tell from the wording what exactly they did, but it sounds like they're used insanely high doses; like up to 10 mg/kg/day; maybe even higher. That would be 1000 mg/day for a 100 kg person.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Vitamin D Inhibits Serotonin Reuptake [SERT], Inhibits Serotonin Degradation [MAO], And Increases Se Scientific Studies 49
haidut Vitamin D Lowers Gut Serotonin But Increases Brain Serotonin D 25
Mauritio Vitamin E Succinate Very Effective Against Liver Carcinoma ,acetate Form Increases It E 21
haidut Vitamin D/K Combo Increases Penis Size As Much As Surgery Scientific Studies 92
Constatine Excess Vitamin A Increases Testosterone Levels By Seven Fold In Mice A 17
bignamer Egg Fermentation Increases Vitamin K2 Levels And Eliminates Antinutrients Eggs 47
Lokzo Vitamin A Increases Glucocorticoid Receptor Phosphorylation Via Cyclin-dependent Kinase 5 Scientific Studies 1
A Vitamin C Increases Growth Hormones Vitamins 14
haidut Vitamin E Deficiency Increases Risk Of Tuberculosis (TB) Infection Scientific Studies 5
W Chronic Vitamin E Administration Improves Brachial Reactivity And Increases Intracellular Magnesium Scientific Studies 6
haidut Vitamin A Increases DHT By Enhancing 5-alpha Reductase Scientific Studies 25
H Does Drinking Milk Increases The Need For MORE Vitamin A? Milk 8
J Vitamin K2 increases testosterone production in rats Articles & Scientific Studies 3
G How relevant are serum vitamin tests? Vitamins 0
D Vitamin D Always High! Blood Work, Labs 7
Q Is Vitamin D induced serotonin syndrome possible? Please hear me out... Ask For Help or Advice 56
T VItamin D Megadose accident, what to do Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
N Home made vitamin D... Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
bzmazu Why politicians and doctors keep ignoring the medical research on Vitamin D and Covid Rant or Rave 2
S I think vitamin K2 ruined my life. Vitamins 75
S Fluorescent pee after b vitamin supp, Normal?! Ask For Help or Advice 15
Hirri Suddenly lower Vitamin D question Vitamins 9
Pistachio Vitamin K2's effect on Lunulae (fingernail crescents) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Ras How can Vitamin K2 MK-4 be Price's Activator X? K 10
R Interesting podcast on dangers of vitamin E supplementation E 1
Mauritio Cistanche more effective at decreasing lipid peroxidation and free radicals than Vitamin E and Caffeine Science 30
J Vitamin d powder Ask For Help or Advice 8
Mito The efficacy of Vitamin K in the treatment of cancer K 1
Brandin vitamin e to balance eggs pufa. Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 15
G How many of you have gotten Vitamin D injections? D 10
Mito Vitamin D Supplementation Ameliorates Metabolic Dysfunction in Patients with PCOS D 0
deliciousfruit Does liver from grain-fed animals contain vitamin A? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 2
C Vitamin D lamp? D 17
M Vitamin D3 makes me feel cold D 16
P Vitamin B12 Facilitates the Retroconversion of Estrogens into Androgens by Bacteria Scientific Studies 3
R Is vitamin K2 required when taking Vitamin D? Vitamins 16
Charger Blunted Emotions from Vitamin K2? K 8
bzmazu Hey Drinkers....The case for Vitamin-Enriched Alcohol Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 3
Mito The efficacy of vitamin E in reducing non-alcoholic fatty liver disease E 0
ecstatichamster how do you oxidize vitamin C safely? C 8
Mito The Inhibitory Roles of Vitamin K in Progression of Vascular Calcification K 0
haidut Fasting ups estrogen & cortisol, decimates vitamin D, may cause diabetes Scientific Studies 18
haidut Vitamin D prevents cortisol-induced depression and...inflammation Scientific Studies 0
haidut Vitamin D is anti-catabolic / anabolic, protects liver from cortisol injury Scientific Studies 2
metabolizm Vitamin D Supplementation is Improving my Sleep D 23
Lokzo This B-Vitamin Can Raise Dopamine (Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide - TTFD) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 58
A Cheap Vitamin C products, any contamination risk? Ask For Help or Advice 8
J Interesting study claims Vitamin K2 should be classified as a hormone Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
Lokzo The Ameliorating Effects Of Vitamin E On Hepatotoxicity Of Ecstasy Scientific Studies 0
M I’m Not Convinced Vitamin D Should Be Supplemented D 152