Vitamin B2 (FAD) (not Light) May Control The Circadian Clock

Amazoniac

I didn't make the connection when you posted but the implication for this is probably that blue light is needed to interact with riboflavin (you would expect that Travisord refered to it as Warburg's yellow pigment) and signal daytime. I don't know if heat lamps for example provide enough blue for this purpose.

Amazoniac

The Rods and Cones of the Human Eye
Rods Do Not See Red!

The light response of the rods peaks sharply in the blue; they respond very little to red light. This leads to some interesting phenomena:

Red rose at twilight: In bright light, the color-sensitive cones are predominant and we see a brilliant red rose with somewhat more subdued green leaves. But at twilight, the less-sensitive cones begin to shut down for the night, and most of the vision comes from the rods. The rods pick up the green from the leaves much more strongly than the red from the petals, so the green leaves become brighter than the red petals!

The ship captain has red instrument lights. Since the rods do not respond to red, the captain can gain full dark-adapted vision with the rods with which to watch for icebergs and other obstacles outside. It would be undesirable to examine anything with white light even for a moment, because the attainment of optimum night-vision may take up to a half-hour. Red lights do not spoil it.

These phenomena arise from the nature of the rod-dominated dark-adapted vision, called scotopic vision.

Purkinje effect - Wikipedia
The insensitivity of rods to long-wavelength light has led to the use of red lights under certain special circumstances – for example, in the control rooms of submarines, in research laboratories, aircraft, or during naked-eye astronomy.[8]

Under conditions where it is desirable to have both the photopic and scotopic systems active, red lights provide a solution. Submarines are well lit to facilitate the vision of the crew members working there, but the control room must be lit differently to allow crew members to read instrument panels yet remain dark adjusted. By using red lights, or wearing red goggles, the cones can receive enough light to provide photopic vision (namely the high-acuity vision required for reading). The rods are not saturated by the bright red light because they are not sensitive to long-wavelength light, so the crew members remain dark adapted.[9] Similarly, airplane cockpits use red lights so pilots can read their instruments and maps while maintaining night vision to see outside the aircraft.

Red lights are also often used in research settings. Many research animals (such as rats and mice) have limited photopic vision, as they have far fewer cone photoreceptors.[10] By using red lights, the animal subjects are kept "in the dark" (the active period for nocturnal animals), but the human researchers, who have one kind of cone (the "L cone") that is sensitive to long wavelengths, are able to read instruments or perform procedures that would be impractical even with fully dark adapted (but low acuity) scotopic vision.[11] For the same reason, zoo displays of nocturnal animals often are illuminated with red light.
__
Adaptation (eye) - Wikipedia
Long wavelengths, such as extreme red, create the absence of a distinct rod/cone break as the rod and cone cells have similar sensitivities to light of long wavelengths. Conversely at short wavelengths the rod/cone break is more prominent, because the rod cells are much more sensitive than cones once the rods have dark adapted.[11]

Nokoni

I've been thinking about light and sleep recently because of reading about the electric universe cosmology, which theorizes that the earth was once a satellite of a brown dwarf and experienced no night/day distinction, and that most of the light would have been in the red/infrared. And it made me wonder how the humans at the time wouldn't have all been insomniacs. I'd love to see an experiment that tried to replicate these hypothesized conditions and see how humans responded.
Hi Denise. I believe the brown dwarf in question was Saturn, per the electric universe folks. They also say that Earth rotated around inside its photosphere, resulting in continuous light. And that Saturn, with Earth, Mars, and Venus in tow, was independent of the solar system but then wandered too close to the sun and was captured by the sun. This then caused its electrical properties to be reversed because of the much greater electrical power of the sun, and Saturn's glow was extinguished. (That part requires electrical engineering knowledge to even state properly, but the gist may not be too far off.) It also resulted in major instabilities that caused Earth, Mars, and Venus to also be captured by the sun, and in the process of moving to a new equilibrium, Venus passed close by Mars and destroyed it. (The entire northern hemisphere of Mars has been excavated to a depth of 10 kilometers.) It also passed by Earth but less closely, which resulted in the sky being filled with stable but slowly evolving electrical discharge patterns, and possibly the excavation of the Grand Canyon and the Red Sea. It was these electrical discharge patterns, they believe, that gave rise to the dragon theme in so many ancient cultures that had never been in contact with one another.

And the insomnia question is also interesting. Perhaps red light does not suppress melatonin, but I use a red light panel and at one time I slept with it strapped to my back and just the extra ambient light was disruptive, so I'm not sure how they might have managed.

Antonello

@haidut What do you think is the reason for this wide spread riboflavin deficiency?
If dietary measure are taken and stress is under control what could be an external stressor that interact so strong with our riboflavin stores?

InChristAlone

@haidut What do you think is the reason for this wide spread riboflavin deficiency?
If dietary measure are taken and stress is under control what could be an external stressor that interact so strong with our riboflavin stores?
Could it be vitamin A overload?

J

jb116

First and foremost I'd say fats. Fat increases the need for riboflavin. You better believe we'll see an influx of b2 deficiency in this high fat/ketogenic culture. I'd also say blue light exposure as it is damaging to b2.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals