Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) Deficiency: The "Great Imitator" Of Other Illnesses

Tarmander

I have been taking benfo for the last week and I have to say it is much different then thiamine HCL. I am surprised how different because I used to chug down Thiamine HCL and it was meh, but this stuff actually has an effect.

Blood sugar control is much better with my Dexcom showing a flat blood sugar line where it used to spike a bit more. Going to continue and see what other nice things occur.

I have been taking benfo for the last week and I have to say it is much different then thiamine HCL. I am surprised how different because I used to chug down Thiamine HCL and it was meh, but this stuff actually has an effect.

Blood sugar control is much better with my Dexcom showing a flat blood sugar line where it used to spike a bit more. Going to continue and see what other nice things occur.

I've been on Benfo for the past week as well. While Thiamine Hcl made me tired and weak in doses above 50 mg, Benfo makes me more alert. Don't notice muscular weakness or strength.

The 250 mg Life Extension capsule feels pretty strong so after Monday I've been taking only half (with some fat).

I've eaten a cup of white rice and 2 kgs of green grapes every day since Monday and it's all vanishing despite only one workout. Normally I would only eat half a cup of rice every day if I workout every other day. But I even felt during my workout that I had not eaten enough carbs.

Mauritio

wow sounds like a good thing to try this benfo thiamine!

Can a person simply take high doses of thiamine? Like 1000mg a day

Hi EH, ever since I read Dr. Peat say that the bar exam candidates could access everything they learned if they took thiamine the day before examination during study and then directly before the exam, I've been experimenting with varying doses of thiamine hcl. All futile because the more I would take the more tired and demotivated I would get. I didn't figure out why at the time but came across Dr. Weil's webpage yesterday where he says drowsiness and muscular fatigue is a common side effect of thiamine supplementation (above 100mg?).

When Charlie revived Dr. Lonsdale's ideas, I remembered B1 was also critical for glucose oxidation and wanted to experiment again. Only if I tapped 5-20 mg thiamine hcl out of the capsule with a meal did I not experience too much discomfort but there was certainly no perceivable benefit.

I was attracted to Benfo over Alli or Lippo because I tend to want to maximize utility (17 bucks vs 30-40). Lonsdale prefers the latter two and isnt a fan of Benfo (because of some enzymatic reaction it has to undergo before being useful?) but I have not noticed a problem and feel that my body has been able to use it considering how much starch (white rice, Dutch potatoes) I've had to add to my diet in order to have energy in the gym. I wasn't taking Benfo for cognitive benefits but I may test it if I decide to go down the CPA route.

Side note, I'm not trying to bash thiamine hcl, even though my last few posts have not been positive about it. Maybe the brand I was using was garbage (Swanson.. I haven't forgotten their TRAACS magnesium scandal). Benfotiamine is just so much better. I trust Japanese innovation.

Last edited:

Mauritio

Benfotiamine increases glucose oxidation and downregulates NADPH oxidase 4 expression in cultured human myotubes exposed to both normal and high glucose concentrations

" Benfotiamine significantly increased glucose oxidation under normoglycemic (35 and 49% increase at 100 and 200 μM benfotiamine, respectively) as well as hyperglycemic conditions (70% increase at 200 μM benfotiamine). Benfotiamine also increased glucose uptake. In comparison, thiamine (200 μM) increased overall glucose metabolism but did not change glucose oxidation"

I've been taking benfo. I have been gaining like 5 pounds the past week. However, strangely, my pants aren't any tighter. If anything they are looser. I'm going to continue. I'm taking 100mg a day. And about 100mg or so of niacinamide spread out over 3 doses.

I'm not happy about this sudden weight gain either. But I don't think it is fat gain.

Just glancing around I noticed Dr. Berg is pretty different in approach than Peat. He seems aligned with the whole idea that low-carb is ideal for diabetes 2, which kind of goes against the idea here that restricting carbs is usually not a solution but maybe a band-aid at best for certain illnesses.

Not saying he makes bad points with B1, but at what level we can consider something "anti-Peat" is probably always going to be debatable. For example, people will -- on the surface level at least -- might be bound to consider anyone pro carbs, dairy, sugar, salt, etc. to be Peaty. The thing is when we branch out or approach subjects differently you get a mixed up idea on Peat-like principles and kind of thinking somewhat outside the "Peat box" you could say (like with the whole Vit. A toxicity & such).

But also, isn't it true that many deficiencies can technically mimic various conditions anyways? I don't think this is limited to B1 problems only. Niacin/stomach/brain are connected too, along with the addition of various other combinations everything can work in.

Tarmander

I've been taking benfo. I have been gaining like 5 pounds the past week. However, strangely, my pants aren't any tighter. If anything they are looser. I'm going to continue. I'm taking 100mg a day. And about 100mg or so of niacinamide spread out over 3 doses.

I'm not happy about this sudden weight gain either. But I don't think it is fat gain.
I have gained a few pounds as well..I thought it might have been some licorice in one of the supplements I was testing out but maybe it's the benfo?

redsun

I have gained a few pounds as well..I thought it might have been some licorice in one of the supplements I was testing out but maybe it's the benfo?

I've read in other forums that large doses of B1 will deplete B2 faster. And this is likely the case for sure if you are dosing regularly. B2 is needed for burning fat and activating the other B-vitamins. You are likely losing the ability to burn fats.

Read what I wrote to tarmander. Are you supplementing the other Bs in some what similar doses? It appears too easy to disrupt the other Bs when not supplementing others. B1 will drop B2 and no doubt the others. You gained a few pounds, which is likely fat but because thiamine is very good at reducing edema you are holding on to less water in general.

It is probably a good idea to always have the other Bs supplemented then higher doses of one will not cause imbalance. Just my 2 cents.

For example my B complex:

25mg B1
20mg B2
25mg B3
5mg B6
400mcg folic acid
1mg biotin
5.5mg pantothenic acid
60mg vitamin C

And along with that I have been dosing 100mg B2 and 2g vitamin C per meal for a personal experiment. That way I always have a baseline to keep up with higher doses of B2(or B1 in your case). I can take the B complex as many times as I need or even just once a day. But its always there to back up my higher doses of B2 and C. I have never not screwed myself from just taking a few Bs and not taking others.

Hildy

"In this video, Dr. Berg talks about vitamin B deficiency. Transketolase is the enzyme for vitamin B deficiency test. Enzymes are the things that do the work in the body and B1 is involved in 5 different enzymes. Vitamin B1 deficiency is called Beri Beri and known as a great mimicker of disease. He also talks about several reasons to why you become deficient in B1."

That was VERY interesting! Thanks for posting this!

Hildy

Hi EH, ever since I read Dr. Peat say that the bar exam candidates could access everything they learned if they took thiamine the day before examination during study and then directly before the exam, I've been experimenting with varying doses of thiamine hcl. All futile because the more I would take the more tired and demotivated I would get. I didn't figure out why at the time but came across Dr. Weil's webpage yesterday where he says drowsiness and muscular fatigue is a common side effect of thiamine supplementation (above 100mg?).

When Charlie revived Dr. Lonsdale's ideas, I remembered B1 was also critical for glucose oxidation and wanted to experiment again. Only if I tapped 5-20 mg thiamine hcl out of the capsule with a meal did I not experience too much discomfort but there was certainly no perceivable benefit.

I was attracted to Benfo over Alli or Lippo because I tend to want to maximize utility (17 bucks vs 30-40). Lonsdale prefers the latter two and isnt a fan of Benfo (because of some enzymatic reaction it has to undergo before being useful?) but I have not noticed a problem and feel that my body has been able to use it considering how much starch (white rice, Dutch potatoes) I've had to add to my diet in order to have energy in the gym. I wasn't taking Benfo for cognitive benefits but I may test it if I decide to go down the CPA route.

Side note, I'm not trying to bash thiamine hcl, even though my last few posts have not been positive about it. Maybe the brand I was using was garbage (Swanson.. I haven't forgotten their TRAACS magnesium scandal). Benfotiamine is just so much better. I trust Japanese innovation.
What is Alli and Lippo?

SB4

What is Alli and Lippo?
Allithiamine and Lipotiamine I presume. As far as I am aware they contain fat or some other molecules that allow them to absorb from gut better and get into cells better. Some docs recommend these over regular thiamine although they are more expensive.

Hildy

Allithiamine and Lipotiamine I presume. As far as I am aware they contain fat or some other molecules that allow them to absorb from gut better and get into cells better. Some docs recommend these over regular thiamine although they are more expensive.
Thanks! Yeah that's what I thought....didn't read all the posts that mentioned this

I've read in other forums that large doses of B1 will deplete B2 faster. And this is likely the case for sure if you are dosing regularly. B2 is needed for burning fat and activating the other B-vitamins. You are likely losing the ability to burn fats.

Read what I wrote to tarmander. Are you supplementing the other Bs in some what similar doses? It appears too easy to disrupt the other Bs when not supplementing others. B1 will drop B2 and no doubt the others. You gained a few pounds, which is likely fat but because thiamine is very good at reducing edema you are holding on to less water in general.

It is probably a good idea to always have the other Bs supplemented then higher doses of one will not cause imbalance. Just my 2 cents.

For example my B complex:

25mg B1
20mg B2
25mg B3
5mg B6
400mcg folic acid
1mg biotin
5.5mg pantothenic acid
60mg vitamin C

And along with that I have been dosing 100mg B2 and 2g vitamin C per meal for a personal experiment. That way I always have a baseline to keep up with higher doses of B2(or B1 in your case). I can take the B complex as many times as I need or even just once a day. But its always there to back up my higher doses of B2 and C. I have never not screwed myself from just taking a few Bs and not taking others.

thank you. Good points.

Hildy

Just glancing around I noticed Dr. Berg is pretty different in approach than Peat. He seems aligned with the whole idea that low-carb is ideal for diabetes 2, which kind of goes against the idea here that restricting carbs is usually not a solution but maybe a band-aid at best for certain illnesses.

Not saying he makes bad points with B1, but at what level we can consider something "anti-Peat" is probably always going to be debatable. For example, people will -- on the surface level at least -- might be bound to consider anyone pro carbs, dairy, sugar, salt, etc. to be Peaty. The thing is when we branch out or approach subjects differently you get a mixed up idea on Peat-like principles and kind of thinking somewhat outside the "Peat box" you could say (like with the whole Vit. A toxicity & such).

But also, isn't it true that many deficiencies can technically mimic various conditions anyways? I don't think this is limited to B1 problems only. Niacin/stomach/brain are connected too, along with the addition of various other combinations everything can work in.
I like Dr. Berg. But he is very anti- fructose. Total opposite of Dr. Peat. In fact the keto-ian's think fructose is evil. Even worse than sugar. Still haven't figured that out. He does recommend the keto "approved" fruits like berries in small amounts. That's what bothers me about Keto. IMO fruit is great for the nutrients and fiber it provides.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Benfotiamine compared to Thiamine HCl is like night and day. Better be ready with the carbs if you're gonna dip into Benfoland. Amazing sugar oxidation potential. Almost impossible for me to stay ahead of the sugar needs but I am giving it my all to see where it goes. Loading up on carbs before hand and also after is a necessity for myself. I also notice magnesium and potassium are called on heavily.

I know someone personally with extreme beriberi(wet beriberi and dry beriberi) and they started on Benfotiamine today, hoping for the best. Beriberi was diagnosed by the hospital but they said there is nothing they can do. Can you freaking believe it? Scandalous.

Hildy

Benfotiamine compared to Thiamine HCl is like night and day. Better be ready with the carbs if you're gonna dip into Benfoland. Amazing sugar oxidation potential. Almost impossible for me to stay ahead of the sugar needs but I am giving it my all to see where it goes. Loading up on carbs before hand and also after is a necessity for myself. I also notice magnesium and potassium are called on heavily.

I know someone personally with extreme beriberi(wet beriberi and dry beriberi) and they started on Benfotiamine today, hoping for the best. Beriberi was diagnosed by the hospital but they said there is nothing they can do. Can you freaking believe it? Scandalous.
When you say "Benfotiamine compared to Thiamine HCI is like night and day" do you mean Benfotiamine is superior to Thiamine HCI in what it does for you?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When you say "Benfotiamine compared to Thiamine HCI is like night and day" do you mean Benfotiamine is superior to Thiamine HCI in what it does for you?
Yes mam, I feel that Benfotiamine and Allithiamine are superior to Thiamine HCl. Dr. Lonsdale and his work has shown that the transport mechanism can be broken which delivers thiamine into the cells. The fat soluble thiamines(Benfo and Alli) bypass this broken mechanism and drives the thiamine to where it needs to be. Also, if you check out the study posted above Benfo has incredible sugar oxidation powers, more then HCl. With that said I still take a bit of HCl but have been bringing in the fat solubles thiamines with it.

Hildy

Yes mam, I feel that Benfotiamine and Allithiamine are superior to Thiamine HCl. Dr. Lonsdale and his work has shown that the transport mechanism can be broken which delivers thiamine into the cells. The fat soluble thiamines(Benfo and Alli) bypass this broken mechanism and drives the thiamine to where it needs to be. Also, if you check out the study posted above Benfo has incredible sugar oxidation powers, more then HCl. With that said I still take a bit of HCl but have been bringing in the fat solubles thiamines with it.
I already take the Thiamine HCl and feel pretty good with it, but if these other ones are superior, which one should I try first: the Benfotiamine or Allithiamine? Is there one that's better if you are a low methylator?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals