Vitamin B1 can reverse heart damage/failure caused by alcoholism

haidut

Forum Supporter
The beneficial effects of vitamin B1 (thiamine) on the nervous system have been known for a long time, and the vitamin is routinely used in hospitals around the world to treat both acute alcohol intoxication as well as the nervous system damage known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome caused by chronic alcohol abuse. It has been known for a long time that alcohol can also cause myopathies but medicine claims those are permanent and cannot be reversed, so not much progress has occurred on that front. Now, the study below demonstrated that a relatively low-dose thiamine (200mg daily) for 3-6 months can reverse (partially) the damage to the heart muscle as a result of alcohol abuse.

Thiamine mediated reversal of left ventricular dysfunction in patients with alcoholic cardiomyopathy
Thiamine may improve left ventricular function in alcoholic cardiomyopathy: Study
"...Alcoholic cardiomyopathy (ACM) is a chronic dilated heart disease with decreased left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF). A recent study by Oruganti Sai Satish et al points out that cardiomyopathy when treated with thiamine showed beneficial results. The study has been published in the Indian Heart Journal. The objective of the study was to study the efficacy of thiamine supplementation along with standard medical therapy in ACM patients and reversibility of left ventricular systolic dysfunction."

"...They were treated with 3 days of intravenous (IV) therapy with thiamine (200mg daily) followed by oral supplementation. The researchers found that the average mount of alcohol consumed was 60-110g / day over a mean duration of 14 years. LVEF was 30% at baseline, which improved by 45%-53% along with reduction in LV dimensions over at 3 and 6 months respectively."

reaching

The b complex I am taking only has 40. So maybe take like five times as much? What if I chug b1 with MCT oil? Will that cure my alcoholism and high blood pressure? I felt better on brewers yeast than I do on b complex supps. Isn’t there bad side effects from taking lots of b1? What vitamin B did peat talk about curing his friends crazy near death liver with p daddy timpone?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The b complex I am taking only has 40. So maybe take like five times as much? What if I chug b1 with MCT oil? Will that cure my alcoholism and high blood pressure? I felt better on brewers yeast than I do on b complex supps. Isn’t there bad side effects from taking lots of b1? What vitamin B did peat talk about curing his friends crazy near death liver with p daddy timpone?

I don't think there are severe risks even with megadosing B1. Multiple studies with IBD have used 600mg-1,200mg daily without any issues, so the 200mg daily dose in the study is pretty low in comparison. The cravings for alcohol are usually driven by stress, which leads to low dopamine and/or high cortisol. As such, anti-cortisol interventions have been shown to stop the "addiction". The MCT should protect the liver, as would B1 and B2, and for the cravings pregnenolone/progesterone may help as both of them oppose cortisol.

reaching

I don't think there are severe risks even with megadosing B1. Multiple studies with IBD have used 600mg-1,200mg daily without any issues, so the 200mg daily dose in the study is pretty low in comparison. The cravings for alcohol are usually driven by stress, which leads to low dopamine and/or high cortisol. As such, anti-cortisol interventions have been shown to stop the "addiction". The MCT should protect the liver, as would B1 and B2, and for the cravings pregnenolone/progesterone may help as both of them oppose cortisol.
I see! Thank you for the insight!

burtlancast

thiamine (200mg daily) for 3-6 months can reverse (partially) the damage to the heart muscle as a result of alcohol abuse.

Chronic thiamine deficiency can lead to Beri Beri, very common in malnutrition countries but rare in industrialized countries, as they often fortify their foods with Thiamine. And heart failure is a consequence of the deficiency ("wet" beri beri).

From the book "Archie Kalokerinos-Medical pioneer of the 20th century":

"The luck that was with me during university exams did not desert me during my internship. One patient, a man in his twenties, was dying from a mysterious form of heart failure. He had been more or less 'written off'. His legs were swollen; his lungs full of fluid and it seemed that his end was near.

One evening I was reading a medical textbook. It had been a hard day. I was tired and began to doze. My eyes, half closed, read the same line over and over again- beri-beri. Then instantly I was wide-awake. Beriberi -a vitamin B deficiency disease that could result in cardiac failure. The patient was an alcoholic. His diet was almost pure alcohol and certainly vitamin deficient.

I threw the textbook onto the floor and rushed up to the ward. 'Did we have some injectable vitamin B ?' The answer was, 'Yes.' I administered several ampoules intramuscularly- and waited. Next day the recovery was dramatic. And it is said that one must not go to sleep on the job. At least I had demonstrated that being half-asleep was sometimes better than being fully awake."

V

valdz

The beneficial effects of vitamin B1 (thiamine) on the nervous system have been known for a long time, and the vitamin is routinely used in hospitals around the world to treat both acute alcohol intoxication as well as the nervous system damage known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome caused by chronic alcohol abuse. It has been known for a long time that alcohol can also cause myopathies but medicine claims those are permanent and cannot be reversed, so not much progress has occurred on that front. Now, the study below demonstrated that a relatively low-dose thiamine (200mg daily) for 3-6 months can reverse (partially) the damage to the heart muscle as a result of alcohol abuse.

Thiamine mediated reversal of left ventricular dysfunction in patients with alcoholic cardiomyopathy
Thiamine may improve left ventricular function in alcoholic cardiomyopathy: Study
"...Alcoholic cardiomyopathy (ACM) is a chronic dilated heart disease with decreased left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF). A recent study by Oruganti Sai Satish et al points out that cardiomyopathy when treated with thiamine showed beneficial results. The study has been published in the Indian Heart Journal. The objective of the study was to study the efficacy of thiamine supplementation along with standard medical therapy in ACM patients and reversibility of left ventricular systolic dysfunction."

"...They were treated with 3 days of intravenous (IV) therapy with thiamine (200mg daily) followed by oral supplementation. The researchers found that the average mount of alcohol consumed was 60-110g / day over a mean duration of 14 years. LVEF was 30% at baseline, which improved by 45%-53% along with reduction in LV dimensions over at 3 and 6 months respectively."

Study also showed that it not only improved LVEF but lowered the right sided pressure/RVSP, severity of MR, and decreased the LA/LV size to the range of low normal. It also increased the RV function tremendously! So it pretty much cured their mild PHTN and these pts were probably able to breathe normal. Good study using 2D echo and a supplement instead of the expensive Entresto to improve LVEF.

Thanks for posting this!

frannybananny

Not only is thiamine useful but several recent studies in PUBMED show that an increase in saturated fats can actually reverse alcohol related liver damage.

Sefton10

Association of Vitamin B1 with Cardiovascular Diseases, All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality in US Adults​