Vitamin B2 (R5P) Approved As A Drug For Treating Keratoconus

haidut

Forum Supporter
Continuing a long and distinguished tradition of simultaneous disdain for OTC vitamins and approval for "drugs" using vitamins, the FDA has approved the topical use of vitamin B2 in the form of riboflavin '5 phosphate (R5P) as a treatment for progressive keratoconus.

FDA approves Avedro’s cross-linking system for progressive keratoconus

"...The FDA has approved the KXL System and two photoenhancers for corneal collagen cross-linking treatment of progressive keratoconus, according to a press release from Avedro. The photoenhancers are Photrexa 0.146%, a riboflavin 5’-phosphate solution, and Photrexa Viscous 0.146%, a riboflavin 5’-phosphate in 20% dextran ophthalmic solution."

Given that the vitamin B6 isomer pyridoxamine is already banned for OTC sale in the USA, and P5P and biotin may face a similar fate given their wild success in clinical trials, we may soon be forced to pay $1000 for a bottle of vitamin B complex. I think the FDA is listening way too much to guys like this:
Martin Shkreli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

aguilaroja

... the FDA has approved the topical use of vitamin B2 in the form of riboflavin '5 phosphate (R5P) as a treatment...

Yes. For instance, there has been murmuring for years, since Lester Packer's early work, that alpha-lipoic acid would be re-classified as a pharmaceutical. Some years back I heard a presentation by two Linus Pauling Institute (!) scientists who were working to get a patent on a form of topical niacin.

There have also been strong suggestions for many years that pyridoxal-5-phosphate (P5P) should be regulated as a pharmaceutical, partly on the basis of cautions about high doses of the pyridoxine form of B6. (Readers here well understand that the hospitalizations and deaths attributed to single categories of pharmaceuticals far outweigh the total amount of bad reactions to nutrients.)

Hopefully, sunlight will not soon be classified as a pharmaceutical, to leave us one source for vitamin D.

CoolTweetPete

I sometimes wonder how they get away with this type of nonsense when it's so transparent.

X3CyO

is a hero, listening to his YT.is highly recommended

Yeah. Didn't he give away the pill to people without insurance for a dollar, and then people with insurance would have their insurance companies pay him for research into other drugs?

I remember a while back easily finding information regarding his reasoning, but now its all negative press and warped wording. Now you can only hear it directly from his youtube channel.

Its concerning to see the process of information censorship happen right before my eyes.

lvysaur

Yeah. Didn't he give away the pill to people without insurance for a dollar, and then people with insurance would have their insurance companies pay him for research into other drugs?.

if someone could summarize the whole Martin incident that'd be great. Or point us in the direction of an unbiased source.

X3CyO

if someone could summarize the whole Martin incident that'd be great. Or point us in the direction of an unbiased source.

His youtube. Everything else is negative, but the story as far as what I understand is that he was taking money from drug insurance to do his own research into curing very rare diseases by making people who have insurance have their company pay him, and for people who didnt have insurance, he would just send the people the drug for free so long as they payed for shipping or so.

smith

Wow, the media made it sound like it was the complete opposite, that he was just increasing the price and charging people more. Opposing authority and system is apparently a sin on par with murder, considering it's punishable by a fate just as bad or worse in this case. I wonder if those "obey" t-shirts are still in style

Last edited:

X3CyO

He was literally at the forefront fighting big pharma and everyone just took his cockiness to mean he was a bad guy rather than that he was just killing it and found a loophole where he could make money off bad guys and give to good guys while also helping the most unfortunate.

As for which form is more effective. Idk. Someone will eventually pop into this post with more information than me..

Good luck