Vitamin B2 May Be Effective Against (osteo) Arthritis

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think the mechanisms of action of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) are likely to make is a possible candidate for treating several inflammatory conditions, and I posted some studies about that already. This study shows that a low dose vitamin B2 course for 4 months may be able to help conditions with structural damage of the bone such as osteoarthritis and osteopenia, especially when occurring in the knee (which happens to be the most common place of occurrence). I don't see why the same beneficial effects would not also be seen in arthrosis of the hip, which is a devastating condition affecting majority of people over 60 and generating tens of billions of dollars a year revenue for the hip surgery industry.
The human equivalent oral dose of vitamin B2 was just 0.08mg/kg, which for most people translates into a daily oral dose of 5mg - 8mg, and that is perfectly in line with Peat's recommendations of taking no more than 5mg - 10mg vitamin B2 daily to avoid the oxidative damage it may cause in combination with intensive sunlight.

[Effect of riboflavin (vitamin B2) on spontaneous gonarthrosis in the mouse]. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Male mice of the C57 black strain were given 1 mg/kg body weight of riboflavin (vitamin B2) in their drinking water daily for 4 months, in addition to the vitamin B2 contained in their standard pellet feed. Controls received the standard feed only. Histological examination of the joints at the end of the experiment showed that the incidence of gonarthrosis in the group given supplementary riboflavin was less than half that found in the controls; the number of mice with bilateral gonarthrosis was also considerably smaller, and the severity of the lesions less marked. Signs of physiological degeneration in the epiphyseal cartilage of the femoral and tibial condyles were only marginally less pronounced than in the controls. The notable inhibitory effect of riboflavin, which is known to promote regenerative processes, on osteoarthritis was compared with that of drugs stimulating wound healing, e.g. flavonoids, tribenoside, and zinc sulfate. These latter substances were also found to exert a similar inhibitory effect on spontaneous gonarthrosis in the mouse."

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/suppl_2/3.full.pdf
"...Several studies have suggested that, at least in animal models, the risk and severity of OA may be modified by diet. Fats and calcium may increase the risk of OA [79–81], while riboflavin (vitamin B2) and selenium may decrease the risk [82–84]."

Jac

What else could help with the treatment of (osteo)arthritis? Any other supplement recommendations please? My parents suffer a lot from this. Thank you

David PS

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What else could help with the treatment of (osteo)arthritis? Any other supplement recommendations please? My parents suffer a lot from this. Thank you

Aspirin, gelatin, anti-serotonin drugs, etc. Did you search the forum?

TreasureVibe

Thanks for these links and info. I will definitely have a a look. I read that high doses of vit B6 can be helpful as well. Omega 3 & Glucasimine & chondroitin is another one that might help from what I read.
Omega 3 = PUFA = bad!

PecosRiver

@haidut - I can think of only one place that has B2 in the dosage level you and Ray are recommending. On Amazon the lowest non-complex B offerings of just straight B2 is around 100mg. I've got a couple of bottles of these (bought a 2 pack), and I'd hate to throw them out. Can taking one of these 100 mg dosages once every 3-4 days still provide a daily benefit and reduce the negatives of overloading on B2?

PecosRiver

@haidut - I can think of only one place that has B2 in the dosage level you and Ray are recommending. On Amazon the lowest non-complex B offerings of just straight B2 is around 100mg. I've got a couple of bottles of these (bought a 2 pack), and I'd hate to throw them out. Can taking one of these 100 mg dosages once every 3-4 days still provide a daily benefit and reduce the negatives of overloading on B2?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I'd say yes, but on the days when you take it I would avoid bright sunlight exposure to reduce risk of high oxidation stress.