Vitamin B1 Dosage

kettlebell

Hi Everyone I am about to start taking B1 to help with increasing the use of consumed sugar into energy.

What sort of dosage is a good idea. I am taking this alongside niacinamide.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:bump

Birdie

Oh, I threw mine out when I started reading RP. Probably, it had some bad ingredients added.

I have no idea what Ray recommends on B1. It looks like we don't get a lot from the foods we eat.

Last edited:
OP
K

kettlebell

Well the brand I have has 100mg per tablet. On the bottle it says 1 a day. I a unsure as to whether this is too excessive or not.

cliff

It is best to take physiological doses(2-10mg) with food. Also getting pure B1 powder is important.

Birdie

cliff said:
It is best to take physiological doses(2-10mg) with food. Also getting pure B1 powder is important.
Thanks, Cliff.
I'm going to look into the powder at purebulk I guess. Does anybody know how it tastes? I don't want to put it in capsules.

Ray-Z

cliff said:

2-10 mg seems a bit low. Am I missing something? The label on my B1 (from Beyond a Century) suggests a dose of 150-300 mg 2-3X daily. (EDIT: I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Cliff; I just find the discrepancy surprising.)

By the way, Cliff, thanks for recommending the powdered B vitamins from BAC. They're great. And yes, they taste NASTY! I take them in salty water.

cliff

They sell the supplements so obviously they want you to take as much as possible :)

I take about 10mg 3 times a day.

OP
K

kettlebell

Thanks Cliff,

Will look for powder as it seems 100mg in one go in tablet form is a double nono.

bradley

Anyone here try Benfotiamine? Supposedly much better absorbed, and fat soluble. I have the Life Extension brand of it.

Wilfrid

The brand I like is Metabolics.
It's a british company and they have both liquid forms of activated B1 and B6.
The ingredients are thiamin pyrophosphate and purified water for the liquid B1 and P5P and purified water for the B6.
The dosage is really easy and absorption really optimal.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Bump.

Anyone taking B1 and if so how much are you taking? Seeing any results from it?

mandance

I take it based on Peats recommendations. He recommended 20mgs but I dont notice anything from it. He recommended it to help with brain fog in case it was from a lack of b vitamins, but thats probably not the case for me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have been taking it but prolly taking too much. Imagine that! :lol:

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I have been taking it but prolly taking too much. Imagine that! :lol:
17844893-vector-cartoon-di-uomo-prendere-pillole-vitaminiche.jpg

mandance

I have trouble with that also because my tabs are NOW version and only come in 100mg. So I have to break into 4ths. For awhile I was taking 50mg...I didnt notice much difference between 25mg and 50 however. I know NOW is not the most ideal brand to probably use so there might be better sources out there. I imagine it does help in some ways that might not be noticeable with nervous system health in general.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

BingDing

Wilfrid said:
The brand I like is Metabolics.
It's a british company and they have both liquid forms of activated B1 and B6.
The ingredients are thiamin pyrophosphate and purified water for the liquid B1 and P5P and purified water for the B6.
The dosage is really easy and absorption really optimal.

Wilfrid, if you're still around can you tell me how you use the B1 liquid? The site says 1 drop is 615mcg, so 100 drops for 6.15mg, about a physiologic dose. Is that what you do?

I have some doubts about thiamin hydrochloride as far as absorption goes. When I've used B1 in the past I didn't get anything out of it. There are no sources of pure thiamin pyrophosphate in the US, AFAIK.

Thx

haidut

Forum Supporter
I found this thread and thought I'd add some info.

Couple of things. First, no need to take the "fat soluble" alternatives like benfothiamine and sulbuthiamine. They are both synthetic and both are mostly sourced from China and there have been several cases of poisoning. In addition, there are no studies that show these types of B1 are superior to the normal thiamine hydrochloride. The vendors would have you believe otherwise, but the only true fat soluble vitamin B1 is called allithiamine and only allithiamine has been shown to be absorbed without limit in every organ. Benfo and Sulbu absorb preferentially in the liver and there is data that the body treats them like poison and tries to excrete them. If you want allithiamine you can get it from VitaminShoppe:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/cardiova ... es/cv-1075

Now, back to the regular thiamine. It's used intravenously to help alcoholics avoid getting the Wiernicke-Korsakoff syndrome but for a long time there were concerns that oral thiamine hydrochloride is not absorbed beyond a few milligrams. To answer those concerns, there was a study done in 2012 to test the absorption and it turned out it is absorbed just fine in doses up to 1500mg at once:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6904/12/4

If you read the study you will see that the half life is approximately 10 hours and peaks occur at 4 hours. So taking 1500mg every 4 hours seems to be able to maintain high plasma concentrations, which is what is needed for lowering lactate and converting carbs into ATP. Ionically, this dosage adds up to about 6000mg-8000mg a day and that is what has been used to treat Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8251 ... 00m,isrctn

As you can see there was a positive effect on AD at doses 6g-8g a day.
As far as I am concerned, 1500mg three times a day for a total of 4500mg gives me an uninterrupted flow of energy. However, I also add a B-complex with 5mg of B6, 10mg of Riboflavin, and 1000mcg of B-12. Also, I throw in a 500mg of Niacinamide. So the whole combo is what gives me the all-day energy surge, taking just B1 at the dose I mentioned gives me about 70% of the effect.
If you need more info on B1 just ask. I have been experimenting with it a lot.